ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Abs light pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 05:28 PM
MicBenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs light pls help

I own a 02 ES300, long story short after a week of snow my car was sitting. When initiating the E-Brake I saw a spark. I turned the car off and went on with my night. A week later the snow cleared and I went to start my car. Everything was normal until I couldn’t shift automatically my Ebrake and ABS light was on at the dash. I held down the latch and started to drive and before you know it, my brakes were going to the floor.

I found that I blew the fuse, the brake switch and the bulbs and was also low on brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant. I replaced them and I was able to drive home but still had to pump the brakes a bit to stop. I decided I needed to most likely bleed the brakes. I started at the rear right wheel, ended up replacing the caliper because the bleeder valve broke. After replacing the caliper the abs light and brake light came back on. After reading various forums I was given the idea to replace wheel speed sensors.

i then started at the front right, noticed that the lower caliper bolt was loose, after inspection I had blown pistons in the caliper. Today I bought another caliper and replaced it, still no brakes abs light is still on. What do I do now??
Old 02-10-22, 07:01 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Does pumping the brakes help?

Trying to guess at what the problem may be just from the light rarely yields positive results. Visit any car parts store in the area, they should be able to rent you a scan tool for free, try pulling the codes stored in the system, that will make things a lot easier. If that won't work, short Pins Tc and CG shown below and count the number of times the ABS light would flash, be very careful with the placement of the pin.

Brake light will only turn on if there is not enough brake fluid or the float got stuck, or the Parking Brake is depressed or its switch failed. If you ran low on brake fluid, make sure there are no leaks in the system and that all your pads are within reasonable wear, only then top it off, otherwise you risk overfilling it, leading to some misadventures, ask me how I know..

Sometimes if the float reaches the bottom of the reservoir, it gets hung up there, resulting the light being constantly on. Check that both chambers of the master cylinder are full and then give the reservoir a few taps from all angles, that should release the float. If that won't help, try disconnecting the plug at the Master Cylinder and see if the light will go out, if not, try disconnecting the Parking Brake switch.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-10-22 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-10-22, 09:28 PM
MicBenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Does pumping the brakes help?

Trying to guess at what the problem may be just from the light rarely yields positive results. Visit any car parts store in the area, they should be able to rent you a scan tool for free, try pulling the codes stored in the system, that will make things a lot easier. If that won't work, short Pins Tc and CG shown below and count the number of times the ABS light would flash, be very careful with the placement of the pin.

Brake light will only turn on if there is not enough brake fluid or the float got stuck, or the Parking Brake is depressed or its switch failed. If you ran low on brake fluid, make sure there are no leaks in the system and that all your pads are within reasonable wear, only then top it off, otherwise you risk overfilling it, leading to some misadventures, ask me how I know..

Sometimes if the float reaches the bottom of the reservoir, it gets hung up there, resulting the light being constantly on. Check that both chambers of the master cylinder are full and then give the reservoir a few taps from all angles, that should release the float. If that won't help, try disconnecting the plug at the Master Cylinder and see if the light will go out, if not, try disconnecting the Parking Brake switch.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

I already used the scan tool, nothing about the ABS light comes up in the “Stored Codes”. No leaks anywhere I will try to shake the master cylinder as you recommended. Thank you.