ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 ES 300 Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 10:09 AM
tmattevans
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ES 300 Stereo Replacement

Hi, All -- I have scrolled through several older threads on this topic and there is sometimes conflicting information. I am hoping to get some ground truth. My son is getting ready to turn 16 and will be getting my 1997 ES300. I'd like to put a modern stereo in it for him -- not something with a touch screen and a lot of buttons to push, but a straightforward Bluetooth/multimedia receiver. Here are some questions:
  1. It sounds like I want to leave in the factory amp behind the glove box and use that. Why? Just to make the install easier? (I plan to leave it in, FWIW.)
    • What are the implications for head unit selection if I use the factory amp?
    • What are the implications for speaker selection? Impedance?
  2. Specifically regarding speakers, I've seen different folks recommend anything from 5.5" to 6.75" in the doors. It sounds like all would work, but with varying levels of modification. Which size would be the easiest to install?
  3. The subwoofer in the back is rattling, so it definitely needs to be replaced. Anything I need to be keeping in mind about that? Does the whole back deck need to come out?
I think that is most everything. I haven't done this before, but can figure most things out. I just might have a lot of questions. I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money -- this car has almost 250k miles on it and isn't in fantastic cosmetic shape, so even a low-budget stereo swap represents a significant fraction of the car's value.

Thanks, in advance -- all advice would be appreciated.
Matt
Old 11-22-22, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Get these
Scosche LS2081B (buy while you can, sold out in most places)
JVC KW-R950BTS (has Bluetooth, time alignment, 24 bit DACs)

I don't know of a way to use the factory amp recommend you replace it with aftermarket. For speakers that is an open question greatly depends on your budget, same with the amplifier.

I have the previous version, KW-R940BTS it's a great unit feels a little cheap but sounds excellent Bluetooth works perfectly.
Old 11-28-22, 03:24 PM
booboofoo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tmattevans
Hi, All -- I have scrolled through several older threads on this topic and there is sometimes conflicting information. I am hoping to get some ground truth. My son is getting ready to turn 16 and will be getting my 1997 ES300. I'd like to put a modern stereo in it for him -- not something with a touch screen and a lot of buttons to push, but a straightforward Bluetooth/multimedia receiver. Here are some questions:
  1. It sounds like I want to leave in the factory amp behind the glove box and use that. Why? Just to make the install easier? (I plan to leave it in, FWIW.)
    • What are the implications for head unit selection if I use the factory amp?
    • What are the implications for speaker selection? Impedance?
  2. Specifically regarding speakers, I've seen different folks recommend anything from 5.5" to 6.75" in the doors. It sounds like all would work, but with varying levels of modification. Which size would be the easiest to install?
  3. The subwoofer in the back is rattling, so it definitely needs to be replaced. Anything I need to be keeping in mind about that? Does the whole back deck need to come out?
I think that is most everything. I haven't done this before, but can figure most things out. I just might have a lot of questions. I'm also not looking to spend a ton of money -- this car has almost 250k miles on it and isn't in fantastic cosmetic shape, so even a low-budget stereo swap represents a significant fraction of the car's value.

Thanks, in advance -- all advice would be appreciated.
Matt
Capacitors are your common enemy in older Lexus audio equipment.

It's unfortunate, but capacitors on electronic mother boards (of the era) do tend to swell over time and then they leak and your mother board comes to a grinding halt.

It really doesn't matter if we're talking about the head unit or the main amplifier, the problem will eventually attack them both and usually, it proves to be fatal.

As mentioned, Scoche make some very nifty pieces of equipment which allow us to replace OEM head units and amplifiers and then mount new stuff as if it always belonged in place.

That said, a 1997 ES300 is an excellent platform for a young man's first car. Keep us informed on your progress.