ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Minor shift bind and squeaky steering wheel mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22 | 02:53 PM
CornPump
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
There is free shipping after $75 with the dealership, but with Akebono, you will save on shipping if the rotors are in the same warehouse.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Yes exactly, only if the rotors are from the same warehouse. The rotors are much cheaper at the warehouse compared to oem so I’m gunna adleast order the rotors from there most likely.

And yea the the dealership with the free shipping if I spend 75 so if the pads aren’t from the same warehouse I can just get the oem pads from the dealership to help get the order total up to 75.

Posted some pics, do you think the car is worth 3k in the condition I bought it. We did put in some work so I was thinking 2500 would have been a good deal in a perfect world. I think it’s also missing the ES300 logo on the back on the upper right on the trunk. It has it on the left left light.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 03:33 PM
CornPump
Driver

Just to make sure do I have to add 2 of the brake pad sets to the cart or 1 when I order. Then the 2 rotors and caliper repair kit. The kit from the dealership is 67 so I think only a few dollars more than the link you gave me. It will help hey the total to 75.

I’ll have to check my gas cap to see if it’s oem as well I’ll take a photo. Also I have another issue. When using the pump at the gas station the pump turns off after a few sec even when the tank isn’t full. I actually overfilled it a few weeks ago because I wasn’t used to how much it took and the pump just kept stopping. Does anyone know what this could be.

Oh yea and the muffler is rattling lately.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 04:54 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CornPump
Posted some pics, do you think the car is worth 3k in the condition I bought it. We did put in some work so I was thinking 2500 would have been a good deal in a perfect world.
What color code is it? The paint looks quite nice in direct sunlight.

It's really hard to tell what is a good deal nowadays with prices being all over the place. With that, for the mileage and condition, especially in New York area, it is actually a descent deal, it will take a good while to find another one like that.

I think it’s also missing the ES300 logo on the back on the upper right on the trunk. It has it on the left left light.
Didn't quite get what you were saying.. It appears that all the badges in the rear are exactly where they are supposed to be for the facelift.

Just to make sure do I have to add 2 of the brake pad sets to the cart or 1 when I order. Then the 2 rotors and caliper repair kit. The kit from the dealership is 67 so I think only a few dollars more than the link you gave me. It will help hey the total to 75.
I guess you can rebuild the calipers if you really want to do it so badly...
The pads come in a kit per each axle, there are 4 pads per package, you only need to get one kit.

I’ll have to check my gas cap to see if it’s oem as well I’ll take a photo.
Here you can find a picture of the OEM gas cap. While ordering parts, might as well get a replacement gasket for the cap, mostly for the sake of it, Part Number for said gasket is 77316-16010, just pull the old one off and put a new one on.

Scratch that, just looked up the price for that gasket, those got ... a bit more expensive that what I got mine for about a year ago.. With that price, it will make more sense to get the whole cap if it were to fail.

Also I have another issue. When using the pump at the gas station the pump turns off after a few sec even when the tank isn’t full. I actually overfilled it a few weeks ago because I wasn’t used to how much it took and the pump just kept stopping. Does anyone know what this could be.
There may be an issue with the filler tube or the emergency in the tank, which is meant to prevent the fuel from leaking out in case of a rollover. One way to find out is to try filling the car with a can to see how quickly the fuel will go down.

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-16-22 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 06:01 PM
CornPump
Driver

The color code I believe is 202 black onyx. My mistake I was thinking I might have been missing a badge on the back.

The raybestos rotors were are out of stock. Any other good brands. I could also see which ones come from the same warehouse and if it’s reputable just go with that.

Are you saying I don’t need to get the kit. Or maybe I don’t need the kit and it’s just in case the rubber is actually worn and I already have the repair kit ready to go.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge I’m not sure what you mean by filling the tank with a can then seeing how fast the fuel goes down. If the issue is with something inside the tank it sounds tricky and not an easy fix. I can still fill the tank but it would be nice to have it fixed if it wasn’t too much.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 07:07 PM
CornPump
Driver

I added all the rear rotors to the cart with the only rear Akebono pads and these were the only rotors shipping with the pads. I double checked to see if this was correct. So it’s basically a choice between Centric and Durago rear rotors. The centric description says they are coated. One of the centric is 22 and the other is 37 and it says they are coated. The Durago is the same price as the cheaper centric for around 22.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 07:14 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

The color code I believe is 202 black onyx.
Interesting, it looks like 1C6 in direct sunlight, very nice color. Mine is also Black Onyx, but the paint has lost some luster after lots of shady body work done to it over the years, hence why I wasn't sure.. Here you can find picture of it.

The raybestos rotors were are out of stock. Any other good brands. I could also see which ones come from the same warehouse and if it’s reputable just go with that.
Looks like they are still in stock alright, below is a link to Element3 and the same ones without a protective coating as a backup.

Raybestos Element3
Raybestos R-Line

Are you saying I don’t need to get the kit. Or maybe I don’t need the kit and it’s just in case the rubber is actually worn and I already have the repair kit ready to go.
Just take the wheels off and inspect the condition of the rubber on both calipers, if there is anything at all suspicious in there, you might as well get a kit. Or just buy it and place it on the shelf if those will turn out being fine, you will likely need it at some point..

Sorry for my lack of knowledge I’m not sure what you mean by filling the tank with a can then seeing how fast the fuel goes down. If the issue is with something inside the tank it sounds tricky and not an easy fix. I can still fill the tank but it would be nice to have it fixed if it wasn’t too much.
What I meant is use a fuel can like this one to fill the car, and watch how quickly the fuel will go through the filler neck, if there is some kind of obstruction in there, the pump will keep popping. Here you can learn more about how the gas station pumps works.

Old 09-16-22 | 07:54 PM
CornPump
Driver

Your right, I was looking at the wrong ones. I see that they are in stock for 25 but they don’t come from the same warehouse.

That photo represents the rotors that come from the same warehouse as the Akebono pads. Are those brands any good or should I just pay extra to ship the Raybestos.

The more expensive centric rotor for 37 that ships from the same warehouse has an e-coating that covers the rotor hats and edges.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 08:22 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Not sure, I haven't tried any of those other rotors myself. With that, for the difference of the price you will pay for coated Centric rotors, you can get Raybestos ones with pads shipped, so I don't really see a point in getting those.. Just enter your ZIP code in the shipping address field and it will tell you how much the shipping would be for each warehouse.

Old 09-16-22 | 08:44 PM
CornPump
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Not sure, I haven't tried any of those other rotors myself. With that, for the difference of the price you will pay for coated Centric rotors, you can get Raybestos ones with pads shipped, so I don't really see a point in getting those.. Just enter your ZIP code in the shipping address field and it will tell you how much the shipping would be for each warehouse.

My mistake, it’s strange because I tried it again and now it says the Raybestos rotors and Akebono pads are shipping from the same place. That’s odd because I just went to check if Brembo rotors shipped from same place as the Akebono pads and for some reason they did as well. I do like the fully coated rotors better than the non fully coated.

The Centric ones were semi and partial coated so yeah the Raybestos seem better. I’ll just go with Raybestos if I want to go budget. What do you think about splurging on fully coated Brembo’s?
Old 09-16-22 | 09:23 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Brembo rotors are nice, but they won't increase the power or create a rust shield unfortunately..
They are good for performance vehicles, but a bit of an excess for a regular daily driver.
Old 09-16-22 | 09:24 PM
CornPump
Driver

I’m just going to go with the Raybestos element3 fully coated it seems like a good deal for my budget and it ships from the same place it says.

By the way I noticed something off, In catalog the the es300 badge should be on the top right.

https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...erior-interior

But for my car it’s on the bottom right directly on the light instead of up top where the Lexus badge is on the left.

I also can’t seem to find the plastic underbody covers in the catalog. It seems to stay on well even if it’s ripped in front under the number where the screws go in so it’s just be a cosmetic issue so I’ll probably leave it be. I just can’t find the part number in the catalog.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-16-22 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-16-22 | 09:33 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

It was there originally in the pre-facelift car until 2000, when it got moved down on to the light, where it traditionally used to be with all the older generations. I actually like it a lot with blacked out badges and a facelift revision with the badge moved down.

Old 09-16-22 | 09:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

In Canada the badge stayed on the trunk lid for whatever reason.

Minor shift bind and squeaky steering wheel mystery-tavy1ot.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Arsenii (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22 | 10:06 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
In Canada the badge stayed on the trunk lid for whatever reason.
Well that's odd.. I can't come up with an explanation either, but you now got options to pick from I suppose..
Old 09-17-22 | 12:12 AM
CornPump
Driver

So I’m guessing the catalog doesn’t show the diagram for the facelift model badge location.

I was watching a video of a modded Australian 99 es300 someone got to have fun with. They used MXR coilovers which made the ride very rough.

He said that American Lexus models have real wood grain and Australian es300 uses plastic wood. I think the badge is on the trunk in the Australian model as well.

Someone mentioned the style of the 3rd generation would look imposing with a lowered suspension and I have to agree do to the overall unique shape of the 3rd gen.

The guy in the video did mention the 99 es300 was fast with the reliable aspirated V6 which is why he modded it, although the transmission isn’t great for racing. The v6 in this car has a bit of a kick to it and I guess it sounds pretty powerful in the video with the exhaust mod.

In the video he showed the mods.

-mxr coilovers
-magniflow sports muffler
-resonator delete
​​​​​​-slotted rotors
-Bridgestone protenza RE003

He had a good idea and put a V6 badge where the platinum edition badge would be on the passenger side.

Heres the link to the coilovers, I didn’t know aftermarket parts like this were compatible for the car? It’s not listed in the warehouse and seems pricey, I wonder the how the quality is and the other options out there that are good or another different idea to make it more sporty.

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/api/product/search?year=2000&car_make=Lexus&car_model=ES300&search=

Last edited by CornPump; 09-17-22 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Minor shift bind and squeaky steering wheel mystery