ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Left High Beam Light Dimmer than the right

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 11:58 AM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left High Beam Light Dimmer than the right

Hello!
Im having a problem with my 04 left high beam light is not as bright as my right one. I know this because when I’m driving, I got multiple people telling me my left DRL is dimmer than the right one. Then I tested out the High Beams and noticed the left one is significantly dimmer than the right one. At first I coughed it up to just a bulb problem. I replaced the bulbs but the problem is still there. I also tried to clean the housing for the bulbs and the problem is still there. I think it may be a wiring issue but I still do not know. Can someone help me please! And if it is a wiring issue can someone send me a link or a diagram picture of which wire is which. Thank you!
Andrew Lo
Old 02-19-22, 01:28 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Have you tried swapping the bulbs around, putting left one in the right headlight?

Check the voltage on the connector and on the respective fuse with and without load, if the voltage on the plug is significantly lower than your battery voltage, then there is an issue with the wiring somewhere, here is a fuse diagram. Since it is only one light that has issues, the problem has to be somewhere between the fuse box and the light itself, since it has its own fuse, but is controlled and powered from the same relay as the other light. Here is a thread that explains the basics.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-19-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-19-22, 02:25 PM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Have you tried swapping the bulbs around, putting left one in the right headlight?

Check the voltage on the connector and on the respective fuse with and without load, if the voltage on the plug is significantly lower than your battery voltage, then there is an issue with the wiring somewhere, here is a fuse diagram. Since it is only one light that has issues, the problem has to be somewhere between the fuse box and the light itself, since it has its own fuse, but is controlled and powered from the same relay as the other light. Here is a thread that explains the basics.

yes I have and the same thing happens. The fuses look fine but I haven’t had a chance to use a multimeter yet. Mine just died and I’m trying to get a battery atm. Another note I’ll like to add is the light seems to have a mind of its own. There are times where it is as bright as the right one but other times it is not. Hence why I wasn’t able to catch on to this problem early on. Is there anything else I’ll need to know and if it is a wiring problem, what do I have to do. Do I pull out all of the wires and attempt to replace, is there a part? And what else do I need going forward.
Thanks a lot
Andrew
Old 02-19-22, 02:42 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Look closely at the contacts for the old bulb and the fuse, see if there are any burned or damaged spots; bad connection will result in arcing, which erodes metal, it should be quite visible in a case like yours. Also, there were cases of people mending fuses with a piece of wire around its legs, just make sure it is not the case there..

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-19-22 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Fixed the link
Old 02-19-22, 03:16 PM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

Look closely at the contacts for the old bulb and the fuse, see if there are any burned or damaged spots; bad connection will result in arcing, which erodes metal, it should be quite visible in a case like yours. Also, there were cases of people mending fuses with a piece of wire around its legs, just make sure it is not the case there..

i don’t see any bad connections or corrosions. Also the link about mending fuses does not appear to work. Can u describe what it means to mend a fuse.
Thank you!
Old 02-19-22, 03:48 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AndrewLo
i don’t see any bad connections or corrosions. Also the link about mending fuses does not appear to work. Can u describe what it means to mend a fuse.
Thank you!
My bad, there was a broken link in my previous post.. I duplicated it below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...age-drops.html
Old 02-19-22, 04:11 PM
AndrewLo
Driver School Candidate

My bad, there was a broken link in my previous post.. I duplicated it below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...age-drops.html
It does certainly sound like what is happening with my car, where the voltage will fluctuate at random times, but never once did the light ever go out, or at least I am aware, and I checked the fuse box, and no fuse mending was found. Most likely it is a wiring problem. I am going to a junkyard tomorrow and checking out other es330s, hopefully, I can find something that will help me. Thank you
Old 02-19-22, 10:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Sounds like a wiring or poor contact issue.

Check the sockets of the wiring harness, make sure they’re clean and free of corrosion. You can use QC Contact Cleaner to spray them down. Let them dry.

Also, check to make sure the contacts are making a solid connection and are not loose. Usually light sockets have spring tension inside and it can loosen up over time. I had one of my front signal bulbs go out because of poor contact with the socket - the bulb was still good. Just had to use a small pick to pull it out and get more tension on the bulb.

Next check the wires with a multi meter. Measure the voltage at the sockets. Then measure for continuity between the socket and the fuse.

Also if you feel like this is over your head go to a mechanic for troubleshooting.