ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hello! 2000 Es Charging Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20 | 06:29 AM
Zayflores
Driver School Candidate

Default Hello! 2000 Es Charging Issues

Hi My name is Zay and I just bought a 2000 Es 300. I parked it for 2 hours and something drained the battery. Any body got any tips on what it could be? Thank you 😊
Old 08-24-20 | 09:10 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello and welcome!

Are you sure that the battery is still in a good shape? Any car parts store should be able to test it for free.
To check if it is a charging issue, start up the car and measure the battery voltage - it should be from 13.5 to 14.7-ish volts. If it is less than that, follow this thread to check no charging condition.

That said, it may also be a parasitic draw somewhere in your system. The problem is that if your battery is in good condition, and it got drained in 2 hours, it may indicate that the draw is too big to check with the standard multimeter - the stock battery has a capacity of around 60A⋅h, which means it will take roughly around 30A to drain it flat in 2 hours, which is more than 20A that pretty much any household multimeter is rated at. Granted, it is a worst case scenario, and you draw may be lass than that, just be warned that there is a chance you may end up without multimeter..

To check if you have parasitic draw, be sure to have as little turned on as possible, then disconnect the negative battery terminal, and connect an amperemeter between the negative side of the battery and your negative terminal. Let it sit for a second, since your amperage may jump up a little, but then it should drop close to zero. If not, start pulling all the fuses one-by-one until the value would drop. That would mean that the faulty system is now deactivated, and you will have to diagnose the system to which this fuse belongs.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-24-20 | 10:22 AM
Zayflores
Driver School Candidate

Default Service Light update

So I got the car running and this light came on. im new to this blog thank you Arsenii I appreciate it i will definitely consider doing that. I'm new to the blog is there any tutorials on how to use it better ? Also is it alot better to view the forum on a computer vs phone ?
Old 08-24-20 | 12:26 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

So the light on the picture means that the system detected a burned out light bulb. The Light Failure Sensor checks for the current usage of the specific set of lights (in this case, it checks rear lights), and if it drops, like when bulb goes out, or you install LEDs without ballast, this light will come on.

From my experience, the easiest way to find something on this forum is to go to Advanced search - look for the search bar in the top-right corner, and in the drop-down menu, select "Advanced"; that way, you will be able to filter out precisely what you need. And speaking of which version to use - IMO, hands down computer one is far better - it looks better, and it has more features.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Zayflores (08-25-20)
Old 08-26-20 | 09:20 AM
coppens1
Rookie

I have been having a similar problem with my 01 Lexus ES300. I have a new battery, and still, on occasion the car won't start. I have had an auto electrician look at it. Apparently, as with most luxury cars, there are lots of accessories running even when the car is just sitting. I have found that everything is fine if I drive the car at least once a week. I have 3 cars ( a 98 and 01 ES300, and an 05 Pontiac Vibe). I try to rotate all 3 so I drive each one once per week.
Old 08-26-20 | 10:01 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coppens1
I have been having a similar problem with my 01 Lexus ES300. I have a new battery, and still, on occasion the car won't start. I have had an auto electrician look at it. Apparently, as with most luxury cars, there are lots of accessories running even when the car is just sitting. I have found that everything is fine if I drive the car at least once a week. I have 3 cars ( a 98 and 01 ES300, and an 05 Pontiac Vibe). I try to rotate all 3 so I drive each one once per week.
There is no excessive draw on these cars when off. If your battery is going dead in a week, with a charged battery to begin, you do have a problem.

Start with a simple parasitic draw test at the ground cable, and if high then go through the fuse box. Before that, look for VR failure by checking for AC voltage across terminals.

I have had an auto electrician look at it. Apparently, as with most luxury cars, there are lots of accessories running even when the car is just sitting.
If that's his answer on a 3ES or 4ES, he doesn't know the cars and is just not wanting to do the leg work to fix it. Or just doesn't know auto electronics that well.