ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Creaking noise in rear when going over bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 05:46 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking noise in rear when going over bumps.

Hi Club Lexus,

Hoping I could get some help diagnosing this creaking sound from my 2008 ES. Sound is coming from the right rear. The creaking sounds just like walking over old wooden floors when they creak.

Only happens when going over sudden bumps (speed bumps, driveway when it drops from driveway to road etc)

Tried pushing up and down on the rear and no sound. Inspected suspension components and don't notice anything lose. The only thing that is slightly loose is the sway bar links which I plan on changing in the spring but doesn't sound like the issue is with the sway bar links.

Sway bar bushings are fine as I replaced them just two years ago. Don't see any visible leaks in the strut and the suspension seems fine.

Any idea what I can check for or if any other common issues that may cause this?

Could it be from a worn strut Mount?

Thanks
Old 11-07-23, 04:30 PM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Haha, I have the same on my front, after changing the sway bar links, it's still there, my mechanic said there's nothing wrong that he can see.
But do check your strut mounts, just in case there is some play, there could be quite a few things that contribute to the creak.

I plan on changing my sway bar bushings at my next oil change, to see if that makes it go away, it gets worse when the car is heavier loaded, but for now I've ignored it and after 16,000 kms, it's not gotten any worse.
Old 11-07-23, 04:53 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same symptom on my ES350 but I couldn't locate the issue. Not sure if we have to lube the sway bar bushing area I couldn't replicate it when pressing the car up and down.
Old 11-07-23, 08:35 PM
AA2016
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a similar problem although I would describe the noise as more a clunk sound. I changed the rear sway bar bushings which did not fix it. I had a Lexus dealer look at it while in for a different issue and here is their diagnosis:

“Rear knuckle bushings are noisy when going over bumps. Loosened both rear trailing arms to lubricate bushings and test drove. Noise is gone but will come back. Replace both rear knuckles.”

Never took care of it, but will at some point when it gets really bad.
Old 11-08-23, 10:39 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by spaceballs
Haha, I have the same on my front, after changing the sway bar links, it's still there, my mechanic said there's nothing wrong that he can see.
But do check your strut mounts, just in case there is some play, there could be quite a few things that contribute to the creak.

I plan on changing my sway bar bushings at my next oil change, to see if that makes it go away, it gets worse when the car is heavier loaded, but for now I've ignored it and after 16,000 kms, it's not gotten any worse.
yeah will need to look into how to test a worn strut mount. Worst case I replace the strut mount anyways since it's not that expensive.

Originally Posted by AA2016
I have a similar problem although I would describe the noise as more a clunk sound. I changed the rear sway bar bushings which did not fix it. I had a Lexus dealer look at it while in for a different issue and here is their diagnosis:

“Rear knuckle bushings are noisy when going over bumps. Loosened both rear trailing arms to lubricate bushings and test drove. Noise is gone but will come back. Replace both rear knuckles.”

Never took care of it, but will at some point when it gets really bad.
Mines definitely a creaking sound. I've had clunking sounds on other Toyota's and they were usually the sway bar links.

I will take a look at the knuckles and see, not sure if obvious but will try lubing it.

My sound has gotten worst over the past few weeks.
Old 11-09-23, 11:14 AM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

I have this exact noise on my 11. I just ordered OEM rear swaybar bushings; hope to install them tonight if I have time. If not, maybe sometime this weekend. I'll report back if they resolve the issue. Mine is almost always turning and going over a bump or up an incline. Sounds like a hollow pop---best way to describe it is someone grabbing the pull down "oh *****" handle above the rear door and suddenly letting it go popping it back into place against the headliner.
Old 11-09-23, 05:27 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JRA2000TL
I have this exact noise on my 11. I just ordered OEM rear swaybar bushings; hope to install them tonight if I have time. If not, maybe sometime this weekend. I'll report back if they resolve the issue. Mine is almost always turning and going over a bump or up an incline. Sounds like a hollow pop---best way to describe it is someone grabbing the pull down "oh *****" handle above the rear door and suddenly letting it go popping it back into place against the headliner.
Your description does sound like the sway bar bushings. I had a similar issue last year or the year before and replaced the bushings and it fixed it.

