ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES300 Power locks not working after sitting for several hours, work after driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 06:34 PM
NewSlang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 ES300 Power locks not working after sitting for several hours, work after driving.

So I've run into a strange issue with my power locks on my 1998 ES300 that I just got today. After about 5 hours of leaving my car in the heat, under the sun, (114 degrees Fahrenheit), I came back to my car to find the power locks malfunctioning. First, the rear drivers side door wouldn't unlock but after getting into the car I realized I couldn't fully lock the driver's side driver door within the cabin. After driving for about 15-20 and letting the car sit for about an hour, I checked my car again and the doors lock and unlock just fine. My question is could this possibly be the battery? I originally got my car last November and since then I haven't changed the battery and I have no idea when the battery has been changed. I also noticed that every once in a while, after starting the car in the morning, if I turned the volume on the radio up or down I would notice a delay of about 3-5 seconds until it changed the volume. This would happen for about a minute and then the volume **** would work normally. I wasn't sure if this issue coincides with the power locks but I was just curious. As always, any and all thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Last edited by NewSlang; 09-29-20 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-30-20, 05:40 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Is it the first time you ran into an issue with locks? If it is, then it is probably just some kind of small glitch that you don't need to worry about.

Did the car start right away? If there is not enough battery juice to power lock actuators, it would not start-up either. You can get you battery checked for free at any major car parts store in a few minutes, if it won't pass, it would definitely need replacing.

The driver's door may be malfunctioning because of a bad Lock Actuator (P/N: 69120-33020). Driver's door is the most loaded one in terms of locking, hence why it is usually the one to go out first. In my case, it would occasionally not lock or unlock all the way, it was made even worse when I had to re-program my remote. Though that said, my car has over 200,000 miles on the clock, so it is about time for it to give out, and I was lucky enough to have a new one lying around.. To test it, you can lock and unlock the door in question a couple of times, see if the issue would repeat; if not, I would probably just leave it alone for now.

As for the rear door, I am not exactly sure.. Did you try to unlock it manually? Was it stuck or anything? Even things like a handle that is not released all the way will prevent the door from locking or unlocking, since it will put a load on the actuator, which it wasn't designed for. You will probably need to wait and see if the issue would show itself again, otherwise, there is nothing to worry about.

I don't think your volume issues have something to do with door locks, the audio system is not connected to the ECU in any way, it is a standalone system, meaning that there is no direct connection between the radio and any other system in the car. It is probably a head unit itself that is giving up the ghost, maybe a volume rheostat is getting bad..? I am not sure about that though..

Hope this helps and best if luck!
The following users liked this post:
NewSlang (09-30-20)