ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ipod in ES

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 03:29 PM
dreday68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod in ES

I have an 30 gig Ipod and i want to use it in the car, BUT i have the nav screen blocking the tape player... So i found I trip but i don't know how well it works. All so i heard that it doesn't work in some cars.... any 1 have ne thoughts?
Thanks...
Old 09-15-03, 11:18 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Same issue too!

Sup,

Yeah, I'm dealing with that situation too. Recently, I got a 30GB 3G Ipod for a graduation present, but can't use tape adapter to the Lexus Fold Down Nav system. Scared to have the thing fold back up onto the wire. Those itrip and other FM things, only problem heard they can get distorted when broadcasting signal to radio. Some people said it wasn't good quality, but who cares, tape wasn't great either. As of now, it's interesting to see how having a 6 cd changer + 1 head unit disc player still doesn't even come close to a 3G iPod. If you get or have gotten that itrip thing, would appreciate if you could post any comments about it.

Regards,
Ken
Old 09-16-03, 02:23 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Output->Casset adapter->working.

Just move the screens and perminatly pop in an adapter. Run the wire behind the screen & leave it at that... Then just swap to the tape deck when you use the iPod.

AFA players not working with "certian" radios. That for the most part is a laod of horsee crap. If it'll read a cassette, it should read an adapter.

Every instance I've heard of about tape decks not accepting a cassette adapter, was becauuse the party bought the $2 special at Wall-Mart.

Don't use a radio adapter. I.E. ones that send an FM signal to the radio you tune to. Those have always lowt so much quality it isn't funny. The only people that can't notice it are people that lack all training in their ear, or brain. (not making fun of anyone...)

Anyways... between the dozen compression and uncompression cycles most MP3's go through beforee they eveen get to you. Which is going from CD to FM quality, then changing that signial to FM and back (which is around the same loss) you're left with music that is unfulfilling and rally crappy.

kwc_diesel - Yes all tape adapters loose quality. However with a descent one it isn't a hundredth what the loss is compain to changing the signial to a short ranged weak FM signal.

Moral of the story... Pickup a good cassette adapter and move your screen so you can insert it. Then jsut run the wire behind it in the empty space. other than hardwiring it into the back of your headunit(if that's possible); that is by far the best solution avaible.