ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Heater blow cold air ES330

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 11:48 PM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it doesn't matter which pins am i testing?
I just do the test. I opened the servo, took off the motor, moved the arm manually, and put the motor back. I test with 2 different positions of the arm.
I test the resistance at pin 1-2, pin 3-5, and pin 4-5. Tests at pin 1-2 and pin 4-5 give the same number at 2 different positions. Test at pins 3-5 gives me 6.15 and 0.1 for the first side. it gives me 5.32 and 0.1 for the other one
Will it be considered a good servo because the gap between these results is large?
Old 09-21-22, 12:10 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

I think you got it backwards..

1. Disconnect the servo, put it on the table, then hook up to Pins 1 and 3 on the servo with a multimeter set to Resistance.
2. While Pins 1 and 3 are connected to the Multimeter, move the arm up and down by hand, just force the servo arm up and down, do not take it apart, it has to move with some force applied, if it doesn't there is a problem.
3. While forcing the arm, monitor the readings on the multimeter, the resistance should fluctuate a good bit as you force the arm up and down.

If the resistance stays without changing, either the pins are incorrect, or the servo is bad and in need of replacement.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 09-21-22, 11:29 AM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

The servo motors arrived early than I thought. I connected and tested. It still moves only once.
I run the AC test. I have 11,31,41, and 46. 31 is on the passenger side. 36, and 46 are the driver's side. 11 is a cabin temperature sensor.
I ordered the sensor and will replace it too.
I guess the problem is the climate control or wiring. I will wait for the climate control unit and figure out what's wrong. If the problem is wiring, I give up. I can't find a replacement for it

Your information really helps me a lot
Old 09-21-22, 08:39 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

The codes in the system do not reset themselves, you need to take the battery terminal off for a few minutes to reset the codes if you were to disconnect anything in the system, I think that's the cause for codes 36 and 46 in your case. Try connecting a new servo that you got and then disconnecting the battery to see which codes will return, and which will leave.

Old 09-24-22, 01:31 PM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

Here is the current situation
I change two servos, the temp sensor, and replace the climate control. Yesterday It changed for every change from 79 to 85. Today it's acting up again. Only from 85 to Hi I run diagnostic mode, I got 00. I believe that my car has zero code. I notice weird noise from the engine bay. The clicking sound when I turn on the AC. The compressor is stuck at some point and continues to move, then stuck and move. I think it is a bearing problem.
Old 09-24-22, 01:43 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

00 means there are no codes stored in the system, either there are no faults it can detect, or they didn't show up yet.

Does the servo move at all when you switch the climate from Max Cool to Max Hot? Do the test I described above, actuating all the servos in the car. While in Diagnostics mode, press Recirculation button and see if all the modes will play out.

A/C Compressor has a magnetic clutch in it, so that it can connect to the engine when pressure drops, turn itself off when the pressure goes too high, it is supposed to engage and disengage quite frequently.

Old 09-24-22, 03:46 PM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

It will only move one time when it change from 85 to HI. If you change the temp anywhere from COlD to 85, it will stay the same.
I uploaded the video about the noise. I'm not sure about that it is a clutch or bearing

Old 09-24-22, 04:40 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by antphan119
It will only move one time when it change from 85 to HI. If you change the temp anywhere from COlD to 85, it will stay the same.
What Climate Control ECU did you use as a replacement?

It likely means that the Climate Control ECU has no idea what the temperature on the inside is, and since you already replaced the Servo, Temperature Sensor and the Climate Control Unit, only blunt checking of all systems is left.

Try disconnecting all but the biggest connector on the Climate Control ECU, leave only the connector marked below, and see if that will make a difference. The A/C and Seat Heaters will stop working, but it will leave just the ECU to control the Servos.

I uploaded the video about the noise. I'm not sure about that it is a clutch or bearing
That is incorrect ECU control, whether it is caused by malfunctioning ECU or the sensor sending some gibberish to it is yet to be determined. In that car, the system is a little more sophisticated than in others, in that the Clutch itself is controlled by Engine ECU based on the data provided by the Climate Control on a separate connector, if the latter is bad, it can cause symptoms like that, hence the step described above.

Old 09-24-22, 09:15 PM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

Finally, I have the answer for the servo. I live in Texas, it is very hot. Even though you set the temp to 85, it is still better than the temp outside. I test the servo tonight, it moved when I change the temp from 74 to 75. It also changes every time I increase the temp on climate control until it reaches HOT. I think because the temp drops at night, so 75 is hotter than outside

The climate control I replace is the used one I bought from eBay. I don't know why it makes that noise. Yesterday, when I tested the servo with the OEM climate control, it made that noise. This morning, it had a noise. But tonight, when I test the servo, the noise is gone

The worst news is I end up with the TRAC, VSC, and check engine light P2241. Everything was normal this morning. No check engine light nothing. I read somewhere in this forum about this problem, but I can't find it. Have you ever had this problem before Arsenii
Old 09-24-22, 10:29 PM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

Just a little update:

I found a trac button under driver side panel. Press it and all the light is gone. I just forgot to scan to see if the code p2241 is still there. Will drive again tmr to see if the code and the noise appear
Old 09-25-22, 01:52 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Finally, I have the answer for the servo. I live in Texas, it is very hot. Even though you set the temp to 85, it is still better than the temp outside. I test the servo tonight, it moved when I change the temp from 74 to 75. It also changes every time I increase the temp on climate control until it reaches HOT. I think because the temp drops at night, so 75 is hotter than outside
Emmm, so what was the issue that prompted you to ask about it in the first place again....?

The climate control I replace is the used one I bought from eBay. I don't know why it makes that noise. Yesterday, when I tested the servo with the OEM climate control, it made that noise. This morning, it had a noise. But tonight, when I test the servo, the noise is gone
A/C clutch is not acting as it should, the cause, you will be a lot better off asking an advice from a local expert that has equipment to diagnose said system, it is really not something that can be fixed by feel, at least not effectively.

The worst news is I end up with the TRAC, VSC, and check engine light P2241. Everything was normal this morning. No check engine light nothing. I read somewhere in this forum about this problem, but I can't find it. Have you ever had this problem before Arsenii
Sounds like a dead A/F sensor, here is how to check it.

Old 09-25-22, 09:16 AM
antphan119
Driver School Candidate

In the beginning, my servo had a noise, so I tried to clean it. After reinstall, I checked the servo but it only moved as I said. It is why we have this thread.

Thank you so much Arsenii, you helped me a lot.