ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

01 ES300 Unresolved Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 06:30 AM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 ES300 Unresolved Misfire

Hello Guy’s
Got my 2001 Lexus ES300 been working on for a while cannot figure out this misfire typical misfire codes p0302-306 all bank 2 only misfire codes exist nothing else swapped coils from bank 1 reset cel started car same codes bought the car with this issue checked timing oil leak coming from bank 1 cam seal

plugs coils vvt bank 2 compression when I got the car had aftermarket plugs and coils so I changed the plugs to NGK and got two sets of Denso coils off another couple Lexus is it possible the coils are all bad ? I had some other denso plugs so I disconnected #6 coil inserted a plug started the car and I can’t see spark at the electrode on the plug none ! Now when the car is running I pulled up each coil on bank 2 and you can hear the spark coming from the coil even held coil up to metal and can see spark can’t figure it out ? Before i buy all new ignition coils want to see what someone else thinks ? Let me know thanks
Old 08-30-21, 07:17 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

Why did you abandon your initial thread?

You wrote that there was no spark on Cylinder 6, but at the same time, you claim that there is spark on all the coils in Bank 2, so is the spark present on all the cylinders when you check it?

Misfire doesn't exclusively indicate the fact that you don't have spark, it means that not everything in the chamber managed to combust fully, or the combustion did not produce expected results, whether it's because of no spark or no compression. Check that the spark is solid as I described in your previous thread, if that's good, then it will be time to start looking into other causes, like VVT system or some sensor failure, vacuum leaks, etc., for which you will need an appropriate scan tool.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-30-21 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-30-21, 07:58 AM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Why did you abandon your initial thread?

You wrote that there was no spark on Cylinder 6, but at the same time, you claim that there is spark on all the coils in Bank 2, so is the spark present on all the cylinders when you check it?

Misfire doesn't exclusively indicate the fact that you don't have spark, it means that not everything in the chamber managed to combust fully, or the combustion did not produce expected results, whether it's because of no spark or no compression. Check that the spark is solid as I described in your previous thread, if that's good, then it will be time to start looking into other causes, like VVT system or some sensor failure, vacuum leaks, etc., for which you will need an appropriate scan tool.

Hello
So I already did compression check all is good going to get that spark checker tool you mentioned and check it that way confirmed the coils are getting spark on bank 2 yesterday but like I said attached a spark plug to the coil ran the engine and seen no spark at the plug maybe the spark to weak ? I guess the tester will tell today ? These are new NGK plugs I installed bought 7 of them extra one to test the coils for spark coming from coil to plug
Old 08-30-21, 08:00 AM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 03LexusEs3
Hello
So I already did compression check all is good going to get that spark checker tool you mentioned and check it that way confirmed the coils are getting spark on bank 2 yesterday but like I said attached a spark plug to the coil ran the engine and seen no spark at the plug maybe the spark to weak ? I guess the tester will tell today ? These are new NGK plugs I installed bought 7 of them extra one to test the coils for spark coming from coil to plug
Also VVT solenoid not showing any codes replaced twice with two other solenoids from two different Lexus vehicles same part numbers nothing same symptoms exist
Old 08-30-21, 04:26 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Also VVT solenoid not showing any codes replaced twice with two other solenoids from two different Lexus vehicles same part numbers nothing same symptoms exist

