ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

so i have the infamous sticky melted dash issue on 2007 i purchased what is best plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 01:15 PM
Derfion
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ESmailman
this is an aftermarket dash cover. Not a dashboard. This is a molded piece of plastic that is siliconed (basically glued) onto your OeM sticky dash.
Ah, I see Coverlay at $300 so I was confused.
Old 06-11-24, 04:41 PM
Thadvere
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coverlay color?

Originally Posted by ESmailman

A little of the silicone oozed out by the vent.

Color match was spot on. I have the dark grey interior.

Just a little thicker at the two pieces that come down to the center console.

Do you recall the color of the Coverlay dash you choose? Black or Dark Gray are their online choices (among other random colors)---I'm trying to pick the color that best matches the OEM dash color. Your color choice looks like almost an exact match.

The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (09-02-24)
Old 08-08-24, 04:52 PM
x0TheBaldGuy0x
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered the black Coverlay. Will try to remember to post before / after pics here. This is our second ES. My daughter has a 2008 with a perfect dash. I found a 2011 with 39K miles for my personal vehicle. Beautiful car, but concerned about the sticky dash problem. The dash is soft/sticky to the touch, but not shiny yet. Before I order a full replacement dash, I want to try the Coverlay product. Perfect opportunity because I am upgrading the audio system and replacing the leather upholstery. Not sure how much the previous owner used the car, but the battery was an OEM Lexus battery, and I found a Johnny Mathis CD in the factory radio.
TCoolest2 (08-08-24)
Old 08-27-24, 07:04 PM
x0TheBaldGuy0x
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coverlay dash is not a direct fit, especially up around the dash speaker area. The original dash is still visible on both sides - 1/8 inch on the passenger and 1/4 inch on the driver. I attempted fit-ups several times before using the silicone to lock it into place. Additionally, the silicone adhesive smell is still very strong inside the car after over a week. Lastly, the color is not an exact match. I have driven around with the Coverlay dash for almost two weeks, and there are just too many negatives for me to keep it. I do not recommend the product. I am looking for an OEM replacement. I plan to throw out the Coverlay dash cover and the original dashboard. If you need something just to cover up a dash, the product will probably work for your needs. My expectations were too high.
Jerseyken (09-02-24)
Old 08-27-24, 07:45 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have those before and after pics @x0TheBaldGuy0x ?

I have another issue regarding the cover lay which I'll circle back to. I tried the Sticky Dash Kit as I noted in this thread last year. It at this point has completely failed. I think I probably should have just used the whole bottle provided (which was really small I felt, but maybe my dash is an extreme case of melting). But it seems it doesn't even matter if the sun is directly on the dash. I have a reflective windshield cover, but it doesn't help. It's just it being hot in general making the whole dash soften and melt.

So I'll circle back to the coverlay. I just imagine even if I put the coverlay on, the dash would just continue to melt under it, venting gas, etc.

I'm starting to think as well this dashboard holds in so much heat it due to it's defect that it makes the car like a green house.
Jerseyken (09-02-24)
Old 09-01-24, 09:44 PM
Hokies
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dash is in good condition but I accidentally used Cerakote exterior trim polish on it and it permanently looks shiny/new. Only sometimes do I notice it’s “too” shiny…
Old 09-03-24, 08:22 PM
ESmailman
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thadvere
Do you recall the color of the Coverlay dash you choose? Black or Dark Gray are their online choices (among other random colors)---I'm trying to pick the color that best matches the OEM dash color. Your color choice looks like almost an exact match.
its the dark gray…sorry I didnt see your question until tonight. I love it….i prefer this over dashmats. This is a luxury car, so she deserves to be pampered.