ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'95 ES300 stereo amplifier and power antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-22, 06:11 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMeek
Yeah, that whole write-up I did was about the subsequent ES300 generation (3ES) amp bypass…

I gather that your new head unit sounded noisy while plugged into / “integrated with” the factory amp. No surprise. Now, your Kenwood lights up but you’re no longer getting sound from the speakers. Correct? If so, your assumption about a failed factory amp makes sense (although it’s possible you simply messed up the installation while trying to eliminate the noise :-).
i had it running for about 5 months before the failure... yes... yes... yes... actually, it may have been a year... i can't remember...
As I understand it, your ‘95 2ES has its factory amp located under the passenger seat. Since Metra specifies the same 70-8112 harness for your 2ES as is used in the 3ES to connect an aftermarket head unit, it’s likely that the same connectors are used on the amplifier end for the wire bundle from the head unit and then out to your factory speaker wiring (making this a logical place for you to locate an aftermarket amp).
thanks for the pointer to the harness...
It would probably make sense to collect/discuss more details, like some images of your factory amp’s location and (female) connectors and the (male) connectors going into it, in that other thread… I’m suspecting that the 2ES is similar connector-wise and the location of the factory amp & speaker wiring is the main difference, so I would be willing to entertain further questions about amp selection and subwoofer decisions there and ultimately annotate that OP with some “2ES notes” for the next person in your position (even though 2ES and 3ES units getting stereo upgrades these days are becoming pretty unusual :-).
Thanks for the invite and all the info... i will head over once i can become somewhat intelligent about this... I'm leaning towards a 6-channel at this time however, i could use a speaker level input adapter and a graveyard amp but i think I'd wind up spending about $150 on that duo...
Old 02-01-22, 06:25 PM
jerlands
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I understand it, your ‘95 2ES has its factory amp located under the passenger seat. Since Metra specifies the same 70-8112 harness for your 2ES as is used in the 3ES to connect an aftermarket head unit, it’s likely that the same connectors are used on the amplifier end for the wire bundle from the head unit and then out to your factory speaker wiring (making this a logical place for you to locate an aftermarket amp)..
70-8112 is the same harness I used for the receiver (head?) install... so you're saying it should work for the amplifier install... Great!...i can eliminate the constant power from it and that should be about all i need to do once i verify the pin-outs...

Last edited by jerlands; 02-01-22 at 06:29 PM.