ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23 | 11:45 PM
Majorghn
Driver

Default Spark Plugs

Are TRQ good spark plugs? Is it necessary to get the coil packs when installing spark plugs?

Ignition Coil Set with Spark Plugs 12 Piece - 2007-2018 Lexus ES350 3.5L V6 - TRQ

I bought this car in March 2023 and have no idea when it had last tune up plus it get terrible gas mileage so will have mechanic also clean mef when he installs plugs and wires. Speaking of wires, who makes best ones for this car?
Old 04-23-23 | 06:54 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

There are no wires for this car.
Spark plugs Denso or NGK. You don't need to replace the coils however is it recommended to replace the rear ones.
Old 04-23-23 | 09:50 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by ESh
There are no wires for this car.
Spark plugs Denso or NGK. You don't need to replace the coils however is it recommended to replace the rear ones.
How many are in the rear? Thank you for responding!
Old 04-23-23 | 10:51 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

3 in the rear, but they are very hard to get to.
Old 04-23-23 | 10:54 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

There are three in the rear, along the firewall, and a PIA to access. Not a bad idea to replace those coils but don't get cheap coils as they may go bad sooner than later. I’ve had good experience with Yec Flamma coils, a Japanese manufacturer of aftermarket products. People also have positive experience with Denso coils. I would not get any other unless your mechanic gives you a good warranty to replace them if they go bad. I initially bought coils from AA Ignition with two year warranty. I bought three over two years. One went bad shortly after two years. The other two went bad within two years but the company never acknowledged my warranty claims online.
Old 04-23-23 | 11:33 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

I bought 6 Ena coils from Amazon for 70 bucks 5 years ago and they are still working.
Old 04-24-23 | 12:20 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
There are three in the rear, along the firewall, and a PIA to access. Not a bad idea to replace those coils but don't get cheap coils as they may go bad sooner than later. I’ve had good experience with Yec Flamma coils, a Japanese manufacturer of aftermarket products. People also have positive experience with Denso coils. I would not get any other unless your mechanic gives you a good warranty to replace them if they go bad. I initially bought coils from AA Ignition with two year warranty. I bought three over two years. One went bad shortly after two years. The other two went bad within two years but the company never acknowledged my warranty claims online.
Can bad coils cause significant drop in gas mileage?
Old 04-24-23 | 02:04 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

No, if they go bad the engine will start to shake.
Old 04-25-23 | 12:37 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by ESh
No, if they go bad the engine will start to shake.
Well definitely not the coils lol

What about dirty MEF?
Old 04-25-23 | 01:40 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Dirty MAF can lower the MPG. Get a can of CRC MAF cleaner from a parts store a give it a try.
Old 04-25-23 | 04:09 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

The most common reasons for bad gas mileage are:

Underinflated tires, carrying around excess weight (no, not your wife), overdue engine air filter, aggressive driving style, and all city driving with little freeway miles.

If your plugs or coils were bad, you'd be getting codes.
The following users liked this post:
sthpawil (04-26-23)
Old 04-25-23 | 08:34 PM
sthpawil
Driver

Originally Posted by Majorghn
Can bad coils cause significant drop in gas mileage?
PCV valve is cheap and if not working properly can slightly effect fuel mileage. You may want to change it. Toyota P/N 12204-31120.

Old 04-26-23 | 01:33 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
The most common reasons for bad gas mileage are:

Underinflated tires, carrying around excess weight (no, not your wife), overdue engine air filter, aggressive driving style, and all city driving with little freeway miles.

If your plugs or coils were bad, you'd be getting codes.
Tire pressure is good, I dont drive aggressively, ordered new engine air filter, no idea what current one looks like but never hurt to install new one! I bought car in March. Drive some hiway miles bit mostly city driving!

Where is the MEF located? If I can get to it probably needs cleaned!
Old 04-26-23 | 01:36 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by Majorghn
Well definitely not the coils lol

What about dirty MEF?
Google will not tell me where the MEF is located
Old 04-26-23 | 04:31 AM
sthpawil
Driver

NOTE: There are many videos on YouTube regarding maintenance and service items for the ES350 engine, but many times it will be under Toyota Camry or 2GR-FE engine. The V6 Camry and ES350 are basically twins under the hood. One of the best YouTube channels for Lexus repairs is The Car Care Nut.

What is your MPG?

If you are in an area that has winter blend and summer blend fuels, you should see a slight increase in mpg as gasoline switches from winter blend to summer blend on May 1st

During the summer, I get 31-32 mpg on long interstate trips when driving sensibly and using PREMIUM fuel.

In my normal day to day driving which is about 60/40 highway/city and using 87 octane fuel, I get about 24 mpg during the winter and 26.5 mpg during the summer. I might expect 20-22 mpg in all city driving, but that is just a guess.

As mentioned before, your driving habits (acceleration and braking), highway vs city, and tire pressure will have a huge effect on your fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs