ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low mileage Es330

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21 | 01:27 PM
Busdriver1
10th Gear

Default Low mileage Es330

Hello I stumbled across this group just wanted to introduce myself my name is Rocky, I recently came across a 2006 Lexus ES 330, and I’ve been stored in a temperature controlled garage and driven very little in the last 15 years, I just purchased a vehicle the odometer had 5617 miles on it, I am mediately took it and had the oil changed put full synthetic oil also had the coolant flushed. So my questions to the group are, do I flush the transmission fluid also it seems to shift OK it doesn’t stutter much but it needs to be driven, also my mechanic said it’s been over 10 years so I probably should change the timing belt he doesn’t think it’s dry rotted but he said it couldn’t hurt the battery also checked out good but the batteries also the original battery I’m wondering what everybody would advise to do the tires seem very good. Anyway please advise thank you, Rocky
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21 | 01:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Transmission fluid goes bad from sitting I've seen this first hand. Don't forget about the brake fluid. You will get many opinions on the timing belt my take is they do not go bad with age since they are not exposed to UV light. I've installed several JDM engines that were 30 years old original timing belt looked new. But usual disclaimer, there is more of a risk vs. replacing it. If the battery has removable caps pop them off and check the water level and top off with demineralized water if needed.

Not sure about tires that old, I have a spare that is 33 years old never used it looks new no cracking at all. Would I trust it on the car all the time? Probably not.
Old 10-12-21 | 02:59 PM
Busdriver1
10th Gear

Thank you I will more than likely have the transmission fluid changed ASAP but I am driving on it a little bit until I can get it changed I did ask him to check the brake fluid, the car drives and handles really great, when the mechanic put it up on the lift he said that it doesn’t look like it’s never been driven in the rain much, now I will drive the devil out of it I think I got a good car here but I will take care of it of course.
The mechanic that checked it over is very good, I think the battery is a sealed unit I’m going to change it just because even in Florida you start getting cooler nights , So just for peace of mind I’m going to change it, thanks for your suggestions, Rocky
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (10-15-21)
Old 10-13-21 | 06:35 AM
HydroDog
Rookie

I once bought a 72 Jaguar that had the original spare Dunlap tire that had never been used and at that time the car was 21 years old.

Anyhow I got a flat and had to use that old spare tire. About 15 miles later that tire exploded like a old semi-truck retread tire. It had blown the tread off in one continuous strip, came up and smacked the side of the car denting it and now I was stuck with no spare.

I also just tried to take some old lightly used snow tires to a used tire shop just to get them out of my shop. They would not take them because they were over 10 years old. They said there is too much liability in tire that old.

M2C is to drive to to your local tire shop and ask their professional opinion. Then go to your local auto parts store and have them load test the battery because it’s working doesn’t mean your on borrowed time.

Also while your there, buy some brake fluid test strips and check the fluid. I would just change it. The brake components are expensive to buy when they fail because of old fluid. Brake fluid hydroscopic meaning it will absorb moisture out of the air and hold it in suspension. Most manufacturers will tell you to change it every three years regardless of miles driven.

You got a gem of a car, show it some love.
Old 10-13-21 | 01:22 PM
Busdriver1
10th Gear

Default Brake fluid

As I read your reply I’m sitting at Toyota I’m having the battery changed the transmission fluid change not a flush just of fluid change no chemical pumped into it that’s not necessary at that mileage but I just wanted to get the old fluid out and the brake fluid is going to be changed, so we will have peace of mind about that I don’t mind spending five or 600 bucks on it because I didn’t spend a lot on the car but now you have peace of mind I’m not going to buy an extended warranty on it I’ve done that before and it’s just turned out to be a waste of money, so I wanna make sure everything is good I will go down to a professional tire place probably next week and have them checked.
I will show the car some love thank you LOL I will also make an appointment to have the power steering fluid changed. Thank you for taking the time to write back.
Old 10-13-21 | 02:36 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Hi Rocky, FYI the 3.3 liter V6 is a valve bender, interference engine. If I did the timing belt, I’d replace the water pump as well. My 2000 Avalon had the 3.0 v6, I bought the oem parts kit off Amazon, Aisin kit. I also replaced the cam and crank seals, I used toyota seals on that part. It’s a little money now, it will wreck the engine if it snaps. The 3.0 is non interference, where are you in Fl?
Old 10-13-21 | 10:12 PM
Busdriver1
10th Gear

