ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Traction Control 2004 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 02:50 AM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control 2004 ES330

My car was bought used and did not come with the traction control button, is there a way to buy a replacement switch and install it on the car to turn off traction control or something similar, as I see people switch out diffs and adding an OEM switch (for the older Tacomas) and that working. It’s annoying because where I’m living and me being afraid the car getting stuck because Traction control was on.
Old 12-31-21, 03:53 AM
Jrb2u
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has never worked in years (97 ES300) but I never thought about it being the switch. The annoying light is what bothers me along with it not working. I'll be interested in seeing if switch's are available.
Old 12-31-21, 08:31 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Originally Posted by AndrewLo
My car was bought used and did not come with the traction control button, is there a way to buy a replacement switch and install it on the car to turn off traction control or something similar, as I see people switch out diffs and adding an OEM switch (for the older Tacomas) and that working. It’s annoying because where I’m living and me being afraid the car getting stuck because Traction control was on.
Here is an Owners Manual for your car, where it is described how the Traction Control is to be operated in that car. The reason why you may not have that button there is because your car is equipped with a Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system, which not only prevents the wheels from slipping, it also prevents the car from spiraling out of control, below is the video of VSC in action.

Stability systems are there to make it easier for you to get out of sticky, or rather slippery situations, not as a burden or a marketing claim. There was a day when I had to drive on summer tires on a fresh snow, and without Traction Control, I couldn't even get out of my driveway. Why do you believe that you will have an easier time without a help of a pretty advanced system, designed specifically for those cases?

Originally Posted by Jrb2u
Mine has never worked in years (97 ES300) but I never thought about it being the switch. The annoying light is what bothers me along with it not working. I'll be interested in seeing if switch's are available.
Is the CEL on?

The fact that your system doesn't work does not indicate that you have troubles with some switch, it means there is a fault in the system that prevents it from working. If the Check Engine Light is On, then go to a nearest car parts store and ask them for a diagnostics tool (they should rent it to you for free), which will tell you what codes are stored in the system. If, on the other hand, only a Trac Off light is On, use a paperclip to short Pins Tc and E1 in the Diagnostics Connector under the hood, then count the amount of times the Trac Off light will flash, which will give you one or more fault codes.

Hope this helps and happy New Year!

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-31-21 at 08:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
Gary-RX330 (01-08-22), Jrb2u (01-01-22)
Old 12-31-21, 10:32 AM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Here is an Owners Manual for your car, where it is described how the Traction Control is to be operated in that car. The reason why you may not have that button there is because your car is equipped with a Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system, which not only prevents the wheels from slipping, it also prevents the car from spiraling out of control, below is the video of VSC in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxeIKYEU-Q

Stability systems are there to make it easier for you to get out of sticky, or rather slippery situations, not as a burden or a marketing claim. There was a day when I had to drive on summer tires on a fresh snow, and without Traction Control, I couldn't even get out of my driveway. Why do you believe that you will have an easier time without a help of a pretty advanced system, designed specifically for those cases?

Is the CEL on?

The fact that your system doesn't work does not indicate that you have troubles with some switch, it means there is a fault in the system that prevents it from working. If the Check Engine Light is On, then go to a nearest car parts store and ask them for a diagnostics tool (they should rent it to you for free), which will tell you what codes are stored in the system. If, on the other hand, only a Trac Off light is On, use a paperclip to short Pins Tc and E1 in the Diagnostics Connector under the hood, then count the amount of times the Trac Off light will flash, which will give you one or more fault codes.

Strange because from the owners manual it said that turning off TC doesn’t affect VSC that’s why I’m asking because the manual saids you may need to turn off traction control to have an easier time in snow. There is a place where I can put the button and I was wondering if it’s possible to install a switch myself.

there is a slot where the button is suppose to be.
Old 12-31-21, 02:04 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Can you take a picture of that panel in your car?

If it is just a hole with a wire sticking out of it in there, then someone broke the button out of there and you just need to get a different one, which can be found at the junkyard, 3rd and 4th gen ES300/330, RX300, Avalon, etc. should have the same one.

Old 12-31-21, 03:15 PM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Can you take a picture of that panel in your car?

If it is just a hole with a wire sticking out of it in there, then someone broke the button out of there and you just need to get a different one, which can be found at the junkyard, 3rd and 4th gen ES300/330, RX300, Avalon, etc. should have the same one.

its more like there was a cap and if u have a screwdriver u can pry the cap off and get to the hole. There’s nothing there but I’ll still send a pic. Lmk if u need anything else

The following users liked this post:
Jrb2u (01-01-22)
Old 12-31-21, 03:44 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Something is definitely missing there.. Seems like someone ended up tearing that button out for one reason or another. See if you can find a wire behind the panel, if not, you will have to take it off. Again, any local junkyard should have a replacement.

The following users liked this post:
Jrb2u (01-01-22)
Old 01-04-22, 01:31 PM
Datanerd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure, but I think the traction/stability control were optional on the 2004. Referenced here. Do you know if you have the one with traction control?