ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Newly purchased 04 es330 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 10:16 PM
IHBEs330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly purchased 04 es330 questions

Hey guys,

First time Lexus owner with some questions:

I recently purchased an 04 ES330 with 38,000 miles on it. Outside has some dings but still in great shape. The interior is in immaculate shape, the owner had two floormats over the original so the floors are unbelievably clean and everything else is too. I mean I checked the car before purchasing it pretty thoroughly but when I got home and parked it and then did a more thorough inspection I was surprised when I saw how clean the car was. The peel off plastic on the Lexus door trims on the bottom are still on after 16 years. The original owner didn’t even peal them off. Can you believe that?!

Anyway I am very happy with the car so far it’s only been two days but I’m already in love.

Welp... My question is should I replace the timing belt and water pump even though it’s only has 38,000 original miles.

The reason I am asking is because I paid quite a bit of money in my opinion for this car at around $8000 so this has taken me back a bit and I don’t know if I should spend another couple of hundred dollars even though of course that is essential maintenance. I am asking only because it has such low mileage and it was driven very carefully by the first owner.

Should I do it now or do you guys think I should be good for a month or two until I get my finances in order.

What do you guys think any input would be much appreciated.

Also is there any other recommendations on the maintenance on what else I should do.

And lastly do you guys think I over paid for the car?

Thanks a lot looking forward to hearing back!
Old 08-12-20, 11:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Refresh ALL fluids. This will be controversial some will say you must replace the timing belt I say no. I bought my ES with 36,000 on it and regret replacing the belt it was still perfect. But if you want 100% peace of mind you can swap it out.
Old 08-12-20, 11:50 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Refresh ALL fluids. This will be controversial some will say you must replace the timing belt I say no. I bought my ES with 36,000 on it and regret replacing the belt it was still perfect. But if you want 100% peace of mind you can swap it out.
Totally agree, skip the belt. The reason is, in these cars the belt is not heavily loaded in the rest (off) position. Other makes, Like say an Audi V8, even at rest puts tremendous tension on the belt. On these, I would go by miles unless it was in a very hot climate/run hard.

Change every fluid in it like he said; I would actually compromise on the AT fluid and just take out the pan volume (3.3 qts), add some Lubegard ATF protectant and then repeat in 5k miles. then do that every 25k. Do the PS fluid the same interval, the PS systems in these are good, but run a little hot and wear out at higher mileage. If you want to be lazy (but still effective), siphon out the Brake fluid res, refill, repeat every month for 3 months - much easier than bleeding and as effective. Bleeding is a pain but frequent reservoir drain/fills will get water out of the system.

Do NOT mix strange coolant in these. There is plenty of good, cheap aftermarket pHOAT fluid for these. Valvoline Asian, Pentofrost A1, genuine Toyota at dealers or Carqust/etc. Do a drain/fill now and one in a year if history is unknown. There are drain blocks on these motors (nice, I've done it), but just do the rad twice and it's easier if a few more dollars in fluid.

Last month or maybe June, I drove a 2005-ish w/around 38k on it (something in the 30s) I figured that was the lowest mile one anyone would see; guess I was wrong.

If the car has not been (heated) garage kept, even in NJ you need to go over the hoses carefully for cracks (I used to live in NYC and New England so know the climate factors). I think at $8k, you paid a lot, but these are great cars. We have a 2002 at 320k that runs great, and are talking about buying another 2006 at 95k as there's nothing better in later models, honestly. But at that price, you paid premium so I understand wanting to be careful. I totally agree with L2K, but do not scrimp on the $100 or less in refreshing other fluids if you DIY - brakes, coolant, refresh some AT, and PS system.

Ask here or google for how to DIY and you can save a lot of money. These cars are very easy to work on, very reliable, very well engineered for both performance, longevity, and ease of maintenance. They have a super cockpit with a great driving position, neutral handling, and pleasing and soothing dash and console design. They have an amazingly low level of NVH. I rarely find a vehicle (and I drive a lot of different ones for work and friends) that is better on those counts. A lot of people with more experience than I (and I have a fair bit) say the 98 to 2005-ish Lexus are the best built cars ever. I tend to agree, and whether its an LX470/Landcruiser (had one), an LS430 (legend), or these 4th gen ES (underrated), it seems to hold water.

