ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Errors 2000 ES 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20, 05:30 PM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FromFL
I was referring to you because your location is listed as CA...California (yes?). What "he," 75damien, from AK (Alaska) posted was for federal models, not CARB (California Air Resources Board)-compliant, so no good for residents of California.
Thank you for clearing this up. Can you give me a way to find the right seller for the cat. bank 1? I am not very knowledgeable with repairing Lexus cars of the ES 300 model, and since I am the second owner of this car, I was not expecting to be having these problems.

My main problem is finding where I can buy this part, and make sure that it isn't for federal models. From what you are saying, correct me if I'm wrong, I need to buy a CARB-compliant part from a legitimate seller.
Old 09-17-20, 04:59 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a cheap way out, universal style, but looks like a whole bunch of work because you have to have someone weld it in. Legal in CA:

https://www.autoanything.com/exhaust...50-state-legal
Old 09-17-20, 08:48 AM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

There is a cheap way out, universal style, but looks like a whole bunch of work because you have to have someone weld it in. Legal in CA:

Thank you. I am going to check this out. I know someone who can weld this together. Granted that this is the best method. However, I was ready to take the car apart to get to it.
Old 09-19-20, 07:36 AM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bub3Ee2
Thank you. I am going to check this out. I know someone who can weld this together. Granted that this is the best method. However, I was ready to take the car apart to get to it.
Thank you for the correction. Right now I am in the process of taking apart the car so I can get the view behind the engine. We have the part already to go, we just got to wait for the shop to open (Nappa, around 400$) then we can begin replacing the part and go from there. My father has taken apart the engine starting from where the air filter is, and clearing gaskets so we can see more clearly.
Old 09-19-20, 05:35 PM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

I responded to myself and I didn't even know it.

I meant to thank you. However, I talked to a mechanic about the part, and he is telling me that isn't the one. I have no way of knowing becuase it looks completely different from the one under my car. I don't know if it is allowed to share photos of said part with the members of this forum, but it if is I would so that everyone knows why I'm at a loss about this at the moment, and I really don't want to mess this one up.

Last edited by Bub3Ee2; 09-19-20 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 09-19-20, 05:53 PM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

He's from CA though, and the Bosals above are for the fed models, so he's facing a ton more $ for the cats (CARB-compliant).
I wanted to clear this up with my mechanic, because we are at a huge disagreement between federal compliant vs CARB ones..I am indeed from CA, so does that mean I must order the CARB ones, or can I also order the fed ones?
Old 09-20-20, 03:55 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

He's the expert, with the car presumably in front of him and well-versed in California emission laws, so I'd listen to what he has to say.
Old 09-21-20, 10:47 AM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Default Photo of Piping Below Car

Okay, so the cylinder on the top left, that is what we believe to be the catalytic converter bank 1. The cylinder with the shield and holes on the middle right is what my mechanic said was the bank 1, IF, there was a sensor behind the vertical pipe connecting to the left metal cylinder.

This is word for word what my mechanic said. And it threw me off. If someone here can correct me on this, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-22-20, 07:24 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

You have a three-way catalytic converter system, Bank 1 and Bank 2 catalysts are only supplemental, hence much smaller. The cylinder on the top-left of the photo is indeed your Bank 1 catalyst, there should be a Bank 1 Sensor 1 on the exhaust manifold behind the engine, and the cylinder with perforated shielding on it is your Main catalyst, there is a Bank 1 Sensor 2 right behind it, which I can see on photo.

Did you try looking at A/F sensor output or diagnosing catalysts in any other way? As I wrote before, P0420 doesn't always mean that it is a bad catalyst, it may be a handful of other things, you need to make sure that it is a catalyst at fault before going out to replace it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-22-20 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (09-22-20)
Old 09-22-20, 10:20 AM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
You have a three-way catalytic converter system, Bank 1 and Bank 2 catalysts are only supplemental, hence much smaller. The cylinder on the top-left of the photo is indeed your Bank 1 catalyst, there should be a Bank 1 Sensor 1 on the exhaust manifold behind the engine, and the cylinder with perforated shielding on it is your Main catalyst, there is a Bank 1 Sensor 2 right behind it, which I can see on photo.

Did you try looking at A/F sensor output or diagnosing catalysts in any other way? As I wrote before, P0420 doesn't always mean that it is a bad catalyst, it may be a handful of other things, you need to make sure that it is a catalyst at fault before going out to replace it.

I honestly don't know of any other methods other than taking it to a mechanic, but at this point, about 90% of them don't know what they are talking about and want to screw me over. The 10% that did, told me of some graphs and that they show different trends.. and honestly do not know what that means. I don't have a cpu other than the one I am currently using to diagnose my problem(s): Mac Task Code (TM) from Mac Tools, ET110ANX Made in Mexico. This most likely isn't the best method of testing and diagnosing my car, but right now its all I have.

