ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket Stereo Installation & Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-20, 09:13 PM
Tuffbot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Stereo Installation & Steering Wheel Controls

I知 working on an aftermarket stereo installation in my 2005 ES330, and after doing some research, I知 concerned about adding a steering wheel control module for the radio, and losing the ability to control the DISP (Display) button on the steering wheel. What do I need to use, or do, to not lose this functionality? Having steering wheel controls for the radio is a safety concern, for sure, but selling a car (which may be a possibility) with a button that isn稚 functioning is a concern, for sure. I have a Pioneer AVH-X4700BS I知 installing, and I have the AXXESS ASWC-1 module. Do I need different hardware?
Old 10-24-20, 11:54 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

From what I know of the axxess retention unit, you don't have a problem. The unit is going to interface with the steering wheel stereo controls, not others. And it's going to do that at the harness, not in column/wheel wiring. That DISP circuit/function is not part of the stereo system.

If you want a guarantee on that, you'll need to call their tech support and talk to them - but it just doesn't seem like it could be a problem.
Old 10-25-20, 09:52 AM
Tuffbot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
From what I know of the axxess retention unit, you don't have a problem. The unit is going to interface with the steering wheel stereo controls, not others. And it's going to do that at the harness, not in column/wheel wiring. That DISP circuit/function is not part of the stereo system.

If you want a guarantee on that, you'll need to call their tech support and talk to them - but it just doesn't seem like it could be a problem.
Thank you! I知 going to see if I have some t-taps for the wires, and to find the right wires I need to tap into, too.
Old 10-25-20, 11:31 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I can use my display button and steering wheel controls with my Kenwood double din. I知 not sure what part they used to keep all the controls when the shop installed everything, but I知 sure any shop could tell you if you called.
Old 10-27-20, 04:27 PM
gjanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used that kit and it doesn't affect the Display button. The instructions are kind of vague but when you're connecting the Black/Green wire to Pin 8 on the radio harness, make sure you're connecting to the correct harness. It's not the main harness that connects to the head unit, but another 20 pin harness used for the SWC.
Old 10-30-20, 08:35 AM
Tuffbot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gjanz
I used that kit and it doesn't affect the Display button. The instructions are kind of vague but when you're connecting the Black/Green wire to Pin 8 on the radio harness, make sure you're connecting to the correct harness. It's not the main harness that connects to the head unit, but another 20 pin harness used for the SWC.
The steering wheel controls are working now, since I致e redone the connections and did a direct ground connection to a metal bolt. The issue I now have, is a high pitched whine from the front right speaker when at low volume or on a call.