ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2012 ES 350 w/ 70K Miles - Just changed out fluids

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 07:29 AM
2012es350
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 2012 ES 350 w/ 70K Miles - Just changed out fluids

I recently purchased a 2012 ES 350 with just under 70K miles from a private seller. I am based in the coastal southeastern region of the U.S. I took it to my local Toyota dealership and had them change the fluids (oil, transmission, coolant, brake, and power steering). The nearest Lexus dealerships to me are about an hour away, but Toyota is just 15 minutes up the road. I was concerned about having the transmission fluid changed as I have heard new transmission fluid can sometimes do more harm than good. However, I posted this earlier and all of the responses that I received indicated that I should change it. My service advisor at Toyota double checked with the technician there and both confirmed it should be okay/beneficial to change the transmission fluid. The reason I am posting in this thread is that I have a few new questions:

1. Should I begin to experience slipping or other transmission issues, is there anything I can do to mitigate these issues even though I have already pulled the trigger on the transmission fluid change?
2. What is the recommended mileages/timeframes that I should look into having each of these fluids changed again?
3. I asked my service advisor when is the next time I should bring my car in for a service not regarding the fluids. I was recommended that at 90K miles I should have the spark plugs, throttle body, and MAF system serviced. Does this sound about right, and is there anything additional that you would recommend having done at this time or possibly earlier?
Old 03-28-24, 08:16 AM
spaceballs
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats on your new purchase! To answer your questions:

1. No if they did it professionally, I wouldn't worry about it, Toyota techs generally know what they're doing, especially for run of the mill maintenance items like trans fluid. You'll want to change your transmission fluid at this mileage as it'll preserve the longevity of the transmission unless the previous seller drove it like a maniac and wore out the clutch discs.
2. Check your manual, it should be in the back pages, but generally:

Transmission - 60k miles or 6 years
Coolant - 50k miles or 5 years
Brake fluid - 3-5 years or when it starts to turn green (that means there is moisture inside and it's less effective)
Spark plugs - As per your maintenance schedule in manual
Engine Air Filter - As per your maintenance schedule in manual
Cabin Air Filter - Every 3 years, but take it out regularly and give it a good shake to get the debris out, Lexus have activated charcoal filters which last a long time

I change my oil every 8000 km/6 months, some people say you can go for longer but the 2GR-FE does NOT like low oil and a lifetime of one extra oil change/year is cheaper than an engine shortblock. YMMV.

3. Spark plugs are NOT necessary at 90k miles, spark plugs should be changed according to mileage not age, and the interval for iridium is ~120k miles, so yours still have plenty of life left on them.
Throttle body/MAF is not necessary unless you're experiencing poor fuel economy.

I would also recommend as a precaution:

- Probably change out the PCV valve - part is $15 and it takes approx 20 minutes of labour, worth doing as a maintenance item every 90k miles or so. It's super cheap so why not.
- Check if/when the water pump was last replaced - no need to change it now but ask your mechanic to check for leaks with every service. The water pump on this can leak but usually this occurs when people don't do coolant flushes at regular intervals, the coolant becomes slightly acidic and starts to eat at the seals.
The following 3 users liked this post by spaceballs:
2012es350 (08-13-24), Clutchless (03-30-24), iamreal2 (08-22-24)