ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

AFS light flashing with codes B2413, B2418, and B2424.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 06:24 AM
dwayne10norman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS light flashing with codes B2413, B2418, and B2424.

Hey everybody, I just bought a 2012 Lexus es350 with 100,000 miles. I love the car!!!! It rides so smooth and has a beautiful engine. My problem with the car is the headlamps. The headlights are pointing too low and I believe they are not adjusted correctly. The AFS lights are flashing so I believe that is the issue. I got 3 codes regarding the AFS flashing. The codes are B2424(Leveling Motor Left Communication Malfunction, CURRENT), B2413(Headlight Swivel Motor RH,HISTORY), and B2418(Headlight Beam Level Control Motor RH,HISTORY). Does anybody know what parts I can buy and how to fix it/how much it would cost for the repairs. Can I buy parts seperately or do I have to buy a new headlamp for my 2012 lexus es350?
Any advice, will be grealy appreciated
Old 03-09-24, 08:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,172 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Here are a few older related threads but this has been discussed a few times. Has the car been in an accident? Do you have the CarFax?

Were the lights flashing like that when you got the car? Or did it just start?

New headlamps, and AFS system parts are very very expensive new. If needed you should hunt down junkyard parts, but you need more diagnosis to find what is really broken as I doubt all of that stuff broke at once on different sides of the car. You may need an experienced shop to do more in depth diagnosis than just reading codes in order to find out the cause of all of this before you waste money throwing expensive parts at it that do not solve the issue. See these links for more info and help adjusting the headlights yourself.

As member mcomer posted previously:
The AFS Automatic Focusing System responds to Steering Wheel Angle, Vehicle Speed and
weight distribution to both swing the lights left and right as well as up and down to compensate
for heavy loads that lower the rear and raise the lights. The AFS defeat button on the 2008 ES
is right above the gas pedal at the lower edge of the dash next to the Tire Pressure system reset
button. Generally left on but can be turned off by mechanics to aim the headlights. OP mentioned
that the button is on, a yellow dash light illuminates when AFS is turned off.

Failure of both lights to move would seem to rule out that the actual headlight mechanism(s) are the
trouble as it is highly unlikely that both would quit. Easy to check the fuse particularly if the yellow
AFS does not light up no matter which position the button is in. Next possibilities are going to involve
some diagnostic tools and some $$$'s to fix... The steering angle sensor and the speed sensor work
with the AFS ECU Electronic Control Unit to aim the lights. Likely Dealer or highly qualified shop to
check those out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...t-working.html

and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...placement.html

and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...placement.html

and https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...r-replace.html
Old 03-10-24, 04:15 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 759 Posts

Dwayne,

From you VIN number I can see that you have AFS. Also, the left headlight is aftermarket and the right on is OEM.
Now, I don't care about the history codes (B2413 and B2418). You can clear them and I am pretty sure they will not come back.
The problem is the left headlight.

You need to check a couple of things: since it is a aftermarket headlight you have to check if it is equipped with the swivel motor. Maybe it doesn't have one, maybe it is not connected properly.
I would remove the headlight (easier said than done) and check the situation. First, you need to check if you can move the low beam housing with you hand. It should be fixed.
Then check if there's a swivel motor. If not, check who makes that headlight and see if they make the motor separate.

If I was you, I would buy the headlight, OEM, from Ebay or parts yard.

For your left one it is important to have these three components:

Old 03-10-24, 05:31 PM
dwayne10norman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ESh
Dwayne,

From you VIN number I can see that you have AFS. Also, the left headlight is aftermarket and the right on is OEM.
Now, I don't care about the history codes (B2413 and B2418). You can clear them and I am pretty sure they will not come back.
The problem is the left headlight.

You need to check a couple of things: since it is a aftermarket headlight you have to check if it is equipped with the swivel motor. Maybe it doesn't have one, maybe it is not connected properly.
I would remove the headlight (easier said than done) and check the situation. First, you need to check if you can move the low beam housing with you hand. It should be fixed.
Then check if there's a swivel motor. If not, check who makes that headlight and see if they make the motor separate.

If I was you, I would buy the headlight, OEM, from Ebay or parts yard.

For your left one it is important to have these three components:

Hey ESh,
For the left headlamp, I'm probably just going to buy an OEM headlamp from eBay or find one from the junk yard. What are those 3 things you circled called? Additionally where is the swivel motor located and what's the difference between a swivel motor and a headlamp motor?
Thanks for the help really appreciate it
Old 03-10-24, 05:55 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

The swivel motor moves the low beam left and right. The other one moves the whole thing up and down.

The circled things are the connectors for these motors/actuators.
Old 03-11-24, 06:18 AM
dwayne10norman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ESh
The swivel motor moves the low beam left and right. The other one moves the whole thing up and down.

The circled things are the connectors for these motors/actuators.
Hey ESh,
For the the 3 parts you circled, do you have the part number so I can look them up?
Old 03-11-24, 06:43 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

MOTOR, HEADLAMP LEVELING, LH, part number: 85691-28011

The other two parts come with the headlight assy.