ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Upgrading 2008 ES 350 nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 12:59 PM
Inheriteda2008ES350
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE: My unit arrived yesterday despite USPS only showing a shipping label was created. This morning, I decided to give the installation a shot and see how things go.

I'm in complete shock - EVERYTHING WORKS! Including the backup camera without having to adjust any wiring. I was able to use the plugs provided in the kit and connect them to OEM setup and all worked from the second I turned on the unit. In addition, the unit was already set to my specific car so the climate and steering wheel controls worked perfefctly too - with zero adjustments needed. The only things I had to do were set the date/time and connect my phone via Bluetooth and run ZLink for wireless CarPlay which connected pretty quickly. I did get disconnected from it once but that was because I was playing around with the Wi-Fi settings. I'm already itching to get an LTE card to add to the unit but that's a "nice to have" maybe down the road.

Now I'm moving on to research how to cusotmize the screen a little more, ordering an ipad glare guard I can cut down to size, and maybe setup a cool launch screen. I'm actually worried writing this update that a jinx is coming but again - so far so good.

I will post another update in about 25 days - my deadline for returning the unit if things take a bad turn but I'm expecting to keep it. Not too bad for less than $500 on Amazon.

Thanks for all of your input and technical documentation - much appreciated.
Old 02-23-24, 04:31 PM
hansenb25
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the Amazon link? Is it still working good?

QUOTE=Inheriteda2008ES350;11605948]UPDATE: My unit arrived yesterday despite USPS only showing a shipping label was created. This morning, I decided to give the installation a shot and see how things go.

I'm in complete shock - EVERYTHING WORKS! Including the backup camera without having to adjust any wiring. I was able to use the plugs provided in the kit and connect them to OEM setup and all worked from the second I turned on the unit. In addition, the unit was already set to my specific car so the climate and steering wheel controls worked perfefctly too - with zero adjustments needed. The only things I had to do were set the date/time and connect my phone via Bluetooth and run ZLink for wireless CarPlay which connected pretty quickly. I did get disconnected from it once but that was because I was playing around with the Wi-Fi settings. I'm already itching to get an LTE card to add to the unit but that's a "nice to have" maybe down the road.

Now I'm moving on to research how to cusotmize the screen a little more, ordering an ipad glare guard I can cut down to size, and maybe setup a cool launch screen. I'm actually worried writing this update that a jinx is coming but again - so far so good.

I will post another update in about 25 days - my deadline for returning the unit if things take a bad turn but I'm expecting to keep it. Not too bad for less than $500 on Amazon.

Thanks for all of your input and technical documentation - much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-16-24, 12:32 PM
AKizzybee
2nd gear

omg we have the same exact nav system (the original one). I'm mainly concerned about the climate control? mines is only controlled through the screen, as well as yours, how are you able to control said climate now with the changed screen? will there need to be reprogramming? also, does apple car play only work with your lighting cable plugged into phone or you can do it wirelessly? or both? i hope you see this
Old 07-22-24, 04:32 AM
versionDefect
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AKizzybee;[url=tel:11756655
11756655[/url]]omg we have the same exact nav system (the original one). I'm mainly concerned about the climate control? mines is only controlled through the screen, as well as yours, how are you able to control said climate now with the changed screen? will there need to be reprogramming? also, does apple car play only work with your lighting cable plugged into phone or you can do it wirelessly? or both? i hope you see this
Hi so a quick TLDR. As far as i know, if you want to control your climate you gotta get one of those Tesla style screens. With that said, they kinda suck.

My Lexus kicked the bucket and i bought a new Camry instead but from what I remember the Carplay on it genuinely sucked at times. Forget wireless carplay, it was SO bad. And wired CarPlay wasn’t much better. It wouldn’t provide enough power to my phone so it would actually drain more than it was using, and the quality was bleh.

If you do decide to get them, get the ones withOUT buttons. the buttons were TERREIBLEEE.