ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Serious steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 07:44 AM
Rfoster74
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious steering issues

I need help. I changed my passenger cv axle . About half way through my son came home (thinks he's a "mechanic" because he's a garage manager at a f-rest--e.. tells me go inside old man I got this. Me being a man that works 70 hrs labor jumped at the opportunity. I regretted it almost immediately. Just felt different. A year later I'm changing lower control arm and ball joint I see the axle is bad. Also sway bar links,upper motor mount, and bar bushings.cganfe all out. Go to driver side cv joint also bad. When pulling axle to replace it breaks at upper cv joint. I get a slide hammer and axle puller attachment and absolutely beat the he'll out of it for two days. I was scared I broke it. But back together, zero transmission problems. But steering is screwed. Can't hardly drive it. Wobbles with force pulling both directions. Change bad struts makes ride far better but still having steering issues. Tires and alignment are OK.any input would be appreciated. It does have 220k miles. It's my work car but still needs to be safe and reliable. Thanks
Old 03-13-24, 06:27 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

I did a simple search using the term axle and found some info that is linked below. You can do the same thing or try another term such as cvj etc. One has links to videos from The Car Care Nut on YouTube as he is a Master Toyota Tech and posts great instructional videos. I hope they help or some other member has more insight into your problems.
​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...placement.html
and

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...f-cv-axle.html
and
​​​​​​
Old 03-13-24, 07:12 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Ya, that's not the way to remove the inner bearing assy. the easier and less destructive way is to mount the axle horizontally in the vise and use a flat end medium sized punch and a large hammer to drive the lower lip of the body of the assy, never pound on the bearings themselves especially like he does when installing the inner bearing assy.
Also the outer joint should be purged with a large grease needle to remove some of the old grease and get some new in there, then the boot is installed and grease is put in the boot and the boot is put in place...you won't get much new grease into the outer joint by his method no matter how much the axle spins.

Normally the boots are "burped" by inserting a flat screwdriver under the outer clamp to let out excessive air trapped which always is there, then the clamps can be installed...burping on the large clamps is always harder especially on the inner joint.

In my opinion this guy is a bit of a hack.

Old 03-14-24, 09:24 AM
Rfoster74
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read something that said when changing lower control arm that you should measure from well to center of hub. Then tighten. I put mine on just hanging. Took all apart brought it up with a jack and tighten all up. Also adjusting tie rod ends 8 turns. Seems to be a big help..Then randomly my bearings go out in the back. Seems to be turning into a money pit