ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

01 ES300 Unresolved Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 03:11 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hayk
Have you tried using a stethoscope or a long screw driver to listen to the fuel injectors while the engine is running? There is a distinct clicking that comes from the injector when you put your ear on it. If all front 3 injectors are dead, you have to get a wiring diagram and start tracing the source of the voltage.
Hello again
I had the injectors out at one point tested them with 12v and could here a click on each one is this the same click your talking about when the car is running ? Also I found this relay and fuse box next to the battery for some reason the 20A fuse is missing for EFI and where the fuse connects to there is only one connection for one blade of the fuse to connect to ??? It don’t look right like maybe it’s broke or is it supposed to be this way ? Let me know thanks I attached a picture
Old 09-02-21, 08:15 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LexusEs3
Hello again
I had the injectors out at one point tested them with 12v and could here a click on each one is this the same click your talking about when the car is running ? Also I found this relay and fuse box next to the battery for some reason the 20A fuse is missing for EFI and where the fuse connects to there is only one connection for one blade of the fuse to connect to ??? It don’t look right like maybe it’s broke or is it supposed to be this way ? Let me know thanks I attached a picture
With no EFI fuse in place, there would be no power going to the ECU, so the car won't even think of starting, let alone driving. That's an old trick of those cars, not the only misplaced fuse if I do remember correctly, here you can find a fuse diagram for your car.

The fact that injectors click tells you close to nothing, the only thing it means is that the coil is still intact, it doesn't tell you whether there is a leak in the seals, if the injector is clean on the inside and doesn't leak, or if the injector is just dripping fuel instead of creating mist like it's supposed to. Stethoscopes and wiring will only tell you whether injectors fire at all or not, which they probably do, since the car will have an unbelievably hard time staying running on only 3 out of 6 cylinders. All that leads to the fact that to go anywhere from this point, you need a scan tool, without it, you are basically pointing at the sky. It seems like you already checked the spark and it is solid, so now you need to know whether your misfire is caused by incorrect mixture, which is where aforementioned fuel trims come in.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-03-21, 07:25 AM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arsenii
With no EFI fuse in place, there would be no power going to the ECU, so the car won't even think of starting, let alone driving. That's an old trick of those cars, not the only misplaced fuse if I do remember correctly, here you can find a fuse diagram for your car.

The fact that injectors click tells you close to nothing, the only thing it means is that the coil is still intact, it doesn't tell you whether there is a leak in the seals, if the injector is clean on the inside and doesn't leak, or if the injector is just dripping fuel instead of creating mist like it's supposed to. Stethoscopes and wiring will only tell you whether injectors fire at all or not, which they probably do, since the car will have an unbelievably hard time staying running on only 3 out of 6 cylinders. All that leads to the fact that to go anywhere from this point, you need a scan tool, without it, you are basically pointing at the sky. It seems like you already checked the spark and it is solid, so now you need to know whether your misfire is caused by incorrect mixture, which is where aforementioned fuel trims come in.

Thank you again for the advice im taking the car to mechanic shop i had a previous Lexus at have them look at fuel trims do full engine diagnostic look at timing again check compression again everything since they have all the advanced diagnostic equipment I don’t but before I take the car over there the fuse box I showed in the last post is it supposed to be this way on a 2001 Lexus ES300 ? My manual shows a 20A fuse in the EFI position and the car starts runs like **** but it runs so I don’t understand how you said it wouldn’t start let alone drive but the car does both im tempted to go to go back to local auto wreckers and look at the fuse box on another Lexus
Old 09-03-21, 07:37 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Woops, sorry, I thought you have an 02 for some reason..

Here you can find a fuse diagram for a 2000-2001 ES300. It seems like the box you showed on the photo is actually for the headlights, and that fuse is supposed to be missing; you need a fuse box located alongside the Driver's fender, the biggest one in the car.

Old 12-26-21, 10:16 PM
supremegro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outside combustion chamber has spark does not means inside the combustion chamber has

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Why did you abandon your initial thread?

You wrote that there was no spark on Cylinder 6, but at the same time, you claim that there is spark on all the coils in Bank 2, so is the spark present on all the cylinders when you check it?

Misfire doesn't exclusively indicate the fact that you don't have spark, it means that not everything in the chamber managed to combust fully, or the combustion did not produce expected results, whether it's because of no spark or no compression. Check that the spark is solid as I described in your previous thread, if that's good, then it will be time to start looking into other causes, like VVT system or some sensor failure, vacuum leaks, etc., for which you will need an appropriate scan tool.

when testing sparks on your cylinder #6 spark plug is outside the combustion chamber while not inside the combustion chamber might not produce sparks or sometimes installer not plug the ignition coil straight and tight to the spark plugs that screw into the cylinder ,