Default Timing belt

Hi Frank,
Thank you for your response, answer your question I am in Poinciana Florida moved here two years ago from Omaha.
I work part time at Disney World driving the resort buses.
I bought this car from an estate sale it just turned over to 6100 miles, today I had the transmission fluid changed I had the brake fluid flushed the coolant was also replaced and fresh oil, the only thing I noticed underneath was the tie rod end boot had a little crack in it from dry rot but that’s about it I’m going to replace that soon.
The car was driven very little it was in the villages and kept in a temperature controlled garage even the tires are still good but I noticed they’re making a slight noise hopefully that will drive out of it and 1000 miles or so but I don’t know I’m gonna get those checked out also at discount tire.
I went to advance auto to buy a battery because the Lexus battery even though it tested good it was 15 years old they gave me a diehard battery or they didn’t give it to me I paid $200 for it, but I don’t think it was the right size and match for the car so I took it to Toyota today when I had everything else flushed and bought one of their batteries and the battery there was only 179 I took the diehard back and got my money back LOL
with the smaller battery when the car came to a stop it downshifted rougher call me crazy but it must’ve not been putting enough voltage into the car so I got the right battery now only thing left to flush is the power steering fluid I just drove to the Orlando airport waiting for my son to come in at this late hour Southwest is having a bit of problems, when I read your text.
anyway the car drives great it rides great I can notice a little bit of difference it shifts a little smoother with a fresh oil but concerning the timing belt I know it has years on it but it hasn’t been exposed to ultraviolet light, I don’t know if I should be in a hurry or not to do that what do you think?

anyway thank you for your expertise on the subject I’m not a mechanic so I definitely couldn’t change the timing belt, and nothing is leaking including the water pump it looks brand new underneath still has the Lexus scan bars on the struts let me know what you think thank you have a good evening, Rocky
Old 10-14-21 | 07:05 PM
frankymenz
Pit Crew

Lexus and Toyota used to give a month and mileage recommendation for timing belts,
they were both conservative estimates in my opinion. If it was the 3.0 liter I would say drive it, worse case is a tow. It’s a job I’d consider doing during the winter months for you, we’d want Lexus parts or Toyota parts. When I did my 2000 Avalon the parts in the Aisin kit matched the idler and tensioner pulley part numbers I took off. If you want to be certain buy parts from a Toyota or Lexus dealer. Water pump, timing belt, tensioner are the minimum I would do. I’d recommend the cam and crank seals while it’s apart, I’d only use Toyota or Lexus oil seals, seen aftermarket leak. I have the seal remover and installer tool for the cam seals. If you have a friendly family mechanic it’s a job he can handle. I’ve done several of these jobs on Toyota, Lexus including 4, 6, 8 cylinder engines. If you’re comfortable driving it the way it is then it’s obviously your car and your call. Odds with the low mileage are in your favor, I just know I’d replace it if it were my car or a car in my family.
Old 10-14-21 | 07:54 PM
Busdriver1
10th Gear

Default Time belt

I will get it changed probably in the next few weeks. I will not change water pump as my mechanic said wait till 100 k then we will change it and timing belt again. I need to replace Ty rod ends just the boots if I can, I did notice a crack in the left one. Thanks for your good advice. The key fob for this particular vehicle is not working and I’ve tried what they suggested on YouTube opening and closing the door putting the key in and out and it just doesn’t work any suggestions? It must’ve lost conections or what ever from sitting