ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 es300 catalytic converter help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 12:36 PM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 es300 catalytic converter help

Hey guys I need to re install a cat. The original one was cut off and straight piped because at the time I couldn't afford to buy a new one.. any one knows any decent replacements that not oem prices..and also kind of cat or part number.. I upload a pic so you guys can see
Old 08-10-22, 01:02 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

There aren't many options for the catalyst replacement unfortunately, other than OEM or a complete ripoff. Walker is as good as you are going to get from aftermarket, but even those have a good number of issues. Best bet would be to look for used OEM, even though they are really hard to find, considering that they usually go for scrap much sooner than anyone has a chance to buy them, maybe you will get lucky though..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
finnlandho (08-12-22)
Old 08-10-22, 01:18 PM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

There aren't many options for the catalyst replacement unfortunately, other than OEM or a complete ripoff. Walker is as good as you are going to get from aftermarket, but even those have a good number of issues. Best bet would be to look for used OEM, even though they are really hard to find, considering that they usually go for scrap much sooner than anyone has a chance to buy them, maybe you will get lucky though..

Thanks I'll have to start searching
Old 08-10-22, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Take a look at the BREXHAUST 0991610 first one in the listing
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...converter,5808

Don't think it comes with all that hardware just the catalytic. Only 1 left that's what I would buy.
Old 08-10-22, 08:01 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djitchy
I upload a pic so you guys can see
I just realized, your car still has flex joint on the exhaust, something that was removed with introduction of VVT-i in 1999. There is nothing wrong with it, I was just curious as to whether there was anything else done to the exhaust in the past, it was it like that from the factory..?

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Don't think it comes with all that hardware just the catalytic. Only 1 left that's what I would buy.
I just thought of something, there are two standards for catalysts - EPA and CARB, latter being the California-spec. Here is a link to the government document on CARB regulations and methods of testing, one of the points is that the manufacturer must warranty them for at least 5 years or 50,000 miles. While not much, it is still better than going into the woods with no certification at all with most manufacturers.

Universal catalysts, the ones that don't have any mounts on them, are cheaper, but do require welding to be fitted in the car. Here is a list of CARB compliant catalysts for specific vehicle, it includes both Direct Fit and Universal options. While it is more expensive than a regular EPA catalyst, going with a better quality one in the beginning, especially if it is a universal one, may be more beneficial in the long run.

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 08:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That's a useful resource. New York has strict emissions testing like California right? But how far back does it go.
Old 08-10-22, 09:22 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
That's a useful resource. New York has strict emissions testing like California right? But how far back does it go.
It actually appears that the regulations are about as strong as in California, since about 2013, with annual inspections required for all the OBD2 equipped cars, and CARB compliant catalysts being required, here is a document. It appears that there are some allowances for older cars, but they must be older than 1992, so it is not much use in this case.

With that, considering the benefits you get by going with CARB compliant cat, maybe it is for the better..

Hope this helps and bet of luck!
Old 08-11-22, 06:13 AM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

It actually appears that the regulations are about as strong as in California, since about 2013, with annual inspections required for all the OBD2 equipped cars, and CARB compliant catalysts being required, here is a document. It appears that there are some allowances for older cars, but they must be older than 1992, so it is not much use in this case.

With that, considering the benefits you get by going with CARB compliant cat, maybe it is for the better..

Hope this helps and bet of luck!
wow thanks alot for the info i appreciate you .. As far as the flex pipe. It came like that. i know the front cat was changed..
Old 08-11-22, 11:08 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

wow thanks alot for the info i appreciate you .. As far as the flex pipe. It came like that. i know the front cat was changed..
Huh, did the car pass inspection is that configuration, but with the rear cat still in place?
Can you take a picture of the cat setup for both banks?

The thing is that before 1999, the car came in two emission configurations - Federal and California-spec, latter having a more elaborate 3-Way Catalyst system, which, in 1999, got transferred to all the cars. The catalyst for Bank 1 should be located withing the pipe with flex joint, but such design never came with one, so I was wondering if you do have all the rest of catalysts still in place..

Old 08-11-22, 12:06 PM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

Huh, did the car pass inspection is that configuration, but with the rear cat still in place?

The thing is that before 1999, the car came in two emission configurations - Federal and California-spec, latter having a more elaborate 3-Way Catalyst system, which, in 1999, got transferred to all the cars. The catalyst for Bank 1 should be located withing the pipe with flex joint, but such design never came with one, so I was wondering if you do have all the rest of catalysts still in place..

the rear catalysts wasn't on. It did pass inspection after doing the whole drive cycle. I took a screen shot of the video where I believe is the second catalysts

Last edited by djitchy; 08-11-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 12:37 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

the rear catalysts wasn't on. It did pass inspection after doing the whole drive cycle. I took a screen shot of the video where I believe is the second catalysts
Passing inspection with one catalyst missing, sounds promising...

That is such a strange setup, I've never seen that before.. It is definitely not OEM, I am not even sure who produced it. Here is a picture of how that exhaust should look like on a post-facelift ES, though to their credit, the catalyst is indeed present..

Old 08-11-22, 12:58 PM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

Passing inspection with one catalyst missing, sounds promising...

That is such a strange setup, I've never seen that before.. It is definitely not OEM, I am not even sure who produced it. Here is a picture of how that exhaust should look like on a post-facelift ES, though to their credit, the catalyst is indeed present..

I will upload the video to YouTube and put the link on here later
Old 01-10-23, 07:54 AM
djitchy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry of the realllyyyy late reply.. but i did need a California-spec cat which wasnt cheap.. thanks for the help!!
Old 01-10-23, 08:29 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

What did you buy? How much did it cost? Who installed it? Honestly I'm about giving up on helping people since thread starters like you are simply too lazy to reciprocate.