ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brake light on dash staying on (brake works fine)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20 | 03:50 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

Default Brake light on dash staying on (brake works fine)...

And unfortunately, the vehicle will not pass inspection with the brake light activated. What should I check?
Old 09-08-20 | 04:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Do you mean the lamp failure warning? Check all bulbs at the back of the car. If it's not that dash light check the master cylinder fluid level.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
GlenT (02-21-22), oreguyd (02-17-21)
Old 09-08-20 | 04:32 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Also. Don’t forget to check the 3rd brake light in the rear deck
The following 2 users liked this post by PFB:
GlenT (02-21-22), oreguyd (02-17-21)
Old 09-08-20 | 04:38 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

I meant the emergency brake light in the instrument cluster
Old 09-08-20 | 04:59 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Try pulling back the emergency brake pedal with your hand. See if the light turns off
Old 09-08-20 | 05:15 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

This is probably going to sound naive but I'm not sure what you mean by the emergency brake "pedal"?
Old 09-09-20 | 12:03 PM
funcrusher
Racer

The parking brake pedal
Old 09-09-20 | 03:42 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

I have a parking brake lever between the seats. There's no pedal.
Old 09-09-20 | 08:06 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

As Lexus2000 stated earlier, the Brake light on the dashboard may indicate low brake fluid level. Check if it is filled to the Full mark, if not, do not top it off before you will make sure that all the brake components are within specs - the most common reason for that light to appear is worn out brake components causing level to drop, if you will top it off in that case, the fluid will go pouring out once you will try pushing caliper cylinders back (ask me how I know). If the brakes are good but the level is low, check for any leaks. If the fluid level is good, check if the parking brake switch is functioning as it should.

Originally Posted by Revived
I have a parking brake lever between the seats. There's no pedal.
You have a 2nd-gen ES300, which came with the lever, all the later ES models were equipped with the pedal instead of lever.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-09-20 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-16-21 | 12:41 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

As Lexus2000 stated earlier, the Brake light on the dashboard may indicate low brake fluid level. Check if it is filled to the Full mark, if not, do not top it off before you will make sure that all the brake components are within specs - the most common reason for that light to appear is worn out brake components causing level to drop, if you will top it off in that case, the fluid will go pouring out once you will try pushing caliper cylinders back (ask me how I know). If the brakes are good but the level is low, check for any leaks. If the fluid level is good, check if the parking brake switch is functioning as it should.
You have a 2nd-gen ES300, which came with the lever, all the later ES models were equipped with the pedal instead of lever.

Just now circling back on this because the inspection is due. Can you (or someone) elaborate on the parking brake switch?
Old 02-16-21 | 02:40 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Next time it happens, with the emergency handbrake pedal off , pull the handbrake pedal back with your hand. See if the light goes out

if it does go out, the cable, or the rear parking brakes shoes may need adjustment.
Old 02-16-21 | 02:51 PM
Revived
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PFB
Next time it happens, with the emergency handbrake pedal off , pull the handbrake pedal back with your hand. See if the light goes out

if it does go out, the cable, or the rear parking brakes shoes may need adjustment.
I don't have a pedal I have the 2nd gen with the parking brake lever between the seats.
Old 02-16-21 | 02:57 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Revived
I don't have a pedal I have the 2nd gen with the parking brake lever between the seats.
its the same principle, do the same thing with the parking lever

you can also try pulling the lever lightly and pushing it back down a few times.

see if it makes a difference

Last edited by PFB; 02-16-21 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Revived (02-17-21)
Old 02-16-21 | 06:16 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Do you have any other light besides the Brake light?
Do you have any backlash in the parking brake lever?
Does the light stay on continuously or comes up occasionally?

Try disconnecting the Brake Fluid Level Sensor under the hood and see if that will turn the light off. If so, then you need to check the fluid level and/or if the float got snagged on something. There are two chambers in the master cylinder reservoir, and both of them should be up to the Max line; if the level is good, try lightly knocking on the reservoir to try and dislodge the float.

If the Brake light will stay on even with the sensor disconnected, you will probably have to go under the center console to check on the parking brake switch. If you do have backlash in the lever, it may indicate that either the cable got stretched or your brake shoes are really out of adjustment, like you drove for the whole day with the parking brake engaged kind of out. Loose lever may result in the parking brake switch giving false signals.

The following users liked this post:
Revived (02-17-21)
Old 02-17-21 | 11:27 AM
Revived
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Do you have any other light besides the Brake light?
Do you have any backlash in the parking brake lever?
Does the light stay on continuously or comes up occasionally?

Try disconnecting the Brake Fluid Level Sensor under the hood and see if that will turn the light off. If so, then you need to check the fluid level and/or if the float got snagged on something. There are two chambers in the master cylinder reservoir, and both of them should be up to the Max line; if the level is good, try lightly knocking on the reservoir to try and dislodge the float.

If the Brake light will stay on even with the sensor disconnected, you will probably have to go under the center console to check on the parking brake switch. If you do have backlash in the lever, it may indicate that either the cable got stretched or your brake shoes are really out of adjustment, like you drove for the whole day with the parking brake engaged kind of out. Loose lever may result in the parking brake switch giving false signals.

No other lights on and yes, it's on continuously.

Is it possible for you or someone to post a picture of the sensor (AND also maybe the aforementioned brake switch) so I know exactly what exactly to look for? I'm having difficulties finding someone on Google/Images.

Quick Reply: Brake light on dash staying on (brake works fine)...