Hello guys
So the misfire saga continues getting spark to coils 2,4,6 all bank 2 but noticed today the spark plugs are all dry on those cylinders don’t even smell like fuel i let the engine run for a little bit but still when I pull the spark plugs out of those cylinders they should be wet with fuel correct ? I tested the fuel injectors with 12v supply to hear clicking on 2 4 6 cylinders fuel injectors so now what ? Is the signal not getting to the fuel injectors is there another way to test ? Any advice appreciated thanks
Old 08-30-21, 09:12 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello guys
So the misfire saga continues getting spark to coils 2,4,6 all bank 2 but noticed today the spark plugs are all dry on those cylinders don’t even smell like fuel i let the engine run for a little bit but still when I pull the spark plugs out of those cylinders they should be wet with fuel correct ? I tested the fuel injectors with 12v supply to hear clicking on 2 4 6 cylinders fuel injectors so now what ? Is the signal not getting to the fuel injectors is there another way to test ? Any advice appreciated thanks
The smell of the exhaust is not a really perfect method of diagnostics, that is where a scan tool would really shine. Check your Fuel Trims, they should be as close to zero as possible, if they are above or below about 10-15%, that would be worth investigating.. Here you can find a detailed article about Fuel Trims; in short, if the percentage you are getting is positive, then the mixture is Lean (more air, less fuel, aka vacuum leak), if Negative, then the mixture is Rich (less air, more fuel, aka leaky injectors). Pay close attention to A/F sensor readouts, since those are the ones that tell the ECU how rich is the mixture, an easy, but not so scientific method would be to disconnect a Bank 2 sensor and see if anything would change.

Old 08-31-21, 07:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

I think you need to find a mechanic. You’re in over your head and you lack the tools and knowledge to continue testing the engine on your own. It sure sounds like your fuel supply is suspect.
Old 08-31-21, 07:30 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
I think you need to find a mechanic. You’re in over your head and you lack the tools and knowledge to continue testing the engine on your own. It sure sounds like your fuel supply is suspect.
That would be nice but not everyone can afford to take there car to a mechanic let alone myself if that was the case I would have had it at a mechanic long ago may be in over my head but not giving up yet I know I’m damn close but thanks for the advice anyway
Cheers
Old 08-31-21, 07:53 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

If you intend to do the work yourself, I recommend you access the Full Service Manual by Toyota/Lexus HERE

Its $20 for two days access. I believe while viewing the data in your browser, you have the ability to save it to you computer.

The manual provides detailed steps to diagnosing your vehicle.
Old 08-31-21, 09:34 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fortitude
If you intend to do the work yourself, I recommend you access the Full Service Manual by Toyota/Lexus HERE

Its $20 for two days access. I believe while viewing the data in your browser, you have the ability to save it to you computer.

The manual provides detailed steps to diagnosing your vehicle.
Thanks for the positive feedback and information
Old 09-01-21, 12:58 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the misfiring happening all the time (as soon as the car is started), or does it happen intermittently?
Old 09-01-21, 02:41 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmanES300
Is the misfiring happening all the time (as soon as the car is started), or does it happen intermittently?
Hello
it’s constant misfire as soon as you start the car it’s never ran right this is my 4th ES300 all my other cars ran great only this one giving me issues
Old 09-01-21, 05:32 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I’d suspect the harnessing first. If the plugs are dry, and fuel injectors are working right, they must not be receiving the signal. Look over any harnessing you can look at without disconnecting much. Use any basic multimeter and it should have a continuity testing mode. Use that and check the wires that run from whatever module controls the injectors to the fuel injectors. You’ll need to find some kind of wiring diagram for it. Good luck.
Old 09-01-21, 07:09 PM
03LexusEs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmanES300
I’d suspect the harnessing first. If the plugs are dry, and fuel injectors are working right, they must not be receiving the signal. Look over any harnessing you can look at without disconnecting much. Use any basic multimeter and it should have a continuity testing mode. Use that and check the wires that run from whatever module controls the injectors to the fuel injectors. You’ll need to find some kind of wiring diagram for it. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice I’ll give it shot tomorrow i have a multimeter i have not done that check you mentioned only thing I checked similar was voltage coming to the connecter that plugs into fuel injectors it was something like 11.8v and injectors checked ohms was 13.8 or 9 but I’ll try what you mentioned tomorrow can’t hurt
thanks
Old 09-01-21, 08:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Have you tried using a stethoscope or a long screw driver to listen to the fuel injectors while the engine is running? There is a distinct clicking that comes from the injector when you put your ear on it. If all front 3 injectors are dead, you have to get a wiring diagram and start tracing the source of the voltage.

Quick Reply: 01 ES300 Unresolved Misfire