ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission won't go in gear reverse only

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22 | 11:46 AM
Desertho
8th Gear

Default Transmission won't go in gear reverse only

98 Lexus ES300 transmission just all the sudden won't go in forward gears change fluid three times used transex also still no gears fluid clean red I read somewhere that you could disconnect at some connection where you could shift it manually don't know how to do that or where the connection is need help
Old 12-16-22 | 04:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

If the fluid is good as well as fluid level then there must be something internally that is failing. You can try removing all the connectors going to the transmission but I highly doubt it will change anything.
Old 12-17-22 | 05:20 PM
Desertho
8th Gear

When I went to go to work that morning and get on the highway gave a little gas and suddenly I felt a thud like it slipped out of gear or something been in neutral ever since but have reversed that's when I change the fluids and what have you isn't there a way that you can shift the gears by yourself I read somewhere like you unplugged something on the transmission that takes it out of automatic and then you shifted yourself but I don't know where it is
Old 12-17-22 | 05:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Is the fluid level correct? Sounds like it could be low. Share what you read about forcing the transmission to shift.
Old 12-20-22 | 04:09 AM
Desertho
8th Gear

At one time I was stuck in second gear did not know that was limp mode somehow it corrected itself then I did not have reverse all forward gears work shifted fine then suddenly went out of forward gears now have reverse only is this possibly a sensor of some sort solenoids in the transmission shift solenoid for example I'm really dumbfounded I was going to go to junkyard and try to get replacements One sensor cost almost 200 bucks my car is old too much money for me
Old 01-06-23 | 07:01 PM
Desertho
8th Gear

Default Update

I have the passenger side on jacks to get under it to work and passenger side when I put it in low starts to go in reverse both sides go in reverse when I put it in reverse when I switch the gears it revs up like it's supposed to but nothing moves except for low it just starts to move but that's it anyone know what that is

There are no codes

Last edited by Desertho; 01-06-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-06-23 | 08:57 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

How did the old fluid look?
Did you drop the pan? If so, how did the magnets look?

If you haven't dropped the pan, it is right about time, not only to inspect the residue on the inside, as well as the magnets, but also to inspect and replace Strainer, it is made out of foam unlike metal mesh from the past, and it does get clogged.

Symptoms like that, especially with no codes stored in the system usually indicate some considerable problems in the transmission's clockwork, but there is no way to tel without dropping the pan.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 01-07-23 | 05:19 PM
Desertho
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

If you haven't dropped the pan, it is right about time, not only to inspect the residue on the inside, as well as the magnets, but also to inspect and replace Strainer, it is made out of foam unlike metal mesh from the past, and it does get clogged.

Symptoms like that, especially with no codes stored in the system usually indicate some considerable problems in the transmission's clockwork, but there is no way to tel without dropping the pan.

Yes and I cleaned it thoroughly with no residue cleaner forget the name of it Ms something anyway there was very little metal on the magnets which was surprising it was fairly clean but the fluid was pretty bad now the fluid is spotless I did have to reuse the filter junction dried up something'kept coming out of there are you seafoam seem to clean it up pretty good but I don't get why it goes into reverse I put it up on jacks and I tried the gears and the right side passenger side starts to spin in reverse then stops that's why I think it's some kind of electric issue or maybe I unplugged big connector which is for the lights on the gears and on the panel but it would not start I unplugged it when it was running straight running but when I turn the car off it wouldn't start again unplugged the connector next to it smaller one not sure what that connector is that's when the car started going in reverse or low spin backwards just a little then stop
Old 01-07-23 | 06:57 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

It is not only the magnets that you have to keep track of when pulling the pan, it is also the residue on said pan. Transmission is not all-metal, there are also clutch packets for each gear that compress and actually engage the gear, those do get worn out from neglect or improper use, and if the Main Forward Clutch got cooked, transmission will not be able to engage any of the forward gears.

If the fluid is clean and up to a proper level, the Strainer is installed correctly, and there are no extraneous sounds coming from the car when it is running, last step would be to drop the Valve Body and hope that the clutch pack under it will not have a ton of play in it, otherwise there will be no choice but to pull the transmission out and either rebuild or replace it.

Most of the functions in those older transmissions are still mechanical, Solenoids are there only to enhance the performance and shift quality, the car should still be operational even with the entire harness being disconnected from the transmission, even though you will be the one responsible for shifting gears with the Gear Shifter.

Old 01-07-23 | 11:26 PM
Desertho
8th Gear

Thank you very much I read somewhere that you could unplug everything on the transmission and just shipped it by the gear shifter and basically bypass solenoid I will give it a shot in a.m. I am a positive thinking person I just strongly feel that it is something simple that I am just overlooking could be the desert heat even in the winter LOL LOL LOL
Old 01-10-23 | 04:17 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

"Clockwork"?
Old 01-10-23 | 04:19 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Desertho
Thank you very much I read somewhere that you could unplug everything on the transmission and just shipped it by the gear shifter and basically bypass solenoid I will give it a shot in a.m. I am a positive thinking person I just strongly feel that it is something simple that I am just overlooking could be the desert heat even in the winter LOL LOL LOL
Keep positive!
Sounds like to you need to replace your transmission.
Old 01-11-23 | 03:48 PM
Desertho
8th Gear

Have you ever seen a grown man cry if you could see through this phone then you would I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that thanks for everyone's help