ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2006 ES350 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 03:28 PM
LexUhs65
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile 2006 ES350 Purchase

Good afternoon all! Just want to thank everyone for the many insights I have gained from the forum! The advice and tips you've given got me to my first Lexus - 2015 ES350. It is a fantastic car!

I have come across a 50K mile 2006 ES300 in fantastic shape with perfect maint. records. I would love to pick this up for our family!

For those of you that have had both generations, how does the 2006 compare to the 2015 in terms of ride smoothness, road noise and wind noise at highway speed?
Asking as I have not found one locally to test drive and I will be travelling a distance to pick this one up. Any input you have would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Old 10-26-20, 09:24 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 320 Posts

Hi. You'd probably be better off asking this in the newer forum; people here are unlikely to own both generations that far apart. Owners there are more likely to have had a 4es in the past.

offhand, I'd say if the 2015 is as good as the 2006, it's stellar. Because the 4es is outstanding in those regards and there are modern cars that aren't as good - and from Toyota/Lexus.

Not exactly answering your question apple-to-apple, but in 9/2019 I did a 1,500 mile road trip in WA, ID, MT in a VERY well maintained 2002 ES (same as 2006) with ~300k miles on it. In 6/2020 I did that trip again + another 1,600 miles in WY, OR coming back (3,100 total miles) in a 2019 Camry with 30k on it. WRT to your exact points, the 2002 ES was superior on each. There were points it couldn't compete - transmission (the new 8 speed Aisin), improved handling, incredible gas mileage. But for cruising and ride comfort and NVH, the older ES was much better and I spent a lot of time wishing I was in it (until I got into some twisties or I was paying for the next tank).

Good luck!
Old 10-27-20, 06:15 AM
LexUhs65
Rookie

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! Your description is exactly what I was hoping the 2006 would be about! I am in sales for Acura and we have great products, but the modern sedans all seem to miss the true luxury feel of sedans past. I know this is at the expense of handling, but for road trips and cruising luxury there are just not many options left out there! I'm sure the current ES is a great car, but the direction Lexus has gone with the front grill design just doesn't do it for me at all unfortunately. With regard to fuel economy, is the 2006 generation really that tough on gas?
Old 10-27-20, 11:54 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an 06 and it’s pretty good on gas. Using premium helps stretch it out. Of course it’s not going to be as gas efficient as a Camry but I wouldn’t even bother with a Lexus if that’s a huge concern.
Old 10-27-20, 12:52 PM
Oro
Racer

I totally hear you on the grille; I will never own a Lexus of this period even decades from now. Hideous.

I find the gas mpgs still respectable. On the 2002 (same or just slightly less mpg than 2006 if I recall the epa stats), I can get 30 hwy lightly loaded, driving moderately. I also notice when a good boost w/premium, more so than most other cars. "Real" gas makes the same boost if you can get it affordably. When I travel east of here (eastern WA, ID, MT) that's cheaper and easier to get. I can load the car, drive faster, still get 28 to 30 mpgs.

Frankly this is fine. Our "mpg" measure is not really the best way to think of it. There's a move to switch it to "gallons per 100 miles." Here's an example. I was contemplating a used ski car for myself this spring/summer vs. my SUV. Various reasons, not just gas. But I did some math along those lines to guide me as to how important absolute mpgs should be in my decision. Here's the math (can't copy the spreadsheet so I'll type values crudely - I tabbed this out clearly but the forum refuses to honor the spaces/tabs so sorry):

Car MPG Gals/100 $/100 miles (gas at 2.40/gal)
SLX 13 7.7 $18.50
A6 4.2/XC70 24 4.2 $10
E46 330xi 25 4.0 $9.50
E46 325i mt 30 3.3 $8.00
Other 38 2.6 $6.30

*Other" is just a benchmark like a brand-new Camry or other "mileage-maximizer"

So looking at that, I don't personally care once it's over 24 mpgs. It costs me $2 more per 100 miles to drive a big comfy, capable thing like an A6 4.2 vs. cramming down to a tiny 3 series "x." In the end, I couldn't find a A6 4.2 or Allroad (I have a long history with Audi awd going back to the early 90s, so nice to me) that was in good enough shape, or an Allroad that had the ridiculous timing chain against the firewall/remove engine for service nonsense fixed. I ended up with a volvo XC70 and am quite pleased (it actually does about 26 on the hwy, even fast and loaded - surprised me).
Old 10-29-20, 04:28 AM
LexUhs65
Rookie

What you describe is what I was expecting. I was assuming it would likely average around 22mpg in mixed driving. My 2015 ES is around 24/25 - I always am impressed by the mileage it gets for it's size!. I only inquired about the efficiency on the 06 as I saw several posts claiming it was abysmally low. My 2006 Acura TL was quite poor when I fist picked it up at 110K. Throttle body cleaning and fresh O2 sensors and plugs brought it right back up to factory spec. I'm thinking the 06 ES could be perfect from everything you have shared - going to take a trip and check it out- the seats look really comfy!
Old 10-29-20, 01:04 PM
Oro
Racer

Mileage is good and reliable - doesn't seem to really vary a lot. I think 22 average is accurate over time; stop/go driving, daily commuting.

Besides TB cleaning, MAF sensor. I toss a bottle of Regane High Mileage in about every oil change and once in between (so about every 3k) and it keeps things clean and mileage up. Mileage is a great proxy for finding problems early - I track it for that reason. The Regane has the same active ingredient - PEA - as Techron. Just a little cheaper and more concentrated. $5 at Walmart for a 6 ounce bottle (treats one tank), I just saw 12oz bottles at O'Reillys for $10, new item on their shelf.

The seats are really, really good for comfort. Everyone raves about Volvo seats - which are very, very good. I have an XC70 and it's comfy and nice to cruise in. The 2002-2006 ES is nicer IMO. If I don't need the cargo room or off-road ability, then I'd rather cruise in the ES. The interior is also a bit nicer and more aesthetically pleasing, which I find helps with long hours in the car on a trip. You can get a replacement radio fascia cheap ($35?) that matches very closely and then put in any single or double DIN unit you want - apple car play, etc. A few hundred dollars and the car has all the modern electronics you want - and minus the ones you don't want. On both new Toyota and new Subarus, which I've driven a lot, the things like lane monitors, adaptive cruise, etc. are still crude and more distraction than benefit if on and useless if disabled.

If the car has 50k on it, you may have some age-related decay to some rubber components (bushings, etc. - but maybe not) but nothing solidly mechanical should be of concern for a good while. Re: price, one thing I like to use is edmunds.com, you can get a very accurate trade-in/pp/dealer price analysis there and use that in negotiating. Check the date code on the tires and if the car has been sitting a long time, this can be an issue. Last month I bought a Volvo S60 for my step-son. The car had been sitting I estimate 2.5 years at least. Only on-going issue I am having with that is the tires. They fortunately were/are only four yrs old,but even then they deformed somewhat from sitting. I drove the car hard on some rural twisties and gave it a work out (heating them up and flexing them), and that cured 90% of it. I still may have to re-balance them or get new ones.