ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

98 ES300 Key fob remote wont program

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 03:14 PM
Enochp
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 98 ES300 Key fob remote wont program

i just bought a 98 ES300. it didn't come with any fobs at all, so i got one online. its a HYQ1512P. I'm trying to program it, BUT it always fails and cycles the locks twice. any advise on this? or know what might be wrong? I've tried multiple different methods of programing i've tried the 1 button hold, shut the door and then one button hold again. and I've tried the hold lock and unlock and than lock method. i've tried the cancel all fobs options by turning the key twice. no luck, the the car responds to the fob, but cycles the locks twice instead of once.

any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Old 08-30-22, 03:20 PM
Enochp
8th Gear

1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked. 2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out. 3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock). B. Close, then open drivers door. 4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock). B. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. C. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF. D. Remove the key from the ignition. 5. Press any button on remote for a minimum of 1 second. System should now lock and unlock doors once. 6. Close and open drivers door. 7. Press any button on remote for a minimum of 1 second. System should now lock and unlock doors. Once to confirm programming, twice to indicate programming failed. 8. Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 for additional remotes.

AND ive tried

1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked. 2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out. 3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1 Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock). B. Close, then open drivers door. 4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock. Use an even pace and try to go about one cycle per second. (1 Cycle = 1 lock and 1 unlock). B. Insert the key in the ignition cylinder. C. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF. D. Remove the key from the ignition. 5. Within 3 seconds the power door locks should cycle automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point. 6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously for 1 second. B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should cycle once indicating successful programming. If the door locks do not cycle, or cycle twice. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 as your remote has not been accepted. C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote. 7. Close drivers door.

exact same thing, car cycles the locks twice, even though the car is responding to the fob buttons in program mode.
Old 08-30-22, 08:47 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

What fob did you get, aftermarket or OEM? Other than a fault in registering, the fact that the locks cycle twice may also indicate that the fob is already registered in the system, but it doesn't work for one reason or another.

There are a few more things you can try, you will need to repeat the same procedure you've done before, with some changes:

Start with this procedure for both methods described below:
Originally Posted by Initial Procedure
1. Start with key out of ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and drivers door is unlocked.
2. Insert key into the ignition (Do NOT Turn) and Pull key out.
3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock.
B. Close, then open drivers door.
4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds.
A. Using the power lock switch on the drivers door, perform 5 lock/unlock cycles starting with lock
B. Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder.
C. Continue to procedures described below.
To Rewrite all the fobs stored in the system:
Originally Posted by Rewrite mode
1. Start with the procedure described above.
2. Perform these steps within remaining 40 seconds.
A. Turn the Ignition ON and OFF 2 times starting with OFF.
B. Remove the Key from Ignition.
When complete, the locks will cycle 2 times, indicating that you are in the Rewrite Mode and all the Fobs were erased. After that, it is a normal Programming procedure, allowing you to add up to 4 individual fobs, even if some of them were registered in the car before.

To check how many keys are already registered in the system:
Originally Posted by Confirmation mode
A. Turn the Ignition ON and OFF 3 times starting with OFF.
When complete, the locks will cycle the amount of fobs stored in the system with 2 second interval, meaning that if there are 2 fobs stored, locks will cycle 2 times. The system can only store 4 fobs, if it is already full, proceed to the next procedure.

To erase all the fobs stored in the system:
Originally Posted by Prohibition mode
A. Turn the Ignition ON and OFF 5 times starting with OFF.
When complete, the locks will cycle 5 times, indicating that all the fobs were erased, and the procedure will end. Now the Wireless Door Lock ECU won't have any codes stored in the system, can you can start fresh. When that is done, proceed with the normal programming procedure described in the video below, if the fob will get registered, but still won't lock or unlock the car, you will likely need a new fob.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-14-23 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added additional information
Old 08-31-22, 09:37 AM
Enochp
8th Gear

Thank you for your informative reply! i'll try everything that you said.
Old 08-31-22, 12:08 PM
Enochp
8th Gear

I finally got it to work! i did the confirmation mode, the prohibition mode like you said, and then programed it with the hold one button, it cycled, shut the door, and hold one button again method, different than in that video. and IT WORKED! thanks again for the tips! the car probably just had too many fobs already programed to it.
Old 12-17-23, 04:12 AM
booboofoo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I've added some Wireless Key Transmitter Programming information (for the early 92-96) cars in this new tread for future reference purposes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...on-thread.html

Last edited by booboofoo; 12-17-23 at 02:17 PM.