ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2008 ES wont start after checking all fuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 09:43 AM
dstocker
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ES wont start after checking all fuses

I had my car interior detailed and exterior washed and received it back with a CEL outline light and VSC lights on that were not on when it was dropped off. There may have been more. I also noticed that the car would start without pressing on the brake which was unusual. I drove it around for a day and then I pulled all the fuses, in both fuse boxes, one by one to check but found none were blown. I cannot be sure I got them all back in the incorrect slots. I am particularly worried about the "short" fuse. Is there a chart I can use to check what is supposed to be in each fuse slot? It's difficult to get into a position to check them in the drivers leg well. Also looks like there is a defroster relay block not being used in the engine electrical box for some reason. Is that normal? Pressing on the brake turns the start switch from orange to LED green. The cluster lights for VST and Battery come on, steering wheel lowers into position, but there is no starter engagement.
Old 03-11-24, 03:11 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 972 Likes on 732 Posts

Wait, first you were able to turn the engine even without pressing the brake pedal and now you can’t?

On the fuse cover you can see which fuse should go where. You will see the amperage number (5A, 10A…).
Old 03-11-24, 03:23 PM
dstocker
7th Gear

Thats correct. Got it back from the car wash and I didn't need to press the brake to start anymore. That was odd. Never did that before. Then, after pulling all the fuses and replacing them, it would not engage the starter at all. No clicking no nothing. I get a green light on the start button when pressing the brake and orange without pressing it. Which fuse block should I be looking at, interior or engine? Also, could I have damaged the "Short" that looks like a fuse and could that cause this problem? the Battery notification light is on.
Old 03-11-24, 03:37 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

First of all, check all the fuses again and put them in the right place.
The fuses and relays under the hood control the startability.

Also, there’s a possibility that the worker damaged the brake switch. Does your brake lights work?
Old 03-12-24, 09:12 AM
dstocker
7th Gear

That had occurred to me but the fact that the start switch changes from orange to green as well as the brake lights still work, pretty much validates the brake switch circuit I think.

While lying on my back upside down on the front seat with my head under the dash without my glasses I missed putting interior fuse #10 back in the correct location as there is an empty slot next to it. Who-da-thought? So I re-positioned the fuse and the car starts again! I'll have to do some testing on holding the brake when my son returns from ACE. His car dropped a window register and he's off for a metric bolt that stripped out being removed. The cluster "battery" light is still on. So there is still that...It's just really a relief to have it drivable with having another car down.
Old 03-12-24, 12:47 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

What the guy did to the car when detailing the interior? Did he remove the plastics under the steering wheel? Carpet?
Old 06-24-24, 09:14 AM
dstocker
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dstocker
I had my car interior detailed and exterior washed and received it back with a CEL outline light and VSC lights on that were not on when it was dropped off. There may have been more. I also noticed that the car would start without pressing on the brake which was unusual. I drove it around for a day and then I pulled all the fuses, in both fuse boxes, one by one to check but found none were blown. I cannot be sure I got them all back in the incorrect slots. I am particularly worried about the "short" fuse. Is there a chart I can use to check what is supposed to be in each fuse slot? It's difficult to get into a position to check them in the drivers leg well. Also looks like there is a defroster relay block not being used in the engine electrical box for some reason. Is that normal? Pressing on the brake turns the start switch from orange to LED green. The cluster lights for VST and Battery come on, steering wheel lowers into position, but there is no starter engagement.
Ok so here is a better summary. Sorry for the redundancy. Still have the battery light on. Before car wash, car had no dash lights on except for tail light indicator (normal because no CAN resistors on LEDs). Got it back from car wash and it had Stability, check engine outline, and I think battery but not sure? Didn't check the cruise. I figured it was a bad fuse or wet connector. I waited several days for it to dry out. Then pulled every fuse in both the cab and under the hood. When I got done, no burnt fuses, cruise control didn't work, car would start without pressing the brake (at least for a while after starting the car and turning it off) and the aforementioned lights all stayed on after starting the car. I drove it for a while longer. Figured I had some fuses in the wrong place, put them back later. Sure enough, I had at least a couple crossed up with unused slots. I put them back using an online guide and the fuse cover. I changed an Ox sensor in Bank 2. (the car has 220K miles and I need to smog it) Drove 80+ miles. It went off. Now the only light on is the tail light indicator and the battery light. The battery light is on in ACC without even starting so I don't think the alternator is an issue.The battery is 3-4 yrs old, running 12.25 surface voltage. Charging 13.75v with radio, ac, lights on. Never a hint of a starting issue. Is this below specs and I have LEDs so I'm just not depleting the power? Connections are clean. Water levels good. I suspected the Short Pin as I thought I may have damaged it pulling the fuses out with a crappy needlenose I should have thrown away or put in the tackle box. I'm not sure what it does. At this point the only thing I can figure is the alternator is getting weak and I should probably start looking for a new one or rebuild it along with replacing the remaining O2 sensors.