ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Coil Pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-23, 01:09 PM
Majorghn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Pack

The prices and brands for coil pack for my 2007 Lexus es 350 is all over the place! Saw prices from $19.99 each to $111 each.

Even Denso prices were all over the place, saw one store had 6 Denso coil packs at $433.00

Not doing that? I refused to buy from ebay also. You hard to get refunded and too long. Sellers are jerks a lot also!

Amazon links are bogus and not showing correct product!

Anybody here know where I can get a set of Denso or NGK coil packs not too expensive? I read here that I may only need rear coils. My cars is running fine except terrible gas mileage! Only getting 9.8 mpg city driving, supposed to get 21 mpg
Old 04-23-23, 01:21 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 973 Likes on 733 Posts

I don't think your gas mileage is bad because of the spark plugs (replacing them would help a little except if they are factory). You need to check a couple of things: first the fuel trims, air filter, vacuum leaks, to clan the MAF...

If I am not mistaken yours has 200000 miles?
The following users liked this post:
Wilson2000 (04-23-23)
Old 04-23-23, 02:02 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Check autozone and such stores. I don't know what brand they carry, but when the first coil went out in our ES, I had few choices. Theirs was $90 at the time and came with a lifetime warranty. That was at about 70K and over ten years ago, and it is still functioning - the ES is approaching 300K. Since then, I’ve replaced three additional coils, which I mention on your other thread, so, wont mention it further here.

I would replace the rear three and keep the old ones as backup should the front go bad. The fronts are super easy to replace; I would replace those as they go bad.
Old 04-23-23, 02:05 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

I got the Denso part number directly off my OEM coils and bought used ones on Ebay for $15 each. The OEM coils are very reliable, and also affordable if you buy used.

I wouldn't buy anything new off Ebay unless it was from a Toyota/Lexus dealer. The chance of getting counterfeit is too high, even when buying non-OEM, Denso coils. Many Chinese manufacturers are counterfeiting these days. They sell parts that people are willing to pay a premium for in order to get good quality, and charge slightly less for parts that are rot-gut quality at best!
Old 04-24-23, 12:13 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by ESh
I don't think your gas mileage is bad because of the spark plugs (replacing them would help a little except if they are factory). You need to check a couple of things: first the fuel trims, air filter, vacuum leaks, to clan the MAF...

If I am not mistaken yours has 200000 miles?
Only has 159,000 miles

Fuel trims? What is that? How would I check for vacuum leaks? My cars is not showing any Dash icons except low tire indicator as always!

So I bought 6 spark plugs for nothing? I read after I bought them I need to buy gaskets? They mentioned throttle body gasket for one.

I had alternator checked & battery checked today while at parts store, both checked out fine. I had traction control icon and VSC warning lights come on out of the blue after starting car and when I drove it the traction control was engaged! I have no idea how or why that happened! Got it home and parked it, few hours later started it up with no issues and none so far! Very strange!
Old 04-24-23, 12:25 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
Check autozone and such stores. I don't know what brand they carry, but when the first coil went out in our ES, I had few choices. Theirs was $90 at the time and came with a lifetime warranty. That was at about 70K and over ten years ago, and it is still functioning - the ES is approaching 300K. Since then, I’ve replaced three additional coils, which I mention on your other thread, so, wont mention it further here.

I would replace the rear three and keep the old ones as backup should the front go bad. The fronts are super easy to replace; I would replace those as they go bad.
Why replace rear ones? Do they go bad more often than front ones?
Old 04-24-23, 02:02 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 973 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorghn
Only has 159,000 miles

Fuel trims? What is that? How would I check for vacuum leaks? My cars is not showing any Dash icons except low tire indicator as always!

So I bought 6 spark plugs for nothing? I read after I bought them I need to buy gaskets? They mentioned throttle body gasket for one.

I had alternator checked & battery checked today while at parts store, both checked out fine. I had traction control icon and VSC warning lights come on out of the blue after starting car and when I drove it the traction control was engaged! I have no idea how or why that happened! Got it home and parked it, few hours later started it up with no issues and none so far! Very strange!

Since it has 159000 miles I bet they are the factory ones. I don't think anybody replaced them in the meantime.
The fuel trims and the leak you should check with the diagnostic tool, Carista, Techstream, Torque...
It is recommended to buy the gaskets but you don't need if they're not hard to touch.

VSC light can come up because of many reasons, not only related to the system itself.

Originally Posted by Majorghn
Why replace rear ones? Do they go bad more often than front ones?
No, but they are very hard to replace if one of them goes bad later.

The following users liked this post:
chuyrobles (04-24-23)