ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1990 Lexus ES 250 Reminds Us Of the Early Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 12:37 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default 1990 Lexus ES 250 Reminds Us Of the Early Days

1990 Lexus ES 250 Reminds Us Of the Early Days
By Brett Foote

This very nice first-year ES 250 takes us back in a different way.

The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 12:58 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, that is one beautiful Lexus
Old 06-01-21, 01:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I always liked these cars. I’ve wanted one for a long time but parts aren’t easy to find. They’re pretty rare these days.
Old 06-01-21, 03:26 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Well, the 1st-gen ES is the car I do love, but the one that I've always had some issues justifying. It is interesting now that it became so rare, and more of a throwback to the better times when sun was brighter and the grass was greener, but back in the day, it cost literally the same as the X80 Cressida, which beats in flat on all accounts - more space, more power, RWD, etc. From the other side, it was never sold as Windom in Japan, that badge only appeared from the second generation, but it did have a counterpart. V20 Camry was that one generation that had wore more shoes and badges than even a Cutlass family during its best times, and one in particular that is the closest to the ES is Camry Prominent, which is also a beefed up hardtop version of regular Camry. That said, in my opinion, Prominent did look a touch better, mostly because of comically oversized bumpers on the ES, demanded by US bumper regulations, as well as the list of available options on the Prominent was quite a bit longer, only 4WD and electronic cluster alone are worth a ton.

It is important to understand that I am not trying to mock the ES in any way, all that is more to tell why it is so rare nowadays. While it wasn't really a huge success, it did serve a valuable lesson, which became a reason why we can now admire cars like 2nd generation ES and all that followed, which, while still sharing the same platform, became their own entity, separate from the Camry. That all is why it is so interesting to look back and see where it all came from..

Last edited by Arsenii; 06-01-21 at 03:31 PM.
Ezroni (06-10-21)
Old 06-01-21, 08:53 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The classic boxy sedan lines of that first ES recalls an experience I had as a teenager in the late 70s. I had viewed the Toyota brand as mostly an economy car maker, of good quality, before visiting the Philippines (coming from Southern California) … our host picked us up in a newish well-appointed Toyota Cressida with the most blissfully powerful air conditioning! I’m pretty sure it had the same basic angles as the 1st ES (although it was a fat decade earlier).

At the time I wondered why Toyota wasn’t selling luxury cars in the ‘States, and I was further impressed with Toyota when I noticed lots of HiAce small vans on that same trip.

Old 06-01-21, 09:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,833 Likes on 2,395 Posts

You are right about the Cressida back then I would have never considered the ES250 over it.

Here's some tidbits people might not know about the ES250. The unibody is not the same as the Camry the roof, side pillars and a few other things are different mainly because of the frameless doors and trunk. Pretty sure none of the glass is shared with the Camry. There is a drivers side airbag and no tilt steering. The car could be had with fabric seats, this version was really cut down the visors were all vinyl. ES250 was available in a 5-speed. There is a power steering fluid cooler the Camry lacks this. Fog lights are standard. Strut bar was standard and fits the Camry. The engine computer is not shared with the Camry V6 because the ES has a security system tied to the ECU.

Mechanically the ES is almost the same as the Camry V6, a notable exception is the front valve cover it says Lexus on it and is shaped slightly different. ABS is standard if one of the sensors goes out you are out of luck there are zero available on planet earth. The sound system was a Pioneer with external amplifier it doesn't perform that great. The trunk hinges all go bad only a matter of time. The door lock actuators are "soft close" motors unlike the Camry which still used noisy solenoids. The ABS computer and system in general is separate from the engine computer, the ABS system is diagnosed on its own and has ABS specific codes via the ABS light.

Happily the dash components and center console fit the Camry so it's possible to swap them over including the instrument cluster and auto shifter. I've done this mod twice this is my 1990 Wagon I think this is the only one that has ES250 interior bits.

BMeek (06-01-21)