ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Dies immediately after starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 11:33 PM
Fezgig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies immediately after starting

I have a 1996 Lexus ES 300. My issue is that the engine dies almost immediately after starting. If you press on the Accelerator
it dies immediately. If you keep the ignition switch engaged in start you can rev the engine but once you let off the start and try to push the Accelerator it dies immediately. I have a cheap scanner from AutoZone and the display reads error. I looked into the issue with the capacitors in the ECM and I changed two out of the six capacitors. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
Old 03-21-22, 12:05 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Why did you replace two capacitors in the ECU, and did the issue begin before or after that?
When did the issue appear, were there any repairs done prior or you got the car like that?
What codes, if any, are currently stored in the system?
How does it run without you pushing the accelerator?
When was the last time spark plugs were replaced?
Do you have a good solid spark?
Do you have fuel pressure?

That is very little information to go on from.. Start by checking the basics, use a spark tester like this to check the ignition, then take at least front plugs out and inspect their condition. If that's good, check the fuel pressure, which is a little tricky since this car doesn't have a return line, so you will probably need a fuel pressure gauge, they are usually not that expensive.

From there, next steps depend on how the issue started in the first place - if the car was serviced in the near past, see what was fixed and how it may affect the engine, for example if valve cover gaskets were replaced, check that all the connectors are where they should be and that all the vacuum hoses are connected, so there won't be any vacuum leaks. If you got the car like that, it may be a good idea to check the compression before proceeding. If there are oil sludge issues, check VVT-i solenoids and their filters as it is described here.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 03-21-22, 01:14 PM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fezgig
I have a 1996 Lexus ES 300. My issue is that the engine dies almost immediately after starting. If you press on the Accelerator
it dies immediately. If you keep the ignition switch engaged in start you can rev the engine but once you let off the start and try to push the Accelerator it dies immediately. I have a cheap scanner from AutoZone and the display reads error. I looked into the issue with the capacitors in the ECM and I changed two out of the six capacitors. Has anyone experienced this issue before?
Might be the fuel pump. If it is not working then some vacuum succession of the engine pulls the fuel but when more is needed it dies because not much fuel is being pumped as pump or fuel line might be the reason. Also, check if there is any fuel filter that might be clogged. Should not jump into the ECM right away.