ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

headlights for 2005 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-20 | 10:12 AM
l3xuslov3r
Driver School Candidate

Default headlights for 2005 ES330

Just gave my 2005 ES330 to my son and he's looking to replace the yellowed headlights.
Old 09-16-20 | 11:15 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

TYC is a good brand.
Old 09-16-20 | 11:22 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

If you have yellowing headlights, it doesn't always mead that they have to be replaced, sometimes you can polish them to a brand-new appearance. It especially makes sense if you have HID headlights, which are blisteringly expensive. Please follow the video below for more information.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-16-20 | 11:46 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Be skeptical of any video that claims a fix is permanent.
Old 09-16-20 | 12:36 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Be skeptical of any video that claims a fix is permanent.
Well, nothing in this world is permanent, as well as this method.. That said, the beauty of it is that the wrap blocks UV raises from entering. With proper install and no holes in the film, this solution may very well outlast the stock coating. And the best part is that if the film will get hazed or damaged, it can be replaced in 10-15 minutes, without having to go through the polish procedure again (unlike the clear coat).

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20 | 01:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't mean to dump on the video there is good info there. BTW I've 2K cleared headlights I did not notice any change in the beam pattern or light scatter. I know technically it happens but the actual amount is not enough to matter in my experience.

.....wanted to add, after the 2K clear I did wet sand and polish so I had a perfectly smooth finish. It is difficult if not impossible to get that with spraying alone. And 2K clear wet sands and polishes beautifully. Have not tried their dedicated headlight products.

Also what is the refraction of the film? It will exist nothing is 100% translucent.

Last edited by LeX2K; 09-16-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-16-20 | 03:22 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

If you use good clear coat and polish it afterwards, I don't think there will be a big difference in refraction. That said, if you use bad quality clear coat and not as instructed, you will most likely have consequences shown in the video.

Any material will have refraction, even the stock headlight coating, but it is so marginal it doesn't affect the performance. I think what happened is that you have used a good quality clear coat, and then polished it to the perfect finish, creating a flat surface, which, I think is not thick enough to cause any noticeable difference. The other thing if you will get a cheap clear coat and create an uneven surface, from which the light will refract unevenly, which in turn will eliminate any possibility of adjusting for it.

Not a lot of people will bother going out looking for a rare and relatively expensive 2K clear coat and then sand it flat to get a perfect finish. Considering that, the fact that the wrap is easier to work with, and that it is in similar price range to the 2K clear coat, I think that is why the author made that correction.

Well, to each their own I guess.. I am pretty sure that as long as the lens looks clear, it should not give a whole lot of troubles. Now it all depends on what is easier to do in a particular situation.

Old 09-16-20 | 03:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

2K clear requires painting experience honestly, and a proper respirator that stuff in your lungs is harmful or worse. But I'm betting if you can't paint properly you probably can't wrap either. Another thing about clear film is can fail in cold climates, especially on headlights it tends to de-laminate. And yes it yellows, but takes about 10 years for the best ones. Way less for the cheaper options. Another downside is when it starts to break down and fail removing the film is extremely difficult.

SprayMax 2K Glamour is not expensive about $25, and easy to find. I am not recommending it over other methods necessarily, just saying if you do a clear coat it's the one to use.
The following users liked this post:
Arsenii (09-16-20)
Old 09-25-20 | 06:36 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
2K clear requires painting experience honestly, and a proper respirator that stuff in your lungs is harmful or worse.
Did my headlights today with this product. Lays down great, no orange peel, able to add multiple coats and it remains clear. Its a two part product - no joke, wear a respirator. Best result I've seen from a rattle can
Old 09-26-20 | 08:29 AM
ES300TX
Driver

Yeah, there are a lot of solutions for yellowing headlights depending on how much time you want to spend on them and the degree to which they are yellowed. I prefer to just use some McGuires PlasticX or some Blue Coral headlight restorer and use it every 3-4 months when you wax the car. That works best for me.

My dilemma is now what to do now that I have condensation inside the headlight buckets. I don't want to have to buy new buckets as I have spend a record amount of money on vehicles this year.