ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 1998 EGR tube broke, can't find one anywhere

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 06:00 AM
JeffPad
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 1998 EGR tube broke, can't find one anywhere

The EGR Tube on my 1998 ES300 broke and I have been searching everywhere to try to get one. Not even junk yards have them. Supposedly there is a company in Canada that has one but the won't ship to the USA.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get one? Most junk yards around the Boston area are either closed or don't have anything that old
Old 11-29-22, 09:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/2561220010
Old 11-29-22, 01:35 PM
JeffPad
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wrong part and it should be around $200+ list $300+

It was only used on the 97 and 98 ES300 and Camry's and has an "adjustable" part of the tube.

someone told me that since it is so old it doesn't need emissions to just weld it shut
Old 11-29-22, 04:16 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 807 Likes on 678 Posts

Hello,

EGR system is not there just for the emissions, the ECU relies on it functioning as intended to calculate the proper mixture. The car has no way of knowing the amount of gas entering the system, it can only make an educated guess, remove the system without re-flashing the ECU and the engine will never perform as well as it did before, the mixture will always be richer than usual. Newer cars learned to distinguish and disable a bad EGR system, but it won't change the fact that it will run in a fault mode.

I have never seen an adjustable EGR hose before, given the temperatures that they must withstand during their normal operation, it will be one heck of a task to keep an adjustable tube tight, not to say that an EGR system is a fixed in place and doesn't move or adjust anywhere, so a photo of the line that broke would be helpful. I don't think ES300 came with a unique system, it is not displayed in any Parts Catalogues, it looks the same as in any other Toyota from what I can gather.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 11-29-22, 04:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

There are two EGR tubes, one of them has a corrugated section that allows some movement. That tube is hard to find, OP didn't specify which EGR tube so I guessed. Probably is 97-98 ES only since 1999 went with VVTi and no EGR valve.

I assume up to 2001 Camry V6 will be a potential parts source.
Old 11-29-22, 04:38 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Oh that one.. Here you can find one as a last resort, but a junkyard would be a best bet.

Old 11-29-22, 04:48 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Replaced by 25611-0A011. Discontinued. Amayama doesn't have it either.

edit - parts number search of the above shows it was used 1994-1998.

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-29-22 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-29-22, 04:54 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Replaced by 25611-0A011. Discontinued. Amayama doesn't have it either.
That fact that it was replaced doesn't mean that the old one will not fit, it just means that two parts got merged into one. I had my fair share of those "replaced with" parts when I went to replace rear sway bar bushings, they merged the numbers for ES300 and Camry without realizing that ES came with a beefier sway bar, which caused a havoc even in the aftermarket department, so it took me a good while to fight with a couple of dealerships and finally find some OEM old stock parts specifically for the ES..

Old 11-29-22, 05:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arsenii
That fact that it was replaced doesn't mean that the old one will not fit, it just means that two parts got merged into one.
Understood. What you're missing is the listing shows a price and suggests stock for the old part number, but not the new one. This is a limitation of the various online parts sites, it doesn't mean the old part number is available. To put a finer point on this, if there is stock it will show as the original and any change up part numbers. Same part in the system.
I had my fair share of those "replaced with" parts when I went to replace rear sway bar bushings, they merged the numbers for ES300 and Camry without realizing that ES came with a beefier sway bar, which caused a havoc even in the aftermarket department, so it took me a good while to fight with a couple of dealerships and finally find some OEM old stock parts specifically for the ES..

If you find stock of a certain part that will dealer specific, not a part that shows in the Toyota/Lexus global parts system. To find discontinued parts what can work is calling up the largest dealers in the United States (basically California) and see if they what you need.

A superseded part is always compatible with the old part. In this case the number this changes up to is made in North America not Japan. Usually in my experience the opposite happens.

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-29-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-29-22, 05:20 PM
olegfom
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Easy solution

I had the same issue with the old EGR tubes that fell apart. What I did, I measured the diameter of the metal tube that receives the rubber part and bought the rubber fuel line with the same inner diameter from auto parts store. Then ordered a roll of copper-nickel tube of that diameter on eBay. Then bought a small tube cutter and tube bender. I bent the metal tube to exactly the shape I needed and attached the pieces of the rubber fuel line on both sides with hose clamps. You can add some insulation if you want but that's not necessary.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (11-29-22)
Old 11-29-22, 05:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by olegfom
I had the same issue with the old EGR tubes that fell apart. What I did, I measured the diameter of the metal tube that receives the rubber part and bought the rubber fuel line with the same inner diameter from auto parts store. Then ordered a roll of copper-nickel tube of that diameter on eBay. Then bought a small tube cutter and tube bender. I bent the metal tube to exactly the shape I needed and attached the pieces of the rubber fuel line on both sides with hose clamps. You can add some insulation if you want but that's not necessary.
That's cool did you happen to take some pictures?
Old 11-29-22, 05:34 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Understood. What you're missing is the listing shows a price and suggests stock for the old part number, but not the new one. This is a limitation of the various online parts sites, it doesn't mean the old part number is available. To put a finer point on this, if there is stock it will show as the original and any change up part numbers. Same part in the system.
It is still a separate Part Number, even if it was superseded at one point, and sometimes there is a chance an older part will be sitting on the shelf for a while. This is how I got my bushings, the website also said that the old number was replaced, but I did get the right bushings when I ordered them. I am pretty sure, at least for that platform specifically, that you will get an older part if you buy it, but then I wonder if it even matters which part you will get after all.

