ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 02:41 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks

I'm a new Lexis owner since March, what's the deal with the door locks? I left my car running since it was cold back in March to warm up only to find out stupid car would not unlock the doors even if I had the key fob in my pocket?

I had to use the manual back up key to open the door. I don't get it? Is their a trick to it?

Many times even now I need to leave car running and don't want to get locked out so leave drivers door window down and reach in and open door manually.

My car has some kind of phantom door lock thing going on, I'll be sitting in the car and doing nothing and door lock noise is heard. Sometimes when I'm walking around car it makes that noise and doesn't actually lock the doors just makes that noise! Weird!

Supposedly if you press a button on the key fob quickly it will set up so all doors open at same time not just drivers door l.
Old 04-29-23, 05:11 AM
sthpawil
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Door lock setup instructions are in the manual.

Perhaps you should put a new battery in your key FOB.

You could also have faulty door lock actuators. Rock Auto sells AISIN actuators, which are OEM. I had to replace one a couple of months ago. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/lexus,2010,es350,3.5l+v6,1445198,body+&+lamp+assembly,door+lock+actuator,13257

SIDE NOTE: In your other posts you constantly complain about your MPGs, yet here you are once again talking about how you leave your car running all the time.

Last edited by sthpawil; 04-29-23 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-30-23, 12:46 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by sthpawil
Door lock setup instructions are in the manual.

Perhaps you should put a new battery in your key FOB. Key Fob is brand new!

You could also have faulty door lock actuators. Rock Auto sells AISIN actuators, which are OEM. I had to replace one a couple of months ago. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...actuator,13257

SIDE NOTE: In your other posts you constantly complain about your MPGs, yet here you are once again talking about how you leave your car running all the time.
I'm not constantly complaining about it, don't worry about it!

I'm not complaining about cost of fuel! Once again I have to explain to you that mpg and cost of fuel are two separate issues! Not complaining about what I'm spending on fuel son! Just trying to find out why car is getting low mileage and idling ain't got nothing to do with mpg!!

Old 04-30-23, 05:20 AM
sthpawil
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorghn
idling ain't got nothing to do with mpg!!
It absolutely does, because when it is idling it is getting 0 MPG. That is why many new cars have the feature where the engine turns off automatically at stop lights.

Here are your stats for April that you listed in another post:

95% was city driving
Total Fuel Cost: $128.73
Total Gallons: 29.61
Miles Driven: 350

How much was your car left idling during the month of April? 15 minutes per day? 30 minutes per day? 1 hour per day? 2 hours per day? Idling time adds up over a month.

It will be interesting to hear what you find out when you take your car to the shop for diagnosis.
Old 04-30-23, 12:00 PM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Of course idling affects MPG... you're averaging in a bunch of 0's into the calculation.

Anyways try a new key fob battery. Also sometimes at least for me my other keys pressed the button on the key fob, or something like my phone may cause interference in the same pocket. I occasionally get the phantom locking once in a blue moon. It's either just electrical gremlins of an old car, or this: In the manual it describes that there's a setting I think the car will automatically lock itself if you forgot to lock it and walked away after 30 seconds. If it's not detecting your key because of the above reasons, it might think you walked away.
The following users liked this post:
sthpawil (05-02-23)
Old 05-01-23, 01:56 AM
Majorghn
Driver

Originally Posted by TCoolest2
Of course idling affects MPG... you're averaging in a bunch of 0's into the calculation.

Anyways try a new key fob battery. Also sometimes at least for me my other keys pressed the button on the key fob, or something like my phone may cause interference in the same pocket. I occasionally get the phantom locking once in a blue moon. It's either just electrical gremlins of an old car, or this: In the manual it describes that there's a setting I think the car will automatically lock itself if you forgot to lock it and walked away after 30 seconds. If it's not detecting your key because of the above reasons, it might think you walked away.
If idling effects the mpg then cop cars would only get 4 mpg as much as they idle l and I would think municipalities would frown on that.

I don't idle that much, depends on season. I do food delivery so 2-3 minutes each stop maybe. Winter time Def more!

I changed my engine air filter 2 days ago and went from 10.9 mpg to 11.2 mpg

I bought a new key fob and battery from Lexus dealer one month ago so Door lock issue is not that.

One thing messed up about lexus door locks is you can't leave it running, lock it, then come back and use fob to open doors l, have to use manual key! That's some dumb *** **** IMHO! Why does Lexux care if the car is running, the fob opens doors that's it function Lexus!
Old 05-01-23, 08:51 AM
TCoolest2
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cop cars and other government vehicles can get specific designs and specifications for them and them only. I've never heard of cop cars getting good gas mileage at all, but if it was wanted, they could simply design to ignore idling values once the car idles past a certain amount of time. Why they would want that makes no sense, they don't care. Whether it tells you that you get 20 mpg because they decided to ignore the 0's from idling in th calculation or give you the actual real value of "4", the car is using the same gas unless the engine is off.

As an engineer, I'm telling you, idling goes into the calculation. Also I explained in your other thread that this is the car's performance for the engine. I got the same performance as you when I had to do ubereats/door dash. 2-3 mins is a lot. That's probably a few hundred 0s to thousands. How about when you're waiting for an order, idling for 10 minutes?

Just follow the recommendations in that thread and that's the best performance you're gonna get. Unfortunately the MPG killed whatever I was making doing delivery at the time I switched to my bike. This isn't the car to get best mileage while delivering.

Yeah the can't leave it running while locking the door is extremely annoying. No idea why it's done that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by TCoolest2:
jkayca (05-02-23), sthpawil (05-02-23)
Old 05-01-23, 11:03 AM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Cop cars and other government vehicles can get specific designs and specifications for them and them only. I've never heard of cop cars getting good gas mileage at all, but if it was wanted, they could simply design to ignore idling values once the car idles past a certain amount of time. Why they would want that makes no sense, they don't care. Whether it tells you that you get 20 mpg because they decided to ignore the 0's from idling in th calculation or give you the actual real value of "4", the car is using the same gas unless the engine is off.
Correct, the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor has separate stats to measure idle time, because it will be idled a lot and that will put wear on the engine, and the 4.0L V8 eats gasoline like no tomorrow!
The following 2 users liked this post by spaceballs:
sthpawil (05-02-23), TCoolest2 (05-01-23)
Old 05-02-23, 12:26 AM
Majorghn
Driver

As an engineer, I'm telling you, idling goes into the calculation. Also I explained in your other thread that this is the car's performance for the engine. I got the same performance as you when I had to do ubereats/door dash. 2-3 mins is a lot. That's probably a few hundred 0s to thousands. How about when you're waiting for an order, idling for 10 minutes?

Just follow the recommendations in that thread and that's the best performance you're gonna get. Unfortunately the MPG killed whatever I was making doing delivery at the time I switched to my bike. This isn't the car to get best mileage while delivering.

Yeah the can't leave it running while locking the door is extremely annoying. No idea why it's done that way.
Funny you mentioned a bike! I assume you meant motorcycle not bicycle? I actually have a 600cc scooter, 2010 Honda Silverwing FJS 600. Started delivering with it a week ago (when it's not flipping raining) when front brakes decided to lock up and practically cause a fire! Lost rear break also since their linked. Held up one lane of traffic for 15 min until it cooled down and I could limp it home.

Got it fixed today, hopefully! Mechanic friend of mine took caliper apart, has no idea why it did that! Rotor is fine! Everything seems fine unless it's in the brake lever assembly, forget what all that's called. Will clean up bike later today and ride it and see how it goes! My bike gets about 36 mpg in the city. It's all set up for good delivery, topbox & saddlebags.