ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newly purchased 04 es330 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 11:35 AM
vbhalla24
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I own same year 2004 lexus es330 with 190k miles.

Originally Posted by IHBEs330
Hey guys,

First time Lexus owner with some questions:

I recently purchased an 04 ES330 with 38,000 miles on it. Outside has some dings but still in great shape. The interior is in immaculate shape, the owner had two floormats over the original so the floors are unbelievably clean and everything else is too. I mean I checked the car before purchasing it pretty thoroughly but when I got home and parked it and then did a more thorough inspection I was surprised when I saw how clean the car was. The peel off plastic on the Lexus door trims on the bottom are still on after 16 years. The original owner didn’t even peal them off. Can you believe that?!

Anyway I am very happy with the car so far it’s only been two days but I’m already in love.

Welp... My question is should I replace the timing belt and water pump even though it’s only has 38,000 original miles.

The reason I am asking is because I paid quite a bit of money in my opinion for this car at around $8000 so this has taken me back a bit and I don’t know if I should spend another couple of hundred dollars even though of course that is essential maintenance. I am asking only because it has such low mileage and it was driven very carefully by the first owner.

Should I do it now or do you guys think I should be good for a month or two until I get my finances in order.

What do you guys think any input would be much appreciated.

Also is there any other recommendations on the maintenance on what else I should do.

And lastly do you guys think I over paid for the car?

Thanks a lot looking forward to hearing back!
Mine 2004 lexus ES330 with 190k miles daily driven still runs like a dream car. Original timing belt and water pump though recommendation is to replace at 100k usually.
Old 08-19-20, 12:12 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I think es330’s are the best built Lexus next to ls430’s. They’re just a lot more under the radar since nobody really fixes them up or drops them. I need to get around showing mine off on here. Serious audio upgrades, clear bra on the entire front end, new headlight retrofit, LED’s in the interior.....

Here’s what I’ve done under the hood to my 06 if you want to get an idea of what you should do. Keep in mind I did most of the stuff as preventative maintenance. I plan on keeping this car until it’s done with so just went crazy on making sure it ran perfect. I’m at around 165k miles and still on the original timing belt and water pump. I asked my mechanic about it and he said he didn’t change his Toyota vans until 200k lol. With that being said, I still want to do mine later this year or early next year just to be on the safe side.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...o-my-list.html
Old 08-20-20, 01:26 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I plan on keeping this car until it’s done with so just went crazy on making sure it ran perfect. I’m at around 165k miles and still on the original timing belt and water pump.
I would be careful there. These things don't put crazy tension on the belt at idle like some cars (I am looking at you, Audi), but the weak point in the system is the tensioner, not the water pump or belt itself.

I lost the timing in my SUV because Acura of Portland changed the belt and pump, but re-used the same tensioner - identical Aisin unit as in these ES. It failed in 2014 on a 1998my vehicle at 156,000. I discovered this when I re-did the belt myself and noted the date stamp in the casting of the tensioner, early 98 prior to the truck's assembly (rebranded Isuzu Trooper, not an actual Acura thankfully - very high quality vehicle). This is an example of why I don't let other people work on my vehicles.
Old 08-20-20, 07:14 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Oro, do you know the part number for my tensioner? So the tensioner, timing belt, water pump...I need to look at the stickied thread to see what else I should do while I’m changing out those things.
Old 08-20-20, 08:33 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

I don't know the p/n, but if you go to RockAuto for your vehicle, they will have all the parts.

The only thing that really "combines" with the t-belt job is refreshing some coolant, because the WP is opening the system. It might be marginally easier to do a PS pump rebuild if you feel the need, as you are there and it might be easier with the crank pulley out of the way, but that's about it as far as I can think. I didn't have to rebuild the PS pump until about 240k IIRC, so it may not be a priority item.
Old 08-25-20, 02:27 PM
cacarrillo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, did you need to get any other type of bracket to hold the new non CD Changer storage box in? Or did everything already on your car after you removed the CD changer was the mounting place for the new storage box?
Old 08-25-20, 03:11 PM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cacarrillo
Hi, did you need to get any other type of bracket to hold the new non CD Changer storage box in? Or did everything already on your car after you removed the CD changer was the mounting place for the new storage box?
Nothing new was needed. You'll need to remove the bracket that was the CD Changer was sitting on. After that everything should line up and bolt right in.
Old 08-28-20, 10:01 AM
cacarrillo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gjanz
Nothing new was needed. You'll need to remove the bracket that was the CD Changer was sitting on. After that everything should line up and bolt right in.
Hi, I need to bother you one more time. I found a whole black 2006 ES330 console at the salvage yard and just finished cleaning the storage box out and removing it from the console. It now looks exactly like yours that you bought on eBay . I'm getting ready to swap them out in my existing console after I remove the CD changer. I did notice that my old console had 4-small Phillips head screws holding it in and the new console storage box has two pretty good sized holes holding it in. I do not have any screws for that. Mine did not come with them. I called a local Lexus parts and he said that the normal storage box should have two bolts Lexus part 90153-50010 which they do not have them in stock. Does anyone know what the bolt dimensions for the console in the back rear? Thanks again.
Old 08-28-20, 10:22 AM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cacarrillo
Hi, I need to bother you one more time. I found a whole black 2006 ES330 console at the salvage yard and just finished cleaning the storage box out and removing it from the console. It now looks exactly like yours that you bought on eBay . I'm getting ready to swap them out in my existing console after I remove the CD changer. I did notice that my old console had 4-small Phillips head screws holding it in and the new console storage box has two pretty good sized holes holding it in. I do not have any screws for that. Mine did not come with them. I called a local Lexus parts and he said that the normal storage box should have two bolts Lexus part 90153-50010 which they do not have them in stock. Does anyone know what the bolt dimensions for the console in the back rear? Thanks again.
Not sure I'm following. What are the locations of the screws and bolts you're referring to? I reused the existing hardware when I did my swap. If I remember correctly, the CD Changer box had 4 bolts holding it in, two in the deep pocket and two in the shallow pocket. I reused those bolts for the new storage box which I believe only uses two bolts.