ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Possible to install a bluetooth adaptor in a 2000 ES300 ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-21, 10:11 PM
Hwy80
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to install a bluetooth adaptor in a 2000 ES300 ??

I have a 2000 ES300 with the CD changer in the glove compartment.
I do not use the CD changer and doubt I ever will.
I really do not want to replace the OEM stereo.

Is it possible to install a bluetooth adaptor without removing the factory stereo?

If so, are there any forum links on how to do this?
Old 11-28-21, 10:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Check out this company
https://gromaudio.com

Old 11-29-21, 08:02 AM
Hwy80
10th Gear

Thanks!

Have you installed one of these before?
Old 11-29-21, 09:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

I have not.
Old 12-01-21, 01:18 PM
cacarrillo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I added BT45-TOY Bluetooth adapter to my 2006 ES330 factory Nav unit (E7002) non Mark Levinson system. My car has the factory JBL amplifier and DVD/Nav and CD. I removed my 6 disk CD changer in my console and installed the regular storage box. I bought my BT45-TOY from Crutchfield because they offer lifetime support and are a authorized distributor. Crutchfield also price match any other major retailer including Amazon. The BT45-TOY has a microphone, charging USB port and auxiliary port which integrates with the factory audio system. Their tech support is amazing and helped me thru the install. I have seen them cheaper on Amazon. I love it and feel it's the best thing I've done not only from streaming from my iPhone but also have my mapping audio over the factory stereo. I've never had any experience with GROM. My next move is to install a android head unit in my car. I have the Metra panel and cables and JBL amp interface and just looking for the right price on the ATOTO S8 7" android
Amazon Amazon
. It incorporates everything and also takes in the steering wheel controls.

Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_581BT4...-BT45-TOY.html
USA SPEC - https://www.usaspec.com/p-322-bt45-toy.aspx
Amazon -
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
cookie4u (01-05-22)
Old 12-03-21, 12:44 PM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a tip, but if you get the older iPod kits, you can then connect an iPod connector to BT Adapter to that, This can often be much cheaper than an alternative.

Example: Buy a USA SPEC PA-15 TOY kit from eBay, if you can find one (discontinued) then buy a 30-pin to BT Adapter, such as
this one this one

End result is BT connectivity AND the ability to use your track forward and backward buttons, which is nice, because the buttons work via the iPod control functionality.

This is what I'm doing on my 03 and I'm into it around $120 for the whole solution, which is less than the BT45 TOY kit.
Old 12-03-21, 04:24 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I soldered wires to the cassette input but you can similarly try the CD lines coming from your changer to the head unit:

Old 01-04-22, 11:11 PM
erc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JapanBuick
Just a tip, but if you get the older iPod kits, you can then connect an iPod connector to BT Adapter to that, This can often be much cheaper than an alternative.

Example: Buy a USA SPEC PA-15 TOY kit from eBay, if you can find one (discontinued) then buy a 30-pin to BT Adapter, such as this one.

End result is BT connectivity AND the ability to use your track forward and backward buttons, which is nice, because the buttons work via the iPod control functionality.

This is what I'm doing on my 03 and I'm into it around $120 for the whole solution, which is less than the BT45 TOY kit.
I am following this approach in my 03'. A few questions:
1) What are your dip switch settings on the module? I'm having issues getting the unit to work consistently in 'direct' mode - the volume is extremely low and i hear static. It only works for me about 5% of the time and i can't replicate why.
2) Are you using a modern iPhone with Lightning connector?
3) Did you try the cheaper 30-pin to bluetooth adapters that are marketed for Bose sound docks, or did you need to use one of the more expensive versions geared for automotive applications (per your link) to make this work?

Last edited by erc; 01-04-22 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 04:27 PM
JapanBuick
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by erc
I am following this approach in my 03'. A few questions:
1) What are your dip switch settings on the module? I'm having issues getting the unit to work consistently in 'direct' mode - the volume is extremely low and i hear static. It only works for me about 5% of the time and i can't replicate why.
2) Are you using a modern iPhone with Lightning connector?
3) Did you try the cheaper 30-pin to bluetooth adapters that are marketed for Bose sound docks, or did you need to use one of the more expensive versions geared for automotive applications (per your link) to make this work?
to answer your question, i have so far only set one up in my Avalon and have installed a kit in my ES But still need the Bluetooth adapter.

I used direct mode with an iPhone with lightning connector. The BT adapter I opted for was actually one from Viseeo called “tune 2 air” and was made for a Mercedes but worked perfectly. I figure whatever is set up for the Mercedes must work for the USA SPEC kit.

i would be suspicious of your USA spec box or maybe a bad cable. You could try a different BT adapter.
Old 02-17-22, 03:20 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 ES and need to do something as well. I don't want to go down the route of installing a new head unit because it seems to get a little confusing bypassing the factory amp and losing the stock sub unless I had an additional amp. I have a GX 470 and installed a grom unit and it works great. Grom site says the BT3 is not compatible with the 2000 es 300 with nakamachi sound system. Has anyone installed these to confirm that is the case? Grom would be the perfect setup. I would go with @speedkar9 setup if I still had a 3.5mm jack (iphone 13 problems)
Old 02-17-22, 08:44 PM
IS400F
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a GROM on my LS430 and it was so easy and decent price, plays music very clear, I wish I'd done it sooner instead of mucking around with the tape and FM AUX cables.
Now I am thinking of putting one in my 00 ES300 , has any one found a GROM that works? Will the 00 Toyota Camry wiring harness fit ? , if the Lexus ones only fit for ML systems?
Thanks
Old 02-19-22, 04:25 PM
cgdrennan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS400F
I just installed a GROM on my LS430 and it was so easy and decent price, plays music very clear, I wish I'd done it sooner instead of mucking around with the tape and FM AUX cables.
Now I am thinking of putting one in my 00 ES300 , has any one found a GROM that works? Will the 00 Toyota Camry wiring harness fit ? , if the Lexus ones only fit for ML systems?
Thanks
On the grom site it says the bt3 will work for an es300 as long as it’s not an nak system. I was mistaken before when I thought I had the nak system. I have the pioneer but now I’m torn between the grom and a new atoto head unit with CarPlay
Old 02-19-22, 04:44 PM
IS400F
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok thanks I thought the "non-nakamichi" might not work. I have pioneer too - so it will work with pioneer too. But factory speakers from Lexus are always pioneer aren't they? What is a nakamichi stereo then? japan only??