ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: Is my transmission fixable
yes
0%
no
0%
interesting problem but simple solution
0%
try these low hanging fruit solutions
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Need Guidance RE: '02 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-22, 04:24 PM
gjbrennan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Guidance RE: '02 Transmission Issues

Hi All!

I've been a member for a while now but haven't asked for help.....Now I am asking for guidance/advice/feedback from the more experienced and learned members - that's everyone but me

My '02 has about 250k miles and still runs like a champ, (burns a little oil and leaks a very minor amount of oil around the valve cover gaskets). Transmission fluid is pink without any burnt odor or unusual characteristics (I've only added the Lexus TF to top it off very infrequently due to a very slow, very small leak). BUT I need your help......I have a strange or unusual' situation with my transmission.

Regardless of the operating temperature, first thing in the morning, or after running for 40 miles on the interstate, if I start out from a stop and give it a 'normal' amount of gas, there is a lag (not the primary issue as I need to clean the throttle body, etc.) and rpm's will run up to 2k then immediately comes down as the car begins to move and shifts but doesn't shift consistently.
IF, I start out VERY slowly and let the car begin to move when its ready and keep the rpm's low. The transmission will shift smoothly once before I hit 5mph, then smoothly to the next gear before I reach 10 mph, again advancing at a very slow pace, it will shift smoothly at about 15, and again at about 25mph and last at about 30 mph. Starting this way, I can slowly get interstate speeds with no problem and reach 62 mph before the tac will reach 2k. Smooth sailing.........................As long as I don't have to come to a stop - then the cycle starts over again.
HOWEVER, if, I start out like most drivers and provide a 'normal/steady' fuel supply from a stop. The rpm jumps to 2k/2k+ before the car advances, the rpm immediately drop down and then I can get a inconsistent but generally smooth shift pattern. BUT, I'm left with: 40 mph @ 2k, 50mph @ 2,5k, 60 mph @ 3k rpm, 80 mph at 4k rpm, you get the idea (no ihigh gear). The only way to break this pattern is to pull over onto the shoulder, turn off the car for about 5 seconds, re-start the car, and go back to my VERY LONG, VERY SLOW starting out process as I noted above....

No TCM codes. So here are my initial thoughts... here's where you all come in and share your experience....
Passively drain most of the transmission fluid, pull the pan, clean it, replace the transmission filter, refill with Toy fluid and go from there.
[Does it sounds to any of you like it might be a filter issue?]

Or......do I need to look deeper into the problem.....as in whether there are worn solenoids/pressure valves/valve bodies needing replacement while I have the pan off to change the filter AND can access them.

Please share your thoughts/experience,

Muchas Gracias!!!!!!
Old 09-02-22, 05:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Change the filter, do a drain and fill at least 3 times. Highly recommend using this ATF
https://www.amsoil.com/p/oe-multi-ve...ion-fluid-otf/

FYI the last couple of filters I bought at the dealer were made in Mexico so not sure I'll buy them again.
Old 09-02-22, 06:15 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

It will be hard to tell where in particular the issue lies without seeing the car in person, so it may make sense to visit a trusted mechanic or dealership for them to take a look and draw their conclusions out of it.

The symptoms kinda sound like you are low on fluid or the filter is clogged, sorry if it sounds obvious, but make sure you check the fluid when the car is fully warmed up, after a good drive, go through all the gears with pause in each gear, and only then check the level. If that is good, the next step would be to drop the pan to check for residue in it, at least to see the amount of gunk and metal shavings in there, and go from that. If there is significant gunk in the pan, you may as well try dropping the valve body to check condition of clutch pack for the Forward Clutch, if that's gone, the transmission will need a rebuild.

Hope this helps and best of luck!