ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What are some things you don't like about your ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 04:30 PM
Willybee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Only ONE Power Port ???

Hey, I just drove my 2004 ES 330 home from the Dealer's Lot, and I can't believe there's only ONE Power Port.
It's in the AshTray compartment; and It doesn't even look like the little Cigarette Lighter can be replaced with a Power Outlet
(even just for Phone Charger), without keeping the AshTray Compartment Door Open...

Anyone have any Suggestions ??

What's the best place to ADD 12V Power Ports ??

Willybee
Old 09-19-20, 04:40 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

There's one under the armrest compartment.
Old 09-19-20, 05:29 PM
Willybee
Driver School Candidate

I looked there, but not very carefully....

Just went out with Flashlight, and YES, indeed, there is one in the left front Corner !!

I suppose one could plug in a multiple Port there !!!

My Armrest Compartment came as just a bare empty box... Any sources of good quality organizers for this compartment ??

AND>>>> Any good Sources of Decent Coffee Cup Holders ???

Thank You for your prompt reply, "FromFL" !!!
Old 10-28-20, 07:55 AM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really my biggest gripe about the car is the useless cup holders. Coming from a 2010 Honda Fit as a daily driver, which has 8 usable cup holders up front, the ES330's flimsy two is pretty underwhelming. Even my 2002 Camaro SS has more useful cup holders than the ES330. For long trips, we end up using the rear cup holders in the ES330 a majority of the time.

It's been awhile since I've owned an automatic transmission but the shifts aren't as smooth as I'd like. It seems especially harsh when the car hasn't warmed up, and downshifts when accelerating feel a bit jerky and delayed for my liking. Or maybe I'm just too used to driving a manual.

I have an intermittent issue with the windows not rolling down when it's really hot and humid outside. Mostly happens to the front drivers side window, but when we first got the car, the rear driver side window didn't roll down. The door slam method eventually unstuck the window and it works most of the time.

Another issue has more to do with the age and condition of our car but the suspension is a bit noisy. When we got the car from my in-laws last year, the tires were bald, brakes were worn (with a seized caliper), and the AVS was completely shot. I replaced the tires, rotors/pads/caliper, the springs/struts with Moog assemblies, along with new end links, and greased the sway bar bushings. The car doesn't handle like a boat on choppy water around corners anymore but there's a bit of road noise and vibration on bumpy roads. Even the firm, lowered sport suspensions in my Honda Fit and Camaro SS have less road noise than the ES330. My current to do list includes replacing the control arms, ball joints, motor/trans mounts, and rebuilding the steering. I'm just dreading the work. The car was initially purchased in Canada and spent some winters up there before being moved to the Florida coast. The suspension and brakes were a pain to work on due to the amount of rust. End links needed to be cut off in order to remove them from the sway bars.

The stock satnav system was pretty dated but we solved that problem by upgrading to a new Kenwood head unit with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.

My very last gripe is the car is from Canada and everything is in metric! I'm used to the conversions for the speedo and hvac now, but I really wish my odometer was in miles and not KM.

Other than those gripes, it's a pretty good car for my wife. It was a free car for us, and totally worth the money and effort I'm putting into fixing it up. It should last us long time unless we need to upgrade to something bigger for the kiddo(s).
Old 10-29-20, 10:47 AM
Willybee
Driver School Candidate

Default GapFill CupHolders

Had same initial complaint, but have found that "GapFill Coffee Cup Holders" have come quite a long way in the last five years..
I purchased two types, but now have settled on these, which have two USB ports each:
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Important to Note: "The cup holder only can fit bottles/cups within 2.7 inches in diameter"
(A 12-oz. Soda Can is 2.5" dia.) There are bigger ones available, but these work well for me !!!

Amazon Amazon

These supplement and support the existing CupHolders quite decently. I put a triple CigLighterSocket in the center console which provides power to them, and to my main PhoneChargingCord:

Last edited by Willybee; 10-29-20 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 10-30-20, 07:54 AM
TuffDadSF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FromFL
Unremarkable ride quality ('04). New struts all around helped a bit but not much. Plenty of road noise.

Features that are inexcusably missing on a so-called luxury car: No steering wheel mounted radio controls. No quick swipe (mist) wiper function. No heated seats.

As mentioned, useless cup holders.
I also have an '04 but I do have seat warmers and if you pull the wiper stick quick towards you, it will do a quick swipe without squirting fluid.
I also long for steering wheel mounted radio controls. And an AUX plug hole. If only - then I wouldn't have to completely yank the sound system and replace. I'm getting by with a FM transmitter for my phone but it is what it is.
Old 10-30-20, 10:42 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

No, it just squirts washer fluid no matter how quickly I flick it towards me. You must have some kind of option package especially considering you have heated seats.

Old 10-30-20, 12:48 PM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willybee
Had same initial complaint, but have found that "GapFill Coffee Cup Holders" have come quite a long way in the last five years..
Oh yeah, we do have the non-USB ones in our ES330, they're marginally better for cans/small water bottles but also have an issue that they slide around. With a sudden stop, they go flying!! Also their quality isn't that great. The glue holding on the trim came loose around the cup holder after a couple of months. I just haven't gotten around to pulling it off and gluing down again.

Since we replaced the stock satnav with an Kenwood Android Auto/Apple Carplay unit, I replaced the center console power outlet with
USB Ports USB Ports
connected to the head-unit. Even though we have a wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay head-unit, it's waaaay less finicky if we plug our phones to it. I'm pretty happy with the result. If we need the 12v power, we can always use the one in the ashtray.

Old 10-30-20, 03:11 PM
Willybee
Driver School Candidate

The GapFill CupHolders that I purchased came with DoubleSided Mounting Tape Strips to glue the long "Tongue" to the side of the Console.
This can keep them from sliding, but I like them movable a bit; once SeatBelt is buckled, slide the unit back into buckle.
3M makes these Mounting Strips; basically 3mm foam with decent contact adhesive on each side.