ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Radiator Core Support Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-22, 02:31 AM
TimYang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Core Support Replacement

I have a 2000 ES300 with 215k miles on it. Mechanically it runs well (like it only has 100k miles on it) and I have replaced a lot on it over the last few years. The interior has wear on the drivers seat and carpet. On the exterior there are a few paint chips on the bumpers but otherwise it looks good. Three teenage drivers have used it as a first car and I have one more to go.

However, my son banged it up a week ago and it will need a new hood, driver side headlight, and front bumper cover (a deep gouge that could be puttied) and a new radiator core support. There may be more but there is at least this much damage. Airbags did not deploy because it was at about 15 mph. It drives fine and the radiator doesn't leak. I took it to a body shop and should get an estimate today. He was at fault so insurance is not involved with the damage on this car. My expectation is that the estimate will be high enough that they will recommend totaling the car. They also have a month plus waiting list and other local shops are also backed up.

I'd like to keep it as a second car and maybe let the last kid learn to drive in it. I am comfortable pulling parts off a car at LKQ and replacing the hood and bumper cover but I think the radiator support is a structural member that lends lateral stiffness to the front of the car and is key to getting good headlight alignment and for the hood to latch properly. I don't think I can just pull it out and my welding experience is minimal and drilling out spot welds at a junk yard is not appealing. Has anyone on here attempted this repair themselves or have other suggestions/ideas?

There may also be the option of me pulling parts off the car and checking for damage and having a shop just do the welding and then I reassemble things and I don't paint it. I have found a 1997 ES300 with the same paint scheme nearby so it will match reasonably. If things go well then I can come back and paint it later. My goal is for this to be a safe and serviceable car for a few more years versus replacing it today. If I can't find a path to doing this then I may just have to let it go.

Old 03-04-22, 09:24 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

A picture of the damage would be quite helpful, it is hard to tell something without seeing the car..

Replacing the radiator core support on that car will be quite a challenge if you have never done it before.. With that, I doubt it would get so crumpled after a 15mph hit that it cannot be straightened back up, especially considering that the radiators are intact. Your target is to match all the gaps, even if under the body panels there will be visible signs of repair, just make sure that lognerons are intact and not crumpled in any way, since that would be quite a challenge to straighten back up.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 03-04-22, 10:02 AM
TimYang
Rookie

I can post pics and I agree that they are useful.

Old 03-04-22, 10:10 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Wrap some tie down straps on the bent sections find a big tree and use the car to pull out the damage. If the frame rails are bent (what the bumper support bolts to) then the car can't be repaired at home.
Old 03-04-22, 10:13 AM
TimYang
Rookie

I agree on the frame rail comment and I was thinking of using a come along to pull it out. Can I lay a straight edge (like a 6' level or similar tool) on the frame rails and if they are straight then go from there?
Old 03-04-22, 10:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Those frame rails are super strong it takes may tons of force to bend them. Pulling them with wires is a good way to lose your head, literally.
Old 03-04-22, 11:07 AM
TimYang
Rookie

The come along is for the radiator support not the frame rails. If a frame rail is bent I'm not doing anymore. My question on the rails is I am assuming they are basically straight and if not then they are symmetrical. If the right one looks like the left one when I check against a straight edge then they are OK, correct?
Old 03-04-22, 11:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimYang
If the right one looks like the left one when I check against a straight edge then they are OK, correct?
99%. Barring some fluke if they look the same they are in the correct position. There is some play/wiggle room via the holes in the bumper support so even if the rails are not perfect you can get away with it. I went through a similar accident recently on a 1996 Camry the RH frame rail was slightly bent I hammered it out with a sledge (it is very difficult to make it move) and was able to bolt the bumper up.
Old 03-04-22, 11:59 AM
TimYang
Rookie

Thanks for confirming, I am 99% sure that the bumper is in the right position and undamaged. The damage all looks higher up I will check more and if I feel confident that there are no bigger problems then I will think about taking the next step.
Old 03-04-22, 12:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If the damage is limited to the thin metal bits that can for sure be repaired in your backyard.
Old 03-04-22, 09:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

There is a support brace that is part of the fender to which the headlight bolts up to. You will need to get a new fender or attempt to repair your existing one in addition to the other damage you referenced and that’s just seeing the outside.

Looking over your photos a few more times it looks like the brunt of the force was above the bumper bar and hit the driver headlight and hood/fender. So your frame rails will most likely be fine. You’ll need the complete core support, fender, hood, headlight, and turn signal light.

The core support is spot welded together, so I agree that won’t be easy to DIY. Maybe try the chain method, I’ve seen some miracles being done with that and it may be good enough to piece everything else together.

For reference of what’s gonna be underneath.

Last edited by Hayk; 03-04-22 at 10:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (03-05-22)