ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

***Undiagnosed Misfire Stumped Help ! ***

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 08:05 AM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ***Undiagnosed Misfire Stumped Help ! ***

2001 Lexus ES300
Hello Lexus Club members I知 stumped on this car i have tried everything on this car to figure out misfire p0300 p0302-p0306 only codes showing nothing else checked coils all getting spark new ngk plugs checked fuel injectors all work checked compression all good check timing marks all good swapped vvt solenoid nothing ! Checked the cat converter disconnected from exhaust ran it like that still same misfire I did find some stuff in the cat converter right in front of the the screen removed it the screen itself is all intact still misfire damn it I know I知 close I知 about to take off the intake manifold to see if gaskets are bad on bank 2 somewhere I had a guy come over with his fancy snap on scan tool same codes i got with my cheap scan tool all i can think of is a vacuum leak but would vacuum leak cause all of bank 2 to misfire ? This is a nice car love it ran great long and short distance all kinds of new parts new timing kit and everything else please help hate ro get rid of the car or drop it at a mechanic shop I know I知 close any advice glad

ly appreciated thanks
Old 08-17-21, 06:43 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Did you get the car with those codes, or they appeared during your ownership?
How did you check the spark and injectors?
Does the engine run fine?

First of all, it is a little backwards on that engine, Bank 2 is actually the one towards the radiator, Bank 1 is towards the firewall. The fact that you have spark alone doesn't mean that it is strong enough to fully ignite the fuel, have you tried flipping the coils around? You can also try to check engine live parameters, maybe there is some smoking gun in there.. Other than that, it can also be an ECU related issue, since from your description, it seems like you already checked everything else.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 08-17-21, 07:10 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Did you get the car with those codes, or they appeared during your ownership?
How did you check the spark and injectors?
Does the engine run fine?

First of all, it is a little backwards on that engine, Bank 2 is actually the one towards the radiator, Bank 1 is towards the firewall. The fact that you have spark alone doesn't mean that it is strong enough to fully ignite the fuel, have you tried flipping the coils around? You can also try to check engine live parameters, maybe there is some smoking gun in there.. Other than that, it can also be an ECU related issue, since from your description, it seems like you already checked everything else.

Hello thanks for reply i bought the car this way with these codes swapped coils same codes for all of bank 2 bank closest to radiator no other codes check coils with car running disconnected each one every time engine stumbled a little when disconnected even pulled coils off when engine running put it to metal and there痴 spark on each one someone else mentioned that they had the same problem with there 2000 es300 almost same symptoms just like you stated they broke down bought new ignition coils from Lexus and everything worked again that's just weird that you can have spark to coils and coils can still be bad
Old 08-17-21, 07:12 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 03LexusEs3
Hello thanks for reply i bought the car this way with these codes swapped coils same codes for all of bank 2 bank closest to radiator no other codes check coils with car running disconnected each one every time engine stumbled a little when disconnected even pulled coils off when engine running put it to metal and there痴 spark on each one someone else mentioned that they had the same problem with there 2000 es300 almost same symptoms just like you stated they broke down bought new ignition coils from Lexus and everything worked again that's just weird that you can have spark to coils and coils can still be bad
Also engine starts right up runs good but step on the gas from inside the car and you can hear and feel misfire
Old 08-19-21, 07:34 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Sorry for the delay..

Again, I would suggest to check engine live parameters, just to see if there is something out of place. As for injectors, did you check the spray on a stand? Sometimes injectors start to drip fuel instead of creating a fine mist, which can also cause misfire.