ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Mouse squirrel in engine bay/cabin filter area. How did they get in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 11:17 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Mouse squirrel in engine bay/cabin filter area. How did they get in?

So found some acorns and rodent poop
in engine bay last weekend along with a chewed up fuel Injector wire. All has been cleaned up replaced the wire.
I pulled out the air cabin filter today and it had some acorns as well as some poop. How did they get in my ac cabin filter area?
the outside vents near the windshield are intact.
Is it possible the rodent pooped on top of the outside vents and it fell into the cabin filter (I am thinking not because then rain water would come in through the vents and soak the cabin filter. Confused on how the outside vents meet the cabin filter. Anyone with a diagram that can help?
Old 11-10-21, 01:33 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

Engine bay area and engine air filter are pretty easy to access, since they are not protected by anything. What's interesting, 3rd-gen air intake begins low in the corner on the Driver's side, you can even say ES is factory-equipped with cold air intake, which makes all the efforts of others to install all those aftermarket units all the more questionable.. *ahem* Back to the topic, here is a Parts Catalogue for your car that shows the HVAC unit as well as its intake.

HVAC system, while likely not accessible by squirrels or larger species, but is still open for chipmunks et al. There are several opening on the bottom of the car to drain the water coming off of windshield, the problem is that the cowl for the drainage system coincides with the intake air for the cabin, hence how creatures manage to get ahold of your HVAC system. Just make sure that all the junk is before the filter, otherwise you have issues.

I had a car before that was parked for a while, so it was filled to the brim with nuts when I got it, though surprisingly, only peanuts, nothing else; luckily, no wiring damage either. Speaking of which, Honda is the only company I know who went on a path of war with rodents and made a special electrical tape that repels them, Part Number for it is 4019-2317, it is anything but cheap, though still worth it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
das1960 (11-10-21)