ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Leather wrapped steering wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 10:48 AM
historyd
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leather wrapped steering wheel problem

I am have a 2005 ES which I maintain meticulously. I picked the car up from the mechanic yesterday and while driving, I felt and saw dirt on the left portion of the steering wheel (the wheel is wood with leather on both sides and bottom). I have Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather 3 in1 cleaner (cleaner - conditioner- protectant). I applied a very small amount of product to a terry towel and gently wiped the dirt away. I removed the dirt, but it also left the leather with a dull/faded finish. Previously it had a nice light gloss to it to match the right side and bottom of the wheel. I had no idea that would have happened. I previously used that product to clean the arm rest and had no issues. Is there something I can use to bring back the glass? In hindsight I should have used a most paper towel.
Old 06-08-22, 10:55 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by historyd
I am have a 2005 ES which I maintain meticulously. I picked the car up from the mechanic yesterday and while driving, I felt and saw dirt on the left portion of the steering wheel (the wheel is wood with leather on both sides and bottom). I have Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather 3 in1 cleaner (cleaner - conditioner- protectant). I applied a very small amount of product to a terry towel and gently wiped the dirt away. I removed the dirt, but it also left the leather with a dull/faded finish. Previously it had a nice light gloss to it to match the right side and bottom of the wheel. I had no idea that would have happened. I previously used that product to clean the arm rest and had no issues. Is there something I can use to bring back the glass? In hindsight I should have used a most paper towel.
Its possible you cleaned the leather down to its natural state. Most leather is not shiny and the sheen you see on steering wheels is from our skin oil. You could try cleaning the whole steering wheel to match the finish. If you’re concerned about that particular cleaner, try Lexol leather cleaner with a detailing brush to lather it up and a microfiber towel to dry it. Avoid any conditioners on the wheel.
Old 06-09-22, 01:37 PM
historyd
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious as to why to avoid conditioners on the leather portion of the wheel. Thank you.
Old 06-10-22, 05:16 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by historyd
I'm curious as to why to avoid conditioners on the leather portion of the wheel. Thank you.
Hello,

It's not so much about conditioners themselves, but more about greasy or slippery coatings in general. Steering wheel is really not something you would want slipping out of your hands if you were to hit a bump, and conditioners in particular usually contain a lot of oils in them, which is how they do their thing, that's basically why it is best to to avoid using them on pedals and steering.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (06-10-22)