ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Do you get offended if someone calls the es a camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 02:06 PM
prooh
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do you get offended if someone calls the es a camry

I used to get offended because dammit the es is a “luxury “ car. Lol

and then I went to look at a couple ls430s. Compared to the materials and detail on that car, yeah the es is like a Camry. I still like my es though.
Old 11-08-20, 02:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

What year is your car? The ES interior is a fair bit nicer for most years has additional sound insulation. The 4ES interior is far nicer than the Camry counterpart. I've never had anyone mistake my ES for a Camry but most people think it is simply a Camry with a different badge. In reality they share almost no body and interior parts.
Old 11-10-20, 07:43 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I just bought an ‘04 Avalon XLS that will stand up to any ‘04 Lexus ES in luxury and comfort and the ‘04 Camry is comparable to neither. My ‘04 Avalon XLS has variable speed wipers which the ‘04 Lexus ES does not. Now I know the Avalon XLS is upper trim, but not having them in the ‘04-‘06 Lexus Base models is unacceptable.

I understand that replacing the the column stick wiper assembly from a Camry/Avalon upgrade into a Lexus ES will work. Does anyone know?

The following users liked this post:
FromFL (11-11-20)
Old 11-11-20, 01:02 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardsr
I just bought an ‘04 Avalon XLS that will stand up to any ‘04 Lexus ES in luxury and comfort and the ‘04 Camry is comparable to neither. My ‘04 Avalon XLS has variable speed wipers which the ‘04 Lexus ES does not. Now I know the Avalon XLS is upper trim, but not having them in the ‘04-‘06 Lexus Base models is unacceptable.

I understand that replacing the the column stick wiper assembly from a Camry/Avalon upgrade into a Lexus ES will work. Does anyone know?
Hello,

Are you talking about that little intermittent dial on the wiper stalk? I am not exactly sure how it is possible that you don't have that, since there is no stalk in the parts catalogue without that functionality.. In any way, I think it should be possible to add both speed control and MIST function by installing a compatible stalk. The dial on the stalk is basically a potentiometer, which controls how long it will take to charge a capacitor built into the stalk, which in turn controls a delay between wipes, the switch without that function just has a fixed resistor in place of a potentiometer. As for the MIST function, it is even simpler - what it does is shorts those same pins as the LO position, but instead of locking into place, the switch returns to its original state (to OFF position), therefore only sending a short impulse, which is enough to trigger a "home" switch in the wiper motor that will not allow wipers to stop until they reach their home position.

As for the fitment, I was able to trace the Part Number of the switch that was installed in ES300/330 (84652-2G010), and it is identical to the one that was installed on XV20 Camry and ES300, which means that it may theoretically be possible to do the trick described here, which implies using a stalk off of IS300. That said, the stalk off of Camry will not work, it has an entirely different clamping system, and the one off of Avalon, well I am not sure, while it may fit, it seems like it has a bit of a different shape to it, so it is probably safe to say that it will not work either.. The problem is that it all just a theory, I have no idea if it is actually doable, it is just what I know, and I was proven wrong a few times, so please take it with a grain of salt..

As for the whether I get annoyed if someone calls ES a Camry - yes I do, since I was the same until I got mine. I really didn't understand why would you spend twice the price for ES, which has an identical platform, but then I got my 2000 Lexus ES300, and tasted the difference.. Even though they may seem similar, almost everything is different between them - suspension parts have different Part Numbers (despite being interchangeable), they share close to no parts both on the exterior and interior, even philosophy of those cars is completely different, ES does have something very special about it, something incomprehensive, which can even justify the price difference.. That said, don't get me wrong, it doesn't make Camry a bad car in any way, it just means that they were created with different purposes in mind, for different people, which separates them in two different categories that should not be confused. At least that is how I see it, I hope you understand my point of view..

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 11-11-20 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 03:57 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardsr
This exactly. I have an '04 ES and couldn't agree more. The Avalon has more content than what is billed as a luxury car (ES) and the ES is unremarkable in ride quality . No, I don't want an Avalon because of what I consider to be awkward is its styling. The ES looks amazing.
Old 11-11-20, 11:41 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FromFL
This exactly. I have an '04 ES and couldn't agree more. The Avalon has more content than what is billed as a luxury car (ES) and the ES is unremarkable in ride quality . No, I don't want an Avalon because of what I consider to be awkward is its styling. The ES looks amazing.
Did you not test drive your car before you bought it? The only posts I see from you are complaining about it.
Old 11-11-20, 06:18 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I own a 2005 ES and love it in spite of it’s demon-possessed transmission and utterly feckless cup holders. The utilitarian front end of an ‘04 Avalon reminds me of something out of the Soviet bloc design mentality, meanwhile the same year Lexus ES front end is another classic design.

I bought the car in Florida and drove it home and was mildly shocked that the Avalon rode quieter and I run Michelin Touring tires on my Lexus which are very quiet running. No one has said “Lexus isn’t best”, in fact quite the contrary. But, Toyota does have a car that’s close and in my opinion it beats the Camry.
Old 11-11-20, 07:43 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Adding sound deadener to my doors made a huge difference with outside noise.