Enjoy!

Old 08-12-20, 11:52 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

For the car in that condition, $8,000 is a great deal. I've recently had a chance to see some local ads, and most of the ES330 for around $4,000 were a mess. I would say a budget for that car is around $5,000 - 7,000, but considering the mileage and condition of your car, you've got really lucky with that one.

I would agree to Lexus2000, you should check and/or replace all the fluids in the car, those may have gotten degraded over time. Especially look into brake fluid, which really likes to collect water over time, which is the last thing you want in a brake system.

Also, check for any leaks, especially coolant. Cars don't like to sit, so as the rubber. I've seen situations when the car was sitting for quite a while, and the pump seal got stuck to the shaft - once the engine got started, the seal got destroyed, hence the pump started to leak. It does not mean that it is something that happens all the times, it is just something worth checking, just for a piece of mind.

The same goes for the belt - it depends on how the car was stored and driven, belts collect wear with mileage as well as with time. Don't get me wrong though, it doesn't necessarily mean that you absolutely have to replace the belt, it means that it will be a good idea to check and see if it is still in good shape. If both the pump and the belt seem in good shape, it is perfectly fine to leave them until it is due replacement.

If you thoroughly checked the car, and you are pretty sure that all the components are working as intended, then there is nothing to worry about. Those cars are super reliable, if treated well, they go well above 300,000 miles. A perfect daily-drivers with a lot of features, while still being manageable on the budget.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-13-20 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-15-20, 06:55 AM
IHBEs330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Hey thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply — trying to get the car registered (I’m in NJ) man it was a mission it took me almost the whole day at the dmv but after a two block line and some paperwork I’m on the road.

I still haven’t gotten the chance to check the belt but I may just leave it if it seems to be in good condition but then again after driving the car for just a day now I am blown away. I never drove anything as smooth. I feel like it might be a disservice to this machine if I do not do it. But we will see.
Old 08-15-20, 07:16 AM
IHBEs330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
Totally agree, skip the belt. The reason is, in these cars the belt is not heavily loaded in the rest (off) position. Other makes, Like say an Audi V8, even at rest puts tremendous tension on the belt. On these, I would go by miles unless it was in a very hot climate/run hard.

Change every fluid in it like he said; I would actually compromise on the AT fluid and just take out the pan volume (3.3 qts), add some Lubegard ATF protectant and then repeat in 5k miles. then do that every 25k. Do the PS fluid the same interval, the PS systems in these are good, but run a little hot and wear out at higher mileage. If you want to be lazy (but still effective), siphon out the Brake fluid res, refill, repeat every month for 3 months - much easier than bleeding and as effective. Bleeding is a pain but frequent reservoir drain/fills will get water out of the system.

Do NOT mix strange coolant in these. There is plenty of good, cheap aftermarket pHOAT fluid for these. Valvoline Asian, Pentofrost A1, genuine Toyota at dealers or Carqust/etc. Do a drain/fill now and one in a year if history is unknown. There are drain blocks on these motors (nice, I've done it), but just do the rad twice and it's easier if a few more dollars in fluid.

Last month or maybe June, I drove a 2005-ish w/around 38k on it (something in the 30s) I figured that was the lowest mile one anyone would see; guess I was wrong.

If the car has not been (heated) garage kept, even in NJ you need to go over the hoses carefully for cracks (I used to live in NYC and New England so know the climate factors). I think at $8k, you paid a lot, but these are great cars. We have a 2002 at 320k that runs great, and are talking about buying another 2006 at 95k as there's nothing better in later models, honestly. But at that price, you paid premium so I understand wanting to be careful. I totally agree with L2K, but do not scrimp on the $100 or less in refreshing other fluids if you DIY - brakes, coolant, refresh some AT, and PS system.