If you find stock of a certain part that will dealer specific, not a part that shows in the Toyota/Lexus global parts system. To find discontinued parts what can work is calling up the largest dealers in the United States (basically California) and see if they what you need.
Here it was the opposite - the Parts Catalogue showed the right number, but Toyota then merged it with the one off of Camry, so none of the dealerships were able to assist. Car dealerships rarely stock their own parts, ordering them from the main warehouse, so they have no way of ordering obsolete parts even if they are sitting at that warehouse right beside the superseding part, at least as far as I can tell, so most of the people I talked to just told me that I have an aftermarket sway bar.. Maybe it is just my luck, but when I see the specific Part Number listed at the website, I always got the part I ordered.

A superseded part is always compatible with the old part.
Not always as it turned out unfortunately, I learned that the hard way..
Old 11-29-22, 05:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

It is still a separate Part Number, even if it was superseded at one point, and sometimes there is a chance an older part will be sitting on the shelf for a while. This is how I got my bushings, the website also said that the old number was replaced, but I did get the right bushings when I ordered them. I am pretty sure, at least for that platform specifically, that you will get an older part if you buy it, but then I wonder if it even matters which part you will get after all.
This is called getting lucky, specific dealer has the part you want. Problem is dealer parts inventory is not necessarily linked with the entire parts system. It should be but isn't. I asked a dealer about this was told at one time there was a shared system for dealers (not all participated) but that system is long gone.
Here it was the opposite - the Parts Catalogue showed the right number, but Toyota then merged it with the one off of Camry, so none of the dealerships were able to assist. Car dealerships rarely stock their own parts, ordering them from the main warehouse, so they have no way of ordering obsolete parts even if they are sitting at that warehouse right beside the superseding part, at least as far as I can tell, so most of the people I talked to just told me that I have an aftermarket sway bar.. Maybe it is just my luck, but when I see the specific Part Number listed at the website, I always got the part I ordered.
I used to order parts that showed the price (in stock) struck out every time got an email saying so sorry. What parts site exactly did you use?
Not always as it turned out unfortunately, I learned that the hard way..
I knew that part of my post would be called out there are mistakes in the parts system. Rare but they exist. I know of a couple that have never been fixed for example if you try and order a needed bracket for a 1990 Camry V6 you will get the wrong one every single time. This bracket is needed since the water pump design was changed. The bracket you will get is for a 1992 Camry. There is nothing you can do about this, except grind some metal from the water pump.
Old 11-29-22, 07:28 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

This is called getting lucky, specific dealer has the part you want. Problem is dealer parts inventory is not necessarily linked with the entire parts system. It should be but isn't. I asked a dealer about this was told at one time there was a shared system for dealers (not all participated) but that system is long gone.

I used to order parts that showed the price (in stock) struck out every time got an email saying so sorry. What parts site exactly did you use?
Not all the dealerships are parts stores, and conversely, not all parts stores are dealerships.. It appears that this system was replaced by the official Toyota and Lexus part stores that list all the associated Part Numbers, and also give a vastly different price from a given dealership if you order online compared to just calling them up. Those mishaps you experienced may be a result of the place not being an actual parts store, but rather a middleman that would source the parts from Toyota and then re-sell them to a customer, instead of being an actual warehouse with a stock of their own parts that they can manage in whatever way they like.

From what I know, places like ToyotaPartsDeals and PartSouq have their own warehouses with their own systems that don't rely on central Toyota hub to get the parts, while any local dealership or places like Amayama are just middlemen that don't have anything but connections to places where they can potentially get parts from, hence the delays and issues with orders being cancelled out of the blue.

I knew that part of my post would be called out there are mistakes in the parts system. Rare but they exist. I know of a couple that have never been fixed for example if you try and order a needed bracket for a 1990 Camry V6 you will get the wrong one every single time. This bracket is needed since the water pump design was changed. The bracket you will get is for a 1992 Camry. There is nothing you can do about this, except grind some metal from the water pump.
Weird.. Which bracket is it?

Old 11-29-22, 07:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Weird.. Which bracket is it?
If I'm not mistaken this one. Now discontinued.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...316-62010.html

Either way Toyota dun goofed and never fixed it.

edit - I found it, my memory was off (been 7-8 years since I dealt with this) it is the water pump itself
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...315-62031.html
Above will not fit 1988-1991 Camry Toyota says it will.

Last edited by LeX2K; 11-29-22 at 08:00 PM.