ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Minor shift bind and squeaky steering wheel mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-22, 01:16 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CornPump

Also a quick question, I got a couple of denso oil filters from Amazon. How do denso filters compare to others and oem I wonder. For oil I’m probably going to end up using mobile 1 high mileage or the purple brand.
Denso is OEM and they can be found at Walmart, for future reference. No issues.

For oil, Mobil1 is a good choice and don't throw away money on Royal Purple.
Old 09-17-22, 08:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

That guy spent a bunch of money modding his car but doesn't bother to clean and detail the car. Leather is getting trashed from lack of cleaning, leaves everywhere. Crap in the back seat and trunk. Don't be that guy.

Also the ES is not a Camry with a body kit, come on dude the body itself is totally different no panels cross over. To each his own but he ruined the car the ride is terrible the exhaust is obnoxious. He did say his plan was to track the car that tells you a whole lot.
Old 09-17-22, 11:34 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

So I’m guessing the catalog doesn’t show the diagram for the facelift model badge location.
It does, it's just that the badges on the light are not too keen to come off, and are being sold together with the light.

I was watching a video of a modded Australian 99 es300 someone got to have fun with. They used MXR coilovers which made the ride very rough.
Never really got the point of coilovers in those cars.

He said that American Lexus models have real wood grain and Australian es300 uses plastic wood. I think the badge is on the trunk in the Australian model as well.
The wood looks the same as in US spec, just not the Coach or Platinum Edition. He has a 1999 model with some facelift components retrofitted in there, while the separate antenna is still present, it got moved onto the rear glass later on.

Someone mentioned the style of the 3rd generation would look imposing with a lowered suspension and I have to agree do to the overall unique shape of the 3rd gen.
I wouldn't even say it's that much lower than my car on factory, maybe a little sagged suspension. Here is a picture.

The guy in the video did mention the 99 es300 was fast with the reliable aspirated V6 which is why he modded it, although the transmission isn’t great for racing. The v6 in this car has a bit of a kick to it and I guess it sounds pretty powerful in the video with the exhaust mod.
Not all reliable cars make for good racers, sometimes there are physical limitations on what you can and cannot do. It's a Front Wheel Drive platform with MacPherson suspension all around, try throwing it into a tight corner and you will have a good chance to witness how cars learn to fly. Giving more power to a FWD car won't help much either, Opel Astra OPC is a good example of the consequences that might ensue.

Heres the link to the coilovers, I didn’t know aftermarket parts like this were compatible for the car? It’s not listed in the warehouse and seems pricey, I wonder the how the quality is and the other options out there that are good or another different idea to make it more sporty.

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/api/p...=ES300&search=
If you are looking to completely trash your ride quality and what Lexus is known for, might as well got for them..

The guy barely has any idea what he is talking about, he missed almost every fact about those cars, made it insufferable to ride and now speaks about it as it were an achievement, gotta love that.. If he was looking for a "sporty feel" why he even bothered with ES in the first place, a car that was never meant to come close to racing..?

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 09-17-22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 06:03 PM
CornPump
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just found out the problem with the gas pump today, it was because I was using regular gas and not unleaded. It says what it takes above the gas gauge and I didn’t see it and was filling it with regular which is why it was stopping every 5 sec.

And yeah the video was strange I didn’t really notice from the outside the difference in height or if there was even supposed to be one with the coilovers. I just thought the 3rd gen is a good design with the side panels that would look cool if the car was lowered but I guess it’s not worth it.

Is there anything that can be done to the suspension to make it feel like new or any other mods in general you can do?

I have to say the real wood in the platinum is nice to have. Here’s photos comparing the 00 platinum/coach edition to the 1999. The wood on the platinum/coach is real and there’s more of it in the center console and on the steering wheel.

00 platinum edition

As for the denso filters I don’t see them in stock at the local Walmart. Your saying the denso filters from Amazon are fake? I think they are from China which are the blue ones instead of black but the reviews were saying it’s denso but made in a Chinese factory so the quality might not be as good. They were only around $4 with prime shipping and the oem filters were $10 a piece so I fell for it. I’m just going to order oem with the rest of the stuff for a piece of mind.

I wanted to mention, There’s a rip in my drivers seat where the back of the left leg goes. I heard there’s some kind of a sticker for leather you can patch it with but I couldn’t find anything like it and was wondering if you guys new any easy fixes.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-17-22 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-18-22, 04:59 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

As for the denso filters I don’t see them in stock at the local Walmart. Your saying the denso filters from Amazon are fake?
No, I'm sure the Amazon filters are OK...well odds are that is. As for Walmart availability, they are on the shelf for the ES 330 at least in my area but not all Walmarts are clones of each other - they only stock what sells in your region, and which items to stock for maximizing profits . Then of course there are supply issues.
Old 09-18-22, 07:43 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Just found out the problem with the gas pump today, it was because I was using regular gas and not unleaded. It says what it takes above the gas gauge and I didn’t see it and was filling it with regular which is why it was stopping every 5 sec.
What Octane Number are you running?