Ask here or google for how to DIY and you can save a lot of money. These cars are very easy to work on, very reliable, very well engineered for both performance, longevity, and ease of maintenance. They have a super cockpit with a great driving position, neutral handling, and pleasing and soothing dash and console design. They have an amazingly low level of NVH. I rarely find a vehicle (and I drive a lot of different ones for work and friends) that is better on those counts. A lot of people with more experience than I (and I have a fair bit) say the 98 to 2005-ish Lexus are the best built cars ever. I tend to agree, and whether its an LX470/Landcruiser (had one), an LS430 (legend), or these 4th gen ES (underrated), it seems to hold water.

Enjoy!
Wow thanks alot for the detailed response. Yea my dad is a 35 year diesel mechanic so I plan on doing alot of the maintenance myself with his help. Don’t want to bore you but funny story: I found the car online for sale by owner and I told my dad we need to go check it out. When I told him the year (2004) and price (8,000) he went on a rant about why I would buy a 16 year old car for 8 grand, am I crazy, I should look into something else and so on. I told him let’s just go check it out and just tell me if mechanically if it’s good or not. Any way we went and from the get go he popped the hood and after inspecting it for a few minutes and was like “Wow ok, this looks great everything is original and there is dust in the engine bay so you can tell no one touched this” so after that it was time for a test drive and I told my dad to take it for the spin because if there is something slight he’ll know better than me. He went around the block a few times and came back, parked the car, got out and came toward me. When the owner moved a little further away from us, my dad leaned in and said, Hey man don’t miss this car. Make an offer.

haha long story short it made him a believer.

But as for your advice on the fluids I am going to follow what you said step by step I truly appreciate you taking time out of your day and giving me such a thorough response.

These forums are amazing: The back left passenger window was not working and thanks to this forum I was able to get it working just by using the door slam fix so I was very happy with that. I am pretty handy growing up with a mefhanic father so I plan on doing alot of things myself. And honestly after purchasing the vehicle for that price I was kind of second guessing myself like did I make a mistake did I pay way too much? But after driving it for the whole day yesterday, man am I happy! Amazing car!
Old 08-15-20, 07:24 AM
IHBEs330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

For the car in that condition, $8,000 is a great deal. I've recently had a chance to see some local ads, and most of the ES330 for around $4,000 were a mess. I would say a budget for that car is around $5,000 - 7,000, but considering the mileage and condition of your car, you've got really lucky with that one.

I would agree to Lexus2000, you should check and/or replace all the fluids in the car, those may have gotten degraded over time. Especially look into brake fluid, which really likes to collect water over time, which is the last thing you want in a brake system.

Also, check for any leaks, especially coolant. Cars don't like to sit, so as the rubber. I've seen situations when the car was sitting for quite a while, and the pump seal got stuck to the shaft - once the engine got started, the seal got destroyed, hence the pump started to leak. It does not mean that it is something that happens all the times, it is just something worth checking, just for a piece of mind.

The same goes for the belt - it depends on how the car was stored and driven, belts collect wear with mileage as well as with time. Don't get me wrong though, it doesn't necessarily mean that you absolutely have to replace the belt, it means that it will be a good idea to check and see if it is still in good shape. If both the pump and the belt seem in good shape, it is perfectly fine to leave them until it is due replacement.

If you thoroughly checked the car, and you are pretty sure that all the components are working as intended, then there is nothing to worry about. Those cars are super reliable, if treated well, they go well above 300,000 miles. A perfect daily-drivers with a lot of features, while still being manageable on the budget.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Thanks for the reply!

So starting from the bottom, I did a thorough inspection in the engine bay and everything seems pristine and in great shape, thankfully. I am going to do a thorough inspection on the hoses like you suggested so thanks for that advice I was actually planning on doing that but with all the paperwork getting to that has been a little delayed. I am going to do that today.

Like i said in my other reply I might just get the belt and pump replaced for peace of mind but I will pull the plastic guard off either later today or tomorrow just to see the condition and maybe I won’t for a few months if it looks to be in good condition.

