ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cel help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 02:55 PM
JCampbell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel help

I have a 2000 es300,about 105k miles on it & the Check engine light and track. Off recently came on,I had the codes pulled and they are p1130 A/F sensor circuit range/performance malfunction (bank1 sensor 1) and another code p0120 throttle/pedal position sensor A circuit.car also started shifting hard from park to drive or park to reverse ,i haven't really been driving the car since the codes popped up ,I just go out and start it every other day but 1 day I drove it to the store and on initial start the cel wasnt on but after I got on a main road and got into it a little to speed up the light cane back on and hasnt went back off. Any idea what the issue could be? All my tools are currently in my storage and not accessible so I dont have dmm to test the sensor and as we all know they arent cheap so I'd rather not replace it if not needed, TIA guys

Last edited by JCampbell; 01-14-21 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 08:09 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

P1130 code generally indicates a bad sensor or bad wiring. To check the wiring, measure the voltage on each of the four wires coming to the sensor - there should be 12V between two Black wires, as well as 3.3V on Blue and 3.0V on White wire. As for the sensor, the output should be close to, but not stuck on 3.2-ish volts, if it is stuck on 2.8, 3.3 or 3.8V, and the wiring is good, odds are the sensor needs to be replaced. I would suggest using Denso replacement from RockAuto.

As for P0120, it also generally means that the issue is either the sensor itself or the wiring. Check the resistance between Blue and Brown wires, see if it will change once you open or close the throttle. On my sensor, it is about 0.8kOhm fully opened, and about 2.5kOhms fully closed. Other thing to check is the wiring - there should be 5V on the Yellow wire and Ground on the Brown wire. If all that is good, you will have to check signal voltage on the ECU. TPS sensor has a direct affect on how the transmission behaves, the car will not even allow transmission to shift into overdrive without one, so it may very well be that transmission issues you are having are related to that code. If the sensor is bad, you will probably be better off taking it from junkyard, since those are pretty durable.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 01-14-21 at 09:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
JCampbell (01-14-21), Mrv8q (01-20-21)
Old 01-21-21, 12:33 AM
JCampbell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

P1130 code generally indicates a bad sensor or bad wiring. To check the wiring, measure the voltage on each of the four wires coming to the sensor - there should be 12V between two Black wires, as well as 3.3V on Blue and 3.0V on White wire. As for the sensor, the output should be close to, but not stuck on 3.2-ish volts, if it is stuck on 2.8, 3.3 or 3.8V, and the wiring is good, odds are the sensor needs to be replaced. I would suggest using Denso replacement from RockAuto.

As for P0120, it also generally means that the issue is either the sensor itself or the wiring. Check the resistance between Blue and Brown wires, see if it will change once you open or close the throttle. On my sensor, it is about 0.8kOhm fully opened, and about 2.5kOhms fully closed. Other thing to check is the wiring - there should be 5V on the Yellow wire and Ground on the Brown wire. If all that is good, you will have to check signal voltage on the ECU. TPS sensor has a direct affect on how the transmission behaves, the car will not even allow transmission to shift into overdrive without one, so it may very well be that transmission issues you are having are related to that code. If the sensor is bad, you will probably be better off taking it from junkyard, since those are pretty durable.

you wouldnt happen to know the part number for bank1 sensor1 for a California car would ya? I've searched allover and cant really find a for sure answer on it
Old 01-21-21, 06:35 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by JCampbell
you wouldnt happen to know the part number for bank1 sensor1 for a California car would ya? I've searched allover and cant really find a for sure answer on it
Here you can find all the Part Numbers for your vehicle. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one located towards the firewall, its Part Number is 89467-41030. That said, at times, Toyota prices are not easy to swallow, so I would suggest getting this Denso replacement off of RockAuto (Denso is Toyota's OEM manufacturer).

The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
JCampbell (01-21-21), LeX2K (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 07:51 PM
JCampbell
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Here you can find all the Part Numbers for your vehicle. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the one located towards the firewall, its Part Number is 89467-41030. That said, at times, Toyota prices are not easy to swallow, so I would suggest getting this Denso replacement off of RockAuto (Denso is Toyota's OEM manufacturer).

Thank you sir,I remembered I had a friend that works at lexus in California so I had him get me the part number and I ordered the denzo sensor fron rock auto like you recommended 👍🏼I changed the tps the other day and it did seem to help with the hard shift issue but the idle is still acting up so I'm hoping the A/F sensor will fix the issue,I'm hoping I dont have to do a drive cycle for the computer to relearn stuff cus the process I read was kind of undoable where I'm staying at right now. Thanks for your assistance