All the gas is unleaded since about 1996, it caused quite a havoc in the world some time back.. No matter which gas are you using, the pump filler, and the principle behind said pump shutting off remains the same, so while it's possible that the problem would disappear at one station, only to come back at the other, and I highly doubt that you can fix the pump shutting off by simply changing the octane number at the pump.

Is there anything that can be done to the suspension to make it feel like new or any other mods in general you can do?
Well yes, you can swap in all new suspension, simple as that.

I have to say the real wood in the platinum is nice to have. Here’s photos comparing the 00 platinum/coach edition to the 1999. The wood on the platinum/coach is real and there’s more of it in the center console and on the steering wheel.
All ES300 came with real veneer in the interior, it's just that prior to the facelift in 2000, there was less of it around.. Your car has a unique kind of wood, since it is a Platinum Edition, all the rest came with darker kind, yet still just as real wood.

As for the denso filters I don’t see them in stock at the local Walmart. Your saying the denso filters from Amazon are fake? I think they are from China which are the blue ones instead of black but the reviews were saying it’s denso but made in a Chinese factory so the quality might not be as good. They were only around $4 with prime shipping and the oem filters were $10 a piece so I fell for it. I’m just going to order oem with the rest of the stuff for a piece of mind.
I am honestly, genuinely dumbfounded by how drawn you are to those Denso filters.. I simply don't see any reason to look for alternatives when a genuine filter is already fairly cheap and proven to be effective enough for those engines. Just please, go to any Toyota dealership in the area and ask for an oil filter, it's as simple as it can get.

I wanted to mention, There’s a rip in my drivers seat where the back of the left leg goes. I heard there’s some kind of a sticker for leather you can patch it with but I couldn’t find anything like it and was wondering if you guys new any easy fixes.
Depends on how high your standards are frankly.. The most effective solution would be to swap out the whole cover, but they are expensive and tough to find. Other choices would be to get a seat cover or to simply live with it.

Originally Posted by FromFL
No, I'm sure the Amazon filters are OK...well odds are that is. As for Walmart availability, they are on the shelf for the ES 330 at least in my area but not all Walmarts are clones of each other - they only stock what sells in your region, and which items to stock for maximizing profits . Then of course there are supply issues.

Old 09-19-22, 10:04 AM
CornPump
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
What Octane Number are you running?

All the gas is unleaded since about 1996, it caused quite a havoc in the world some time back.. No matter which gas are you using, the pump filler, and the principle behind said pump shutting off remains the same, so while it's possible that the problem would disappear at one station, only to come back at the other, and I highly doubt that you can fix the pump shutting off by simply changing the octane number at the pump.

Well yes, you can swap in all new suspension, simple as that.

All ES300 came with real veneer in the interior, it's just that prior to the facelift in 2000, there was less of it around.. Your car has a unique kind of wood, since it is a Platinum Edition, all the rest came with darker kind, yet still just as real wood.

I am honestly, genuinely dumbfounded by how drawn you are to those Denso filters.. I simply don't see any reason to look for alternatives when a genuine filter is already fairly cheap and proven to be effective enough for those engines. Just please, go to any Toyota dealership in the area and ask for an oil filter, it's as simple as it can get.

Depends on how high your standards are frankly.. The most effective solution would be to swap out the whole cover, but they are expensive and tough to find. Other choices would be to get a seat cover or to simply live with it.

It was my mother who actually found out while using the car that it took the gas at pump #2 which is probably what what you mean by different octane. She basically said she went to a different pump that has different gas and it worked. As far as what button I was pressing it was the first button on the gas pump which was the lowest octane so maybe that was an issue as well. I have to ask her again exactly what she did different.

Can you link the oem filter you said was $6. Last time I looked on the dealership in Milwaukee which I think has the cheapest prices and free shipping, the oem filter was $10 and change and I was already ordering a bunch of stuff so I didn’t get them at the time.

Edit: Sorry it was low octane I was using the first button on the pump I had to press the second and she says the button has an unleaded printed onto it and has the octane the car needs.

Last edited by CornPump; 09-19-22 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 01:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

90915-YZZD1 most dealers will sell you a case each filter comes to about $6. Walmart sells em check for local availability.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-Ge...ZZD1/102965373
Old 09-19-22, 03:43 PM
CornPump
Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
90915-YZZD1 most dealers will sell you a case each filter comes to about $6. Walmart sells em check for local availability.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-Ge...ZZD1/102965373
It says my local Walmart has them in the aisle 30 so I’ll check that out thanks. For oil I’ll use mobile 1. Should I use high mileage mobile 1?
Old 09-19-22, 04:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

High mileage oil has additives that try to combat leaks if you don't have any I'd use the regular stuff.