However my current sound is more of a squeak/creak. Like an old bed.

I will be replacing the strut mounts and sway bar links and see. My gut is telling me it's the mounts.
Old 11-10-23, 11:43 AM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Well, the rear sway bar bushings didn’t fix the issue. I’ll have to check the stabilizer links next.
Old 11-10-23, 04:22 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Well, the rear sway bar bushings didn’t fix the issue. I’ll have to check the stabilizer links next.
I ordered the strut mounts and sway bar links and will be doing them next weekend after the parts arrive.

Other than that, the only other possible culprit would be the control arm bushings, which is a huge pain to change...

Really hoping it's the mounts.
Old 11-11-23, 05:02 AM
BillUK
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

I used to have an occasional "creak" going over bumps. However, since I started rustproofing by spraying the underside with a rustproofing oil (ACF 50) any creaks have disappeared.
Old 11-15-23, 01:53 PM
JRA2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by azncapcom
I ordered the strut mounts and sway bar links and will be doing them next weekend after the parts arrive.

Other than that, the only other possible culprit would be the control arm bushings, which is a huge pain to change...

Really hoping it's the mounts.
Doesn't the whole strut have to come out of the spring to replace the mounts? If that's the case and the struts are original, I wonder if you should replace them while you're in there. I did struts, mounts, and coils on all 4 corners of an old Taurus SHO project car I used to have. It was a monumental PITA, and I hate using those spring compressor tools, which is like playing with death. I had tennis elbow for a month tugging, pulling, and beating on the knuckle to get the struts out. I swore I'd never do it again; but these cars aren't as bad from the looks of them.
Old 11-16-23, 05:48 AM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Doesn't the whole strut have to come out of the spring to replace the mounts? If that's the case and the struts are original, I wonder if you should replace them while you're in there. I did struts, mounts, and coils on all 4 corners of an old Taurus SHO project car I used to have. It was a monumental PITA, and I hate using those spring compressor tools, which is like playing with death. I had tennis elbow for a month tugging, pulling, and beating on the knuckle to get the struts out. I swore I'd never do it again; but these cars aren't as bad from the looks of them.
Only planning to replace the mounts as the struts seem fine. Struts were also replaced by dealer about 100kkm ago under extended warranty, but I dont think they replaced the mounts at the time.

The work isn't that bad. I was debating on replacing the whole assembly but then I would also be tempted to do the front and the costs add up for an old car.
I am really hoping it's not the control arms cause those are a pain...
Old 11-18-23, 04:54 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

If going to the trouble to take apart 100,000 km (66,000 mile) strut assemblies to replace the strut mounts, you may as well get some new struts too as the odds are they will fail in the 50,000 km and the extra labor is minimal at this point. Rock Auto has KYB or Sachs struts for between $80 and $90 each. Or cheaper for Monroe, or even cheaper for FCS but your ride may suffer.
You will need an alignment after removing the struts.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-18-23 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 04:18 PM
azncapcom
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clutchless
If going to the trouble to take apart 100,000 km (66,000 mile) strut assemblies to replace the strut mounts, you may as well get some new struts too as the odds are they will fail in the 50,000 km and the extra labor is minimal at this point. Rock Auto has KYB or Sachs struts for between $80 and $90 each. Or cheaper for Monroe, or even cheaper for FCS but your ride may suffer.
You will need an alignment after removing the struts.
Shipping to Canada really kills the deal. $100+ in shipping.

How are the Monroe struts?

I've heard people that swapped certain aftermarket struts and they were worst than the old OEM ones.

Agreed on the pain to take it apart. Especially the sway bar links. I ended up grinding it off.

Thing is, I don't know how many more years I'm planning to keep the car. If the strut fails in the next couple years. I don't think the new sway bar links would be seized yet to not be able to remove.

The rest is pretty easy to take apart.
Old 11-19-23, 05:10 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

So there are no Canada sources for KYB or Sachs struts? How much are new OEM struts?

Quick Reply: Creaking noise in rear when going over bumps.