ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

so i have the infamous sticky melted dash issue on 2007 i purchased what is best plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-23, 01:31 PM
Timcstl
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i have the infamous sticky melted dash issue on 2007 i purchased what is best plan

what is best approach for dealing with my 2007 lexus es350 melting dash. Most of mine is closest to windshield
Old 03-07-23, 08:22 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I would recommend trying a dashboard cover, similar to a carpet that lays on the dashboard form fit for your model. My personal approach would be to do the whole dash replacement but I understand that's not in everyone's budget.
The following users liked this post:
Jerseyken (06-28-23)
Old 03-07-23, 08:38 PM
AA2016
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Get a black dash cover. I got a carpet one over 6 years ago from eBay and it really helps with the glare and the overall look. I know a company called Coverlay sells an exact fitment one that you glue for a few hundred bucks, but I've seen mixed reviews on it.
Old 03-07-23, 09:47 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sticky dash kit I have tried and am satisfied with the results. It's sort of applied as if you were painting with a paint brush. Less than 100 dollars. I've been meaning to make a video on it, I applied I 6-7 months ago. Mine was badly melted, giant glare, everything sticking to the dash. Heck there's material in the dash because the dash would melt, material would seep in, then get stuck overnight when it re-hardened. (Material like dust/lint for example).

But I would say if you don't know how to paint with a foam brush, practice a bit and look up some techniques to minimizing streaks.
I should of had it done though when the windshield was replaced, would of been much easier to apply.
Old 04-16-23, 12:18 PM
ESmailman
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2009 had it bad and I bought the hard dash cover from coverlay. Looks awesome and OEM. Saw the mat and “carpet” looking dash mats and was not impressed at all. Detracts from the “luxury” aspect of the brand.
Old 04-19-23, 08:44 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Dash

Originally Posted by Timcstl
what is best approach for dealing with my 2007 lexus es350 melting dash. Most of mine is closest to windshield
I had same issue and used this stuff
STARTSO WORLD Leather-Recoloring-Balm-Repair-Cream-Kit for Restoration Dark Gray Couches, Sofa, Furniture Color Dye Restorer - 8OZ https://a.co/d/9tGgEr0

Works like a charm! Make sure you clean Dash really well! Use Goo Be Gone and try to get rid of as much stickiness as possible. It took me about 5 coats. It does make your dash shiny! My dash has tiny hairline cracks in it and this stuff will seal most of them, larger ones I will be using putty then re-doing with this stuff over that.
Old 06-04-23, 08:05 AM
krolnik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

stickydashfix.com or something like that. Product includes cleaner and sealer/colorant. Do a good job cleaning and then use a small roller for the sealer/colorant. Get the filler if you have largish cracks. Beats looking at the glare and cracks.

Old 06-04-23, 12:11 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

An update to my last reply about the stickydashfix. I applied it last around last August/Sept and it seems now, it is failing less than a year later in the warm weather. Dash is melting again.
Jerseyken (06-28-23)
Old 06-04-23, 12:56 PM
krolnik
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would speak to the company. They replied to my questions pretty quickly.
Old 06-28-23, 08:04 AM
Jerseyken
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Timcstl
Hi...I have the same issue with my 08 ES 350. I purchased a carpet that precisely fits over my dash from Amazon. Great deal and looks good.
Old 06-30-23, 05:33 PM
ESmailman
9th Gear

A little of the silicone oozed out by the vent.

Color match was spot on. I have the dark grey interior.

Just a little thicker at the two pieces that come down to the center console.
Jerseyken (06-30-23)
Old 06-30-23, 05:58 PM
Jerseyken
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks very nice. But the dashboard is about 500 bucks so not sure it's worth it if I'm hearing they're falling off after a year or so. How long have you had the dashboard cover on for?
Old 07-01-23, 05:52 AM
ESmailman
9th Gear

It’s been almost two years. Nothing is lifting. Still feels fully attached. I’m in the suburbs of NYC so we get pretty hot here in the summers. I haven’t checked since but I believe it was under $400 with shipping when I bought it. I figured I would post a some pics since no one has yet. I’m hoping it doesn’t fall off but if it does, I’ll just reapply silicone again or possibly just Velcro it.
Old 07-13-23, 12:36 PM
Derfion
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jerseyken
Looks very nice. But the dashboard is about 500 bucks so not sure it's worth it if I'm hearing they're falling off after a year or so. How long have you had the dashboard cover on for?
would you mind sharing where you saw a dash for $500? was it used or new? I think Lexus sells them for over $1k
Old 07-13-23, 12:55 PM
ESmailman
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Derfion
would you mind sharing where you saw a dash for $500? was it used or new? I think Lexus sells them for over $1k
this is an aftermarket dash cover. Not a dashboard. This is a molded piece of plastic that is siliconed (basically glued) onto your OeM sticky dash.

Quick Reply: so i have the infamous sticky melted dash issue on 2007 i purchased what is best plan