ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Heavy wire inside driver's seat cushion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 03:42 PM
rickydonn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heavy wire inside driver's seat cushion

Hello and Happy Labor Day weekend, I have 2006 ES330 Black Diamond Edition

So...I bought a brand new Lexus seat cushion from a dealer and a leather after market cover. So ready to get this installed for my trip to Memphis on Monday. I have been sitting on a boat cushion for months. Removed the seat entirely and put on workbench. As I was removing the foam cushion I discovered heavy wire laying in the slits of the cushion. This wire is a little thicker than clothes hanger wire. Part of was lying on the top of the slits, while other parts of were embedded into the cushion as if the foam was poured over it. I had to rip the old foam up with a box cutter to get it out I wast sure if I would need it for the new foam seat.. I have enclosed some pictures in hope that someone could tell me what the wire is for. Do I need to lay it down in the slits of my new seat cushion? Upon removal, I couldn't see that they were attached to anything and therefore cant figure out what they are for. I googled for an hour to no avail.

I do see what appears to be the same wires in just a couple of places through the foam in the new cushion just below the bottom of the slit level, but like I had mentioned, the old one had these wires embedded as well and some just laying at the bottom of the slit.

Also what is the purpose of the slit in the cushion?

Big thanks to whoever can help me, I'm at a stand still but needing to get this done fore a trip on 48 hours. I started to just toss the wires and put all back together but experience tells me Ill regret that. These wire are relatively substantial and its killing me not knowing what they are for, like I mentioned, upon removal I couldn't see that they are attached to anything therefore they couldn't be instrumental in the heating of the seats.

Thanks

Last edited by rickydonn; 09-03-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 04:23 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

Those wires are there to secure your seat covers to the cushion itself, one wire is attached to the seat, other to the cover, they are secured together with the use of copper rings like the ones shown in the link below, so that the covers won't look like a bag stretched on the seat. To do it relatively painlessly, you will need special pliers like the ones I linked earlier, otherwise it can become a pretty painful process.

NIDAYE Straight Pliers NIDAYE Straight Pliers

Ripping them out is really not a good idea, you will wreck your new seat doing so. Below is a video on how to take seats apart and put them back together, it shows what those wires are used for, the process is similar for both leather and cloth seats.

P.S. I have never seen anyone buy a new cushion from the dealership before, that's a rarity.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-03-22, 04:46 PM
rickydonn
Rookie

Hi Arsenii, thanks for reply. I appreciate the video and plier links as well. I should have not researched for just Lexus es330 seat tear down and maybe I would have found more resources. Ok, I think i understand now. there are wires inside the foam and then the ones I took pics of attach to my seat and then to to embedded wires using the pliers and the copper rings you mentioned. I think what is throwing me off is my old orginal lexus seat had a webbing material that was attached, like i long pocket that held the wires in there. The new one does not. i will send pics if you could help me make sure I am not missing anything.

As far as buying the seat from the dealer, I looked online and could not find a cushion that was guarnteed to fit and made for heated seats. I even posted here last year asking if anyone knew where I could find one and no one could tell me and someone suggestd they went through the same issue and had to buy from dealer. THe orginal foam was wore out completely and it hurt my butt to sit on it..i could feel the frame below it. I have been sitting on a boat cushion for over a year.
The following users liked this post:
Hayk (09-05-22)
Old 09-03-22, 05:21 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by rickydonn
As far as buying the seat from the dealer, I looked online and could not find a cushion that was guarnteed to fit and made for heated seats. I even posted here last year asking if anyone knew where I could find one and no one could tell me and someone suggestd they went through the same issue and had to buy from dealer. THe orginal foam was wore out completely and it hurt my butt to sit on it..i could feel the frame below it. I have been sitting on a boat cushion for over a year.
Well, I honestly just got used seats for my car..

Ok, I think i understand now. there are wires inside the foam and then the ones I took pics of attach to my seat and then to to embedded wires using the pliers and the copper rings you mentioned.
That is correct. If you are really in a pinch and running against the clock, you can either reuse your old rings, or make your own ones out of AWG 10 solid copper wire that can be found at any hardware store, but trust me, it will be a harrowing experience without proper tools.

I think what is throwing me off is my old orginal lexus seat had a webbing material that was attached, like i long pocket that held the wires in there. The new one does not. i will send pics if you could help me make sure I am not missing anything.
Do you mean the the pocket that is supposed to hold the wire in a seat cover? It would be quite weird to see those gone on a new cover, it will be impossible to properly secure the cover to the seat without them, though I've never had a new seat cover to examine..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-16-22, 07:33 AM
rickydonn
Rookie

Aresenii, I wanted to thank you for replying my original post (quickly, I might add) and for sharing your knowledge with me. I bought the pliers you sent and you are right, they are a must for this job. I wasn't able to get it done before my trip but I completed it afterwards. Looks and feels so much better!! I had no idea about hog rings or that seat covers attached to wires inside the foam when I first started. Once again, I appreciate your teaching me what you know. I have attached a before and after.