You all are awesome for helping me out with this, because I know that was the bank 1 cat., but I really wanted some confirmation and you gave that to me. Now all that's left is to double check the rest of my car. Arsenii, thank you, brother. Are there any other ways I can diagnose my car? Also, my battery needs replacing, can a bad battery also give me P0420 codes to come up? What other problems, from your experience, can the car be facing just from the problems I illustrated above?

Last edited by Bub3Ee2; 09-22-20 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-22-20, 02:43 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

The Mac Tools website says that ET110ANX is able to read live engine data stream, though I've never used one, so I cannot confirm it.

Below is a good video that shows basic steps on how to diagnose the P0420 code, though I need to add some details to it. In the video, he shows an old Subaru as an example, which came with O2 sensors, not Wide-Band A/F sensors that you have, so instead of seeing the output of a B1S1 switch around from 0.1-0.8V, you should see it stay close to, but not stuck on 3.2V. As for the B1S2, this is the Downstream sensor located behind all the catalysts, and you have the same O2 sensor there as that Subaru. The readouts of B1S2 should stay close to, but not stuck on 0.5V and not shift around rapidly, because, as the author said, it means that one of the catalysts is not doing its job. If both sensors appear to work fine, and you see B1S2 readings jump around, go to the part of the video where the author shows how to check catalysts with their temperature.

Old 09-26-20, 08:00 AM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
The Mac Tools website says that ET110ANX is able to read live engine data stream, though I've never used one, so I cannot confirm it.

Below is a good video that shows basic steps on how to diagnose the P0420 code, though I need to add some details to it. In the video, he shows an old Subaru as an example, which came with O2 sensors, not Wide-Band A/F sensors that you have, so instead of seeing the output of a B1S1 switch around from 0.1-0.8V, you should see it stay close to, but not stuck on 3.2V. As for the B1S2, this is the Downstream sensor located behind all the catalysts, and you have the same O2 sensor there as that Subaru. The readouts of B1S2 should stay close to, but not stuck on 0.5V and not shift around rapidly, because, as the author said, it means that one of the catalysts is not doing its job. If both sensors appear to work fine, and you see B1S2 readings jump around, go to the part of the video where the author shows how to check catalysts with their temperature.

https://youtu.be/9VZ5K8n5jj0

I appreciate this. Now I can just buy these tools so I can diagnose my car myself instead of having to take it to a mechanic. However, I ordered the part for the cat bank 1, so that's underway. But I'm noticing another problem: when I have the AC on, I notice a smell of gasoline getting into the car. Not much, but who wants to breathe that stuff?

I also notice that the car can have a smell of slightly smokey pancake syrup. It's not always evident, it doesn't always have that smell, but I know it isn't a good one. Could it be that some of the gaskets and hoses are leaking or ripped/damaged? I tried opening up the hood and I don't notice any apparent leaks.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I should take this new problem to a different thread. My apologies if so.

Thank you all. Seriously. Cheers!
Old 09-26-20, 02:18 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

If your cats are worn out, you will definitely notice a bit more exhaust smell, though that said, it may indicate an exhaust leak, which may very well trigger the code you are having issues with right now. What you can do is start-up the car and spray some soapy water around the exhaust, especially near catalysts, as well as all the joints and other areas prone to leak, just be sure to do it on a relatively cold car, since otherwise liquid will evaporate and you are risking warping some parts because of rapid cooling.

As for the "smokey pancake syrup", I am really not sure of what to make of that.. Does it smell like an oil? Was there any work done on the vehicle recently? Take a look at the exhaust and other parts prone to heat-up to see if you have any stains from something dripping on them, that may be your smell. It may also be from the exhaust, since you have the inefficiency code. Look if all the liquids are topped off, if not, see if the level would drop even further with time. In any way, just make sure it is not getting stronger.

Old 10-01-20, 06:59 PM
Bub3Ee2
Driver School Candidate

Default P0420 & c1201

After replacing the bank 2 cat., made sure the mechanic left no leaks, and after exactly 38 miles the check engine light and track off lights come on. After checking with the computer, I still get the C1201 & P0420 codes: Engine communication circuit & catalyst system efficiency below bank 1, respectively. The problem has not been fixed, but maybe the following paragraph has some insight that can allow everyone who is having this same problem something to work with. At this point, the only thing going on in my head is replacing the front catalyst, in front of the engine.

The mechanic showed me the catalyst in front of the engine once he removed the bank 2 catalyst (we had the car elevated and we saw from below using a flash light). The mesh that is supposed to be there isn't, so that means I have to order another catalyst and gaskets. So although I replaced the bank 1 catalyst, now I think the problem is coming from the catalyst that is in front of the engine when you open the hood.

I hope someone can help me, given that the above makes sense to everyone. I really have to thank everyone who has helped me thus far. Today is a really bad day.

On the bright side, the car has less fumes, and runs a whole lot more smoothly, but it isn't quite there yet.
Old 10-01-20, 07:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Did you happen to take a picture of the inside of the catalytic?

Quick Reply: Errors 2000 ES 300