ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear Speaker Connector P/N? 1995 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 01:10 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Unless you buy from an established, legit auto vendor or an actual dealer you're probably buying fakes.
i'm wondering why the speedometer is getting hung up now?... coincidence with the feedback i'm getting from the engine?... i'm hoping ground related?...
Old 03-15-21, 01:31 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Unless you buy from an established, legit auto vendor or an actual dealer you're probably buying fakes.
i only have a small bit of dielectric grease... i think i'm gonna need more...
Old 03-15-21, 02:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Don't use dielectric grease on low current connections, it can act as an insulator. For your speedo problem at this point you need a scan tool capable of graphing that way you can look at the data in real time. Without it you're guessing.
Old 03-15-21, 03:58 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Don't use dielectric grease on low current connections, it can act as an insulator. For your speedo problem at this point you need a scan tool capable of graphing that way you can look at the data in real time. Without it you're guessing.
what is a scan tool going to tell me?... the odometer is working.. the ecu is getting a constant signal... i'm guessing?...
Old 03-15-21, 04:00 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

it seems to me the needle is no longer able to overcome the inertia it has... either a voltage problem.. or... deteriorating needle coil?...
Old 03-15-21, 04:04 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

the dielectric grease is for the coil boots... i don't know if that could be a problem or not...
Old 03-15-21, 04:07 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

i'm leaning towards a ground terminal corroded somewhat... hopefully... i do have a scanner (innova something or other) and i guess i could watch engine and vehicle rpm...
Old 03-15-21, 04:25 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by jerlands
i haven't really looked into the detail of this job.... replacing plugs, coils, injectors, pvc valve, whatever else... but i know i have to remove the intake plenum... that doesn't seem impossible... or really difficult if you know what you have to do.. i figure doing it all in one fell swoop is the most effective way to go... i might be wrong...
After 25 years of use, it is worth while to do some preventative maintenance while you are in there..

You can find plenty of good thread on how to replace spark plugs and valve cover gaskets, once you take the intake off, it's a matter of unscrewing 8 bolts on each cover to replace valve cover gaskets. Injectors last a while if you use good fuel, and we already discussed coils.

well.. i guess the question is whether or not the coils i purchased are Denso manufactured... my understanding is Desno has opened up to after market?...
Denso does make some parts under their name, separately from Toyota, but I wasn't able to find coils for your specific car made by Denso, maybe there were some, but got discontinued. The only way I know to get OEM coils is to go to the dealership. You can also get NGK coils, which are pretty descent, but again, as far as I know, there is no reason to swap neither coils nor injectors at this point.

i'm wondering why the speedometer is getting hung up now?... coincidence with the feedback i'm getting from the engine?... i'm hoping ground related?...
Where did you get the new one that is currently in your vehicle?
Are you sure the odometer is working as intended and not making a mile appear longer than it is?
Was the sensor from junkyard working as intended?

Check the operation of the sensor by rotating either the sensor or one of the front wheels and seeing if you have 4 signals per revolution, and that it is consistent. You can also check if your odometer is showing true mileage using GPS navigator, if so, it is probably a bad cluster.

the dielectric grease is for the coil boots... i don't know if that could be a problem or not...
That is actually advisable to prevent the corrosion of contacts.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 03-15-21, 04:34 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

How to use Dielectric Grease on Electrical Connections in Your Car -
Old 03-16-21, 05:21 AM
oceanlvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you might be making this too difficult by half.
That connector is for an OEM speaker. I hope that you are not thinking of putting more OEM speakers in this car.

You can get a lot better-sounding speakers for a lot less money. And none are going to need that connector. All that is running back there is a 2 pair wire to each door.
Your biggest challenge is going to be determining which is + and which is -..

You probably already know this with aftermarket speakers but you will want to get a Toyota mounting bracket and possibly a 1/2" spacer. This is if your speaker sits a little deep for the window to come down.
Those 2 things, for both sides of the rear speakers, should not set you back more than $20 total.

Beyond that, most speakers come with a wire to connect them with. Just cut off the OEM connector and wire in the replacement speaker's wire.
If you want to get fancy, you can pick up a quick disconnect kit to wire in for only a few bucks.
But it is not like you will probably ever need the OEM connector again.
Old 03-16-21, 10:31 AM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by oceanlvr
I think that you might be making this too difficult by half.
That connector is for an OEM speaker. I hope that you are not thinking of putting more OEM speakers in this car.

You can get a lot better-sounding speakers for a lot less money. And none are going to need that connector. All that is running back there is a 2 pair wire to each door.
Your biggest challenge is going to be determining which is + and which is -..

You probably already know this with aftermarket speakers but you will want to get a Toyota mounting bracket and possibly a 1/2" spacer. This is if your speaker sits a little deep for the window to come down.
Those 2 things, for both sides of the rear speakers, should not set you back more than $20 total.

Beyond that, most speakers come with a wire to connect them with. Just cut off the OEM connector and wire in the replacement speaker's wire.
If you want to get fancy, you can pick up a quick disconnect kit to wire in for only a few bucks.
But it is not like you will probably ever need the OEM connector again.
i replaced the receiver and rear speakers with kenwood... my issue was in replacing the wires from the speaker... which terminated at the connector in question... since i considered the insulation on my speaker wires somewhat brittle i removed the wires from another set of OEM speakers at the graveyard.. and also took the plastic mounting base... it seems the wires from the speaker to and with the connector are considered a harness so that was probably the way they were originally available...

Last edited by jerlands; 03-16-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 10:50 AM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Denso does make some parts under their name, separately from Toyota, but I wasn't able to find coils for your specific car made by Denso, maybe there were some, but got discontinued. The only way I know to get OEM coils is to go to the dealership. You can also get NGK coils, which are pretty descent, but again, as far as I know, there is no reason to swap neither coils nor injectors at this point.
i am going to replace whatever i can while doing the job... i'm not certain the coils i picked up are Denso or not... the dealer seems to have good reputation and many sales...they are advertised specifically as Denso...

Where did you get the new one that is currently in your vehicle?
Are you sure the odometer is working as intended and not making a mile appear longer than it is?
Was the sensor from junkyard working as intended?
Check the operation of the sensor by rotating either the sensor or one of the front wheels and seeing if you have 4 signals per revolution, and that it is consistent. You can also check if your odometer is showing true mileage using GPS navigator, if so, it is probably a bad cluster.
the speedometer sensor in the cluster is the original.. the cluster is the original.. i had swapped the cluster out with graveyard but no change, except then i had needle lights (which i removed and used.) my intention at this point is first clean and grease the contact at the speed sensor itself.. i will also do the same for the alternator connections and the 4 grounds in the engine bay just to see if it makes a difference...

Old 03-16-21, 11:10 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

After 25 years of use, it is worth while to do some preventative maintenance while you are in there..
Today I test the function of the odometer on a 45 mi round trip with a couple stops... near perfect readings so i don't think it's a signal generation problem but maybe at a lower than normal voltage?...
Old 03-16-21, 11:17 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

That is actually advisable to prevent the corrosion of contacts.
i had just the dab for the boots.. i picked up today 3oz. of grease and some contact cleaner.. if weather permits tomorrow i'll clean and grease the contact for the sensor and go on from there to the grounds... i'm not intending to use a lot of the grease... just enough to coat the contacts and mating services and seal the wires...

Last edited by jerlands; 03-16-21 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 03:39 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Well.. I'm not so stupid after all... maybe... i found a ground that seems to have resolved the speedometer (loose connection on ED ground point.). i've test it numerous starts and stops... who knows though... but... it didn't take care of the engine feedback in the stereo system...

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Connector P/N? 1995 ES300