ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Steering slips going 70mph, Highway curve!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 09:47 AM
marjaz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering slips going 70mph, Highway curve!

Greetings.

1994 Lexus ES-300. Recently had the transmission replaced. It works fine, Just threw this in there because im thinking they pinched a hose or something while replacing the transmission because its never done this before but as im driving on the highway, and when a slightly sharp curve comes, as im getting into the curve where I have to actually turn the wheel slightly the car actually kind of slips like it doesnt want to turn but then turns like its supposed to. I had to hit the brake because it scared the crap out of me the first time it did it. Its when im turning into the left curves. Turning right it doesnt do it. Is there anything with the power steering system I should be looking at? I had the whole front end checked out by a reputable alignment shop. I recently thought about this after I had taken it to them to check out the alignment, so its aligned well and none of the working parts of that is damaged.
Old 10-06-20, 10:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

First stop driving the car. Second, have it towed back to the shop I assume they will stand by their work? Or are you comfortable working on cars?
Old 10-06-20, 10:51 AM
marjaz
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
First stop driving the car. Second, have it towed back to the shop I assume they will stand by their work? Or are you comfortable working on cars?
I'm comfortable with working on cars, I just need to know what I'm looking at and how to do it!!! I kind of don't want to take it back to them unless the transmission acts up because i believe nothing was ever wrong with the transmission because they change it and it was still doing the same thing and they ended up replacing the PCM AND the wires leading to it!!!! but otherwise, if I do take it back to them, what do I tell them?
Old 10-06-20, 11:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Maybe something simple like a loose power steering belt? Low on power steering fluid? Ball joints binding? Damaged steering rack? Kinked/pinched metal or rubber PS line? Something obstructing the steering shaft/U-joint? Lift the vehicle and have a look.

Sorry to hear you had a transmission replaced when it was perfectly fine.
Old 10-06-20, 11:25 AM
marjaz
Driver

Those all sound like viable solutions, very good solutions!!!! Thank you so much and yes, that's just my thought process on the whole thing because I had been doing alot of research and took it to one shop that did all the testing on it and they came up with the wiring goin to the box was bad and I told them that when I dropped it off......not gonna name names but u know how these transmission shops do lol.....I will get to checking all of those suggestions!!! thank you again!!!!
Old 10-06-20, 12:16 PM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you saying the transmission slips or the entire car slips?

Based on your initial description I'd be looking for loose components in the steering linkage that would make it feel like you've turned the wheel but didn't receive an appropriate response out of the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
marjaz (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 02:36 PM
marjaz
Driver

oh no, Mavisky, its like ur truckin along and that curve on the highway comes and you go to turn with the curve and for like a 1 and a half second, the steering wheel turns but the car keeps straight, then it snaps back and turns.......when it happens, I brake at the same time so its like a split second thing!!! The transmission is good!!! The tac and speedometer works when they want too tho lol
Old 11-14-20, 01:18 PM
ratkins1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marjaz
Greetings.

1994 Lexus ES-300. Recently had the transmission replaced. It works fine, Just threw this in there because im thinking they pinched a hose or something while replacing the transmission because its never done this before but as im driving on the highway, and when a slightly sharp curve comes, as im getting into the curve where I have to actually turn the wheel slightly the car actually kind of slips like it doesnt want to turn but then turns like its supposed to. I had to hit the brake because it scared the crap out of me the first time it did it. Its when im turning into the left curves. Turning right it doesnt do it. Is there anything with the power steering system I should be looking at? I had the whole front end checked out by a reputable alignment shop. I recently thought about this after I had taken it to them to check out the alignment, so its aligned well and none of the working parts of that is damaged.
Hello,
I am wondering if you figured out what was causing this because it sounds very similar to what my 2000 es300 is doing. When I go around a right hand curve it's almost like the steering wheel just lets loose and then jerks toward the right. Sometimes the vsc warning light will come on and start beeping but not always. I took it to a shop and he said the frame was broken in the back, $1500 and 1.5 months without a car and it's still doing the same thing. Just curious if you've figured it out yet and can maybe point me at what to look to look for.

Thanks
Old 11-14-20, 01:32 PM
marjaz
Driver

Ratkins1 it was the rack and pinion bar or one of those bars that connects to it was loose. next time u take it to an alignment shop, tell them to specifically check EVERY bar thats connected to that system to make sure every connection is tight!!!!!
Old 11-16-20, 01:16 PM
ratkins1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marjaz
Ratkins1 it was the rack and pinion bar or one of those bars that connects to it was loose. next time u take it to an alignment shop, tell them to specifically check EVERY bar thats connected to that system to make sure every connection is tight!!!!!
Okay, that makes sense since I just had the high pressure power steering hose replaced and a tie rod end,. Maybe they left something loose under there when they did those repairs. Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, it didn't need replaced, just tightened back up. Correct? Also, thank you so much for the information. My boyfriend keeps telling me to get rid of it but if it's something that's an easy fix I'd like to keep it. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-16-20, 01:22 PM
marjaz
Driver

Yes just that easy!!! just needs to be tightened and of they changed one tie rod end they are wrong, they should have replaced both sides but these cars are solid!!! If your transmission starts doin weird things DO NOT HAVE IT REPLACED!!!!! it may be the PCM 3200 BUCKS later and that's all it was!!! lol aaaanndff they left the rack and pinion bar loose!!!! go figure!!!!!!