As for the price, after driving the car around a little bit yesterday: I would pay 8 grand for it allover again I am glad I didn’t back out for a few hundred dollars I think I got a fair deal considering the shape it is in.
Old 08-15-20, 11:20 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

The most important part is that you are happy with that car!

Just don't be rushed to replace everything, check the stuff that may bother you first, and replace it only if necessary. With that mileage, I wouldn't expect too many troubles, so you did save in the long run.

Best of luck with your new ride!
Old 08-15-20, 05:08 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 380 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by IHBEs330
As for the price, after driving the car around a little bit yesterday: I would pay 8 grand for it allover again I am glad I didn’t back out for a few hundred dollars I think I got a fair deal considering the shape it is in.
If you're happy that's great. I was maybe too harsh above, I guess I should have phrased it more like that's a premium price for the model nowadays, BUT, when viewed as "what high quality car can I get with 30k miles or so on it?" then it makes it look like a great deal. I did a 3,100 mile road-trip in a friend's 2019 Camry in June. The 2002 ES300 handled and rode better, even with 320k on it (I have rebuilt the suspension once, about 90k miles ago I think). The Camry had electro-gimmickry that was tedious to use and of little value. The 4es with VVT, rain sensing wipers and auto climate control has all the real luxury features I need (I really like those features on any vehicle - for safety more than convenience - less distraction). I did about 1/3 of that 3,100 June trip on the same roads last fall (9/2019) - the Washington, Idaho, and Montana legs - in the 2002 ES. I preferred it, save for the tremendous mpgs in the camry (38mpg, even at high speeds - impressive), and I loved that 8-speed transmission.
Old 08-18-20, 09:34 AM
cacarrillo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Welcome to the club!

Hi, I think the price was about right considering the mileage. In Oct 2018 I found a 2006 ES330 pearl white, tan leather with 98K in immaculate condition. The individual was asking $6800 and I believe we settled on $6500. Totally agree with other owners on just do the fluids and not do the timing belt. Something I noticed on mine when we got it. Both drivers and passenger seat belts retracted so slow and after a close look I discovered the factory plastic wrap was on the handle piece which made the material drag with friction. I totally hate the cup holders. They do not hold taller drinks and my wife never stops complaining when she forgets to hold her drink on a turn. I am looking for a replacement or to strengthen the grip. Any ideas are appreciated. Don't forget to check the cabin air filter located behind the glove box. I found a great video on YouTube put out by a filter manufacturer which is very detailed.
. I just ordered one on Amazon for less than $10. Don't force the glove box pins (one on each side) or force the shock absorber piston on the right.

I also have the factory Nav unit and recently added a backup camera for the car. It connected to the factory nav unit which is already ready to support it with the help of a adapter cable which ran less than $20. It also has a 6 disk CD changer in the console which I wish I could find the factory storage box for no CD changer. The Nav unit also has a separate CD disk and a DVD disk. I also added USA Spec BT45-TOY (bought from Crutchfield) to the factory nav unit which gave us the auxiliary input and Bluetooth hands free operation. My wife and I want to replace the stereo some day but the BT45-TOY makes it feel like almost a newer car.

Blessings and know you are enjoying the smoothest and quitest riding cars on the road.
Craig
Old 08-18-20, 11:44 AM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cacarrillo

I also have the factory Nav unit and recently added a backup camera for the car. It connected to the factory nav unit which is already ready to support it with the help of a adapter cable which ran less than $20. It also has a 6 disk CD changer in the console which I wish I could find the factory storage box for no CD changer. The Nav unit also has a separate CD disk and a DVD disk. I also added USA Spec BT45-TOY (bought from Crutchfield) to the factory nav unit which gave us the auxiliary input and Bluetooth hands free operation. My wife and I want to replace the stereo some day but the BT45-TOY makes it feel like almost a newer car.
Keep your eye open on eBay, I bought one last month for about 35 bucks. At the time, there were a few up for sale, sadly I don't see any right now.

Our Center Console CD Changer was busted when we got our ES330 last year. After I put in a new head unit, I pulled the old CD changer and added the standard storage box. It was so nice to reclaim all that center console space. Good luck on locating one!
Old 08-18-20, 06:52 PM
cacarrillo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks.

Does the storage box you found listed by itself?
Old 08-18-20, 07:54 PM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2006-L...rdt=true&rt=nc

It has the rear air ducts attached to it, but the listing was for the storage box. It even had the storage box light attached to it, which the CD Changer box does not have. The car should be wired for the light, at least ours was.
Old 08-18-20, 08:07 PM
prooh
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the cup holder issue. I opted for a third party cup holder that you place between the seat and center console. I bought one that is leather wrapped so it doesn’t look out of place.

It does take away space from the passenger seat but I don’t really carry passengers so it works out great.
Old 08-19-20, 10:04 AM
esman305
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You did good¡

Welcome to the family. I have owned three ES330s, 04,05,06 and the ES300, 03. These are probably the best built cars Lexuses.
I have had an excellent experience with them. I have always bought them with less than 35,000. Did not do any significant work on them but sold them after driving them about 20,000 miles, with minimal depreciation.
I had the same decision that you are faced with a year ago when I bought my present car, also an 04 I bought with 24K miles, paid $8,000. Pristine.
After much research this is what I recommend. Since I expect to keep this car as long as it runs, I wanted to go all out on catching up with maintenance. A local dealer whom I trust gave me the option of changing just the timing belt and examining the assembly. As it turned out it only replaced the actual the belt, everything else, including the water pump was in like new condition. But I did change all the drive belts and the thermostat. Flushed the coolant, the brake fluid and replaced the steering fluid. Changed the hoses and did a transmission service. All for about $1,200. But you don't have to do it all at once unless you are planning a long road trip or do heavy duty daily driving.
On the transmission, the dealer does not recommend a full flush. If it runs smoothly, do a drain and fill, which will replace about four quarts out of the 12 in the tranny. For a top notch upkeep do another drain and fill at six and twelve months and you would have replaced all the the fluid.
The tranny actually needs some of the residue that builds in, so a full flush is not recommended unless there is a problem. Make sure you service the rubber seals on all the doors and lubricate hinges and sun roof. Synthetic oil is not required, but every mechanic will want to push it. I buy the oil and the filter at Walmart and have the neighborhood shop replace it. Pay $25 for the labor. Costco oil is a good choice as well as Castrol and Valvoline. You may end up going to Mobil synthetic since you are in love. I do use the Toyota oil filters and recommend them.
Enjoy.

$20

Originally Posted by IHBEs330
Hey guys, os

First time Lexus owner with some questions:

I recently purchased an 04 ES330 with 38,000 miles on it. Outside has some dings but still in great shape. The interior is in immaculate shape, the owner had two floormats over the original so the floors are unbelievably clean and everything else is too. I mean I checked the car before purchasing it pretty thoroughly but when I got home and parked it and then did a more thorough inspection I was surprised when I saw how clean the car was. The peel off plastic on the Lexus door trims on the bottom are still on after 16 years. The original owner didn’t even peal them off. Can you believe that?!

Anyway I am very happy with the car so far it’s only been two days but I’m already in love.

Welp... My question is should I replace the timing belt and water pump even though it’s only has 38,000 original miles.

The reason I am asking is because I paid quite a bit of money in my opinion for this car at around $8000 so this has taken me back a bit and I don’t know if I should spend another couple of hundred dollars even though of course that is essential maintenance. I am asking only because it has such low mileage and it was driven very carefully by the first owner.

Should I do it now or do you guys think I should be good for a month or two until I get my finances in order.

What do you guys think any input would be much appreciated.

Also is there any other recommendations on the maintenance on what else I should do.

And lastly do you guys think I over paid for the car?

Thanks a lot looking forward to hearing back!

Quick Reply: Newly purchased 